+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP With Spouse OWP Experience

SNP0201

Star Member
Mar 27, 2020
@SatNight Thank you for this amazing information, it's really helpful. I have few questions for my application. What should i write for the original purpose for coming to canada? Also, can you please elaborate what you added/explained in your letter of explanation? Is that possible for you to share that document by removing your personal information. It would be a great help if you can share it! (okletsrock002@gmail.com) TIA. :)

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
Do you mean, what to write about spouse's arrival in Canada? I don't remember what we said, because I was already in Canada on spouse OWP before that.

In the letter of explanation, my wife simply explained what she is applying for (PGWP with a spouse OWP for me). She just explained that she was applying on the very same day that she graduated, because otherwise she wouldn't have been allowed to continue working (because she stopped being a student). I doubt our letter of explanation would be of any use to you. The letter of explanation should simply tell them what you are applying for and any specific thing you wish to emphasize. But stating clearly, "I am applying for X and for Y for my spouse" is how you should start, I believe. List where you are graduating from and any other specific circumstance that you wish to emphasize. For example, if your spouse is abroad, emphasize that you are applying for SOWP, too, together with PGWP. That will be a different application, but it helps them to sort things out. Always make things as clear as possible and easy for administrators to figure out what you are asking for! That is my main advice. Good luck with your permits!

daninmotion

Star Member
Apr 22, 2022
Calgary
Category........
WP
What documents do you need?

... IMM5710 form (ask if you have specific questions about this); ...

Hello there, I am currently on a SOWP and my husband holds a Student permit and is finishing his classes next week. Because of COVID he was unable to renew his passport before applying for his Study Permit so we were not able to get the extra 90 days after he finish his classes to have time to apply for his PGWP.
He finishes his classes 04/29 and both of our permits expire 05/08...

My question is, if we apply together for his PGWP and for my OSWP.. Am I allowed to keep working while we get an answer? or as a spouse, I need to stop working, change my status to visitor and wait for my new OSPW to arrive?
I will apply for my OSPW with him but my current permit will expire a day after that, so not sure what to do while I wait for the decision on my application.

tw.kishor

May 7, 2022
Hi guys,

I'm in similar situation as some of you are. My wife is currently studying (1 year PG course) & I'm working as a Software Engineer in Canada (I guess it doesn't matter). Her student visa & my OWP expires in 31st July 2022. I didn't know that my wife need to have NOC 0,A/B. So I was all relaxed & was hoping to apply for PR (Alberta Tech PNP) in next 3/4 months but looks like it isn't easy as it seemed. What would you advise? I was thinking to extend her study visa for another year & I get extended without worrying about NOC. And may be I can apply for PR before her student expires in next year. OR should I change my status to visitor until she get's NOC 0,A/B?

Thanks
Kishor

IbrahimS22

Jun 27, 2018
Hi guys,

I'm in similar situation as some of you are. My wife is currently studying (1 year PG course) & I'm working as a Software Engineer in Canada (I guess it doesn't matter). Her student visa & my OWP expires in 31st July 2022. I didn't know that my wife need to have NOC 0,A/B. So I was all relaxed & was hoping to apply for PR (Alberta Tech PNP) in next 3/4 months but looks like it isn't easy as it seemed. What would you advise? I was thinking to extend her study visa for another year & I get extended without worrying about NOC. And may be I can apply for PR before her student expires in next year. OR should I change my status to visitor until she get's NOC 0,A/B?

Thanks
Kishor
Hi Kishor,

We have exactly the same situation with my wife. She graduated in April and both of our permits expire on July 30. Right now, we are applying for PGWP for her, with me alongside for the OWP. I will be eligible to apply for CEC in June but since it can be lengthy, I want to get temporary permits (PGWP and OWP) before the expiry. The thing is she has just graduated and still could not find a job.

Question to everyone reading this: Should we apply together anyway, explaining the situation in a letter, and wait for her PGWP at least? Maybe she'll get it, start working and I'll wait for her first 3 payslips to upload. Or could they reject my application if conditions are not met beforehand?

kunal1364

Jun 16, 2021
Did you apply your OWP with PGWP, any update on your application??

Please share your experience.

