+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP With Spouse OWP Experience

Neethuvyshal1#

Dec 3, 2020
Ok thank you so much..i am going to submit his visa without help of a lawyer..and can i submit by paper in one the ircc office inside canada on behalf of by husband?i mean mailing all documents..

Niusham

Star Member
Sep 24, 2019
Canada
Category........
CEC
I know many people ask about PGWP and OWP for spouse. My wife got her PGWP last week and I got approved for OWP yesterday, so here are my experiences and answers to some questions people asked.

Our situation: My wife was a Doctoral student and defended her thesis in January. She worked full time in a NOC A occupation (on campus) before the defense and all while waiting for PGWP. We applied for my OWP two weeks after she applied for PGWP. She got her PGWP for 3 years and I got my OWP.

The procedure is very straightforward, and indeed one of the easiest ones (we also have experience with applications for tourist visa, study permit and spouse OWP for a spouse of an international student). This was easy because it required fewer documents, and no proof of funds whatsoever. Some people feel it is helpful to include a proof of funds for the PGWP applicant or the spouse, but it doesn't seem to matter. However, one thing is absolutely, 100% necessary: to get a spouse OWP, the PGWP applicant/holder needs to have employment (even temporary, part-time) in a NOC 0, A or B occupation. You can get a PGWP without a job, but your spouse cannot get a OWP without you having a job in a NOC 0, A or B.

Why does a PGWP holder/applicant has to have a job for spousal OWP?

I know this requirement seems weird, because spouses are eligible for an OWP when you are a student. But you are not a student anymore; you are a worker (PGWP is an open work permit), and this is a different category of an applicant. Spouses of temporary workers can get an OWP only if you are a skilled worker. For other classes of workers (those with LMIA) it is clear whether they are skilled or not, because LMIA (closed work permit) tells what kind of an occupation you have. But PGWP is an open work permit, so they don't know you are a skilled worker. This is why you need a job in a NOC 0, A or B occupation for your spouse to qualify.

Please note that this doesn't have to be a permanent job, or even a full-time one. My wife works on a semester contract (she teaches as a sessional instructor at her University. Her contracts are typically for 4 months). This is because they are not judging your resources or how much funds you have; the job requirement is to confirm that the PGWP applicant/holder is a skilled worker. It also has no bearing on the length of the permit. My wife and I got a 3 year permit based on her studies, even though her contracts are short.

Yes, we can wonder why they can't deduce that someone with a Canadian university education is skilled (perhaps they want to see you actually working?), but it is how it is.

Furthermore - and this needs to be emphasized - the PGWP holder/applicant has to be already working. A new contract or a future job won't do. You need to submit 3 payslips to prove employment. I am not sure why they insist on this, but it is the requirement.

Can we apply together?

One of the most common questions is whether it's possible to apply together: a former student for a PGWP, and their spouse for a OWP. The answer is yes, as long as you fulfill other requirements, namely, the PGWP applicant having a job in a NOC 0, A or B occupation and 3 payslips. I will get back to this in a moment.

To apply together, first apply for PGWP. You need this, because spouse OWP needs a proof of spouse's legal status in Canada. This is where those whose spouses already have a PGWP upload the PGWP. However, when applying together, you should upload your spouse's confirmation of their PGWP application. It contains a number they will use when accessing the OWP application. Please note that you don't HAVE to apply together on the same day. We applied for my OWP two weeks after my wife applied for a PGWP. (But we were in no hurry because she graduated a year before her study permit - and my OWP expired. If your permits are expiring, of course do apply together).

Spouse OWP application will always be approved after the PGWP. You cannot have an OWP before they have a PGWP, but it typically goes quickly. For example, we applied for my OWP two weeks after my wife applied for a PGWP and I was approved one week after her. I don't know if it was speeded up because of her approval, or if processing time got quicker, but it doesn't really matter.

What documents do you need?

Many times, they ask for more documents than it is clear from the application, but this is not the case here. IMM5710 form (ask if you have specific questions about this); IMM 5257, passport scan, photo, marriage certificate, spouse's proof of status (confirmation of their PGWP application if they don't already have a PGWP) and a proof the spouse works in a NOC 0, A or B with 3 payslips. There is no specific form on the upload page for this, so you combine these documents and upload them under "Family member proof of status" or under "Client information". (I don't think it matters where). I also added a short letter of explanation under "Client information" and attached my current OWP, although it was not asked. As always, you need to combine documents into a single PDF file to upload them under the same category.

Again: you don't need a proof of funds for any of you. I was unemployed at the time and it didn't matter. We put "homemaker" as my occupation. It is a legitimate answer. Spouses with OWP don't have to actually work. And even if they do work in a great occupation it still doesn't matter in the case a PGWP holder/applicant doesn't have a NOC 0, A or B job.

How to Prove a NOC 0, A or B Occupation?

There are a few ways. The PGWP applicant/holder has to have a letter from their job confirming the NOC. I hear they say that you need a full letter detailing duties, etc. but we didn't have that. My wife asked for that letter and they said "they don't do that" and that it's obvious that university lecturer is a skilled job. They told her all she could get is a letter confirming she works as a lecturer. However, she explained the situation (PGWP application), so they agreed to explicitly mention her NOC (4011) in the letter, but no duties and responsibilities. This was enough. Not sure if it's because it a highly skilled, university job, but it was ok even if the letter didn't list duties. Maybe you need the list of duties only if they don't mention the NOC in the letter. So, if you can, get them to write the NOC on the letter.

Are 3 payslips really necessary?

And finally, we get to the payslips. The PGWP applicant/holder has to be actively working for their spouse to get an OWP. A new contract or "starting a job soon" won't do. You need to submit 3 payslips from their job to get an OWP. Without this, they won't give the OWP and the spouse will need to apply to change their status to a visitor until this requirement is met.

I know that this is the most difficult of the requirements, and it basically asks for someone to start working in a skilled occupation before graduation, all with the limit of working 20 hours off campus. My wife works at her own university and she was always allowed to work full time on campus, so this is different than most situations. I also know it sucks for a spouse to change their status to visitor because it would also mean to stop working if they were working before, but this is the only way.

The good news is that "3 payslips" does not mean "3 months". Those who receive paychecks more frequently can gather this more quickly. I've heard some people here say that they had success with 2 payslips or even one (with an explanation in the application about it), but I am not sure how it goes, or if it truly works. Perhaps you can ask to update your application with new payslips as they arrive, if the processing time is as long as it is right now. However, I have to emphasize that I have no experience with submitting fewer than 3 payslips and no idea if if works or not.

Good luck to everyone applying. This is not so difficult to get as long as you are eligible and follow the rules.
Hi, do you have any experience in connection with Temporary Resident Visa renewal?
I have open work permit and I am currently in Canada. My husband has a closed work permit.
I am not employed right now and I want to apply for a new Visa (previous Visa expired).
What should I answer this question in form 5257?
"Purpose of travel"? Should I choose "returning worker"? Or something else?

Imranhumayun

May 7, 2018
Canada