Thanks

Hi Kishor,

We have exactly the same situation with my wife. She graduated in April and both of our permits expire on July 30. Right now, we are applying for PGWP for her, with me alongside for the OWP. I will be eligible to apply for CEC in June but since it can be lengthy, I want to get temporary permits (PGWP and OWP) before the expiry. The thing is she has just graduated and still could not find a job.

Question to everyone reading this: Should we apply together anyway, explaining the situation in a letter, and wait for her PGWP at least? Maybe she'll get it, start working and I'll wait for her first 3 payslips to upload. Or could they reject my application if conditions are not met beforehand?

IbrahimS22

Jun 27, 2018
Did you apply your OWP with PGWP, any update on your application??

Please share your experience.

Thanks
Yes we applied in May but without her job at that time and we explained the situation in Client info section. Later she found a job in the beginning of June. Now we are just waiting for her 3 pay slips to be issued, so we can upload those and employment letter. The application is still in processing phase, the only update was that we received a letter saying that we can work until September if our application still not concludes yet.

tw.kishor

May 7, 2022
Hi Kishor,

Hi IBrahim,

We actually decided to extend her study permit instead. Also, cannot guarantee that we will receive an ITA within 1 year if we go for WP now which only be valid for one year. Also, I am not sure if I even qualify for EE now as my work experience in overseas was a contracting position.

Reactions: IbrahimS22

Mrsadfs

Jun 1, 2019
Can a spouse who applied for PGWP apply for their spouse’s OWP using the same GC key account? Or does the spouse need to create their own account to apply for the OWP since both PGWP and OWP weren’t applied for at the same time??

tw.kishor

May 7, 2022
Can a spouse who applied for PGWP apply for their spouse’s OWP using the same GC key account? Or does the spouse need to create their own account to apply for the OWP since both PGWP and OWP weren’t applied for at the same time??
Hi Mrsadfs, you can use the same GC key account of the main applicant (PGWP) to apply for the spousal open work permit. When main applicant applies for PGWP, it will ask you if you want to include spouse/family members & that’s when Spouse OWP can be applied in the same application. Note: fees are separate for each member.

Mrsadfs

Jun 1, 2019
Hi Mrsadfs, you can use the same GC key account of the main applicant (PGWP) to apply for the spousal open work permit. When main applicant applies for PGWP, it will ask you if you want to include spouse/family members & that’s when Spouse OWP can be applied in the same application. Note: fees are separate for each member.
Thank you. The thing is I assumed I would say yes if I was applying for both at the same time. I had put no to that question because the PGWP application was submitted in April and now I want to apply for the my spouse OWP. Can it still be done from the main applicant account

tw.kishor

May 7, 2022
Thank you. The thing is I assumed I would say yes if I was applying for both at the same time. I had put no to that question because the PGWP application was submitted in April and now I want to apply for the my spouse OWP. Can it still be done from the main applicant account
Oh right, so yeah you will have to apply for her from her own account I believe.

IbrahimS22

Jun 27, 2018
Yes we applied in May but without her job at that time and we explained the situation in Client info section. Later she found a job in the beginning of June. Now we are just waiting for her 3 pay slips to be issued, so we can upload those and employment letter. The application is still in processing phase, the only update was that we received a letter saying that we can work until September if our application still not concludes yet.
Hi everyone,

My wife (principal applicant) finally received her employment letter and 3 pay slips. Her PGWP application (with spousal OWP) is in processing stage now but I want to upload these new documents too, so I can get a Work Permit as well. I don't how to upload them though, we haven't received a request from IRCC. Any idea how should we do it?

Kaur1991

Jan 21, 2022
Thank you so very much SatNight!!!!
I was looking for the PGWP & Spouse OWP application together. If I can apply? Just found your information. I'm very thankful to you to providing such a detailed information which is helping me even after may be more than 2 years you posted it.
Feeling blessed to find this information today.
Thank you so much once again.
You are really a wonderful personality who took time share your experience to help others!

Tayandibu

Star Member
Oct 10, 2019
Hi everyone,

My wife (principal applicant) finally received her employment letter and 3 pay slips. Her PGWP application (with spousal OWP) is in processing stage now but I want to upload these new documents too, so I can get a Work Permit as well. I don't how to upload them though, we haven't received a request from IRCC. Any idea how should we do it?
Hi Ibrahim, you can upload the documents using IRCC webform. Please find the link below:
https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx

I will also be applying soon. Any updates as regarding your applications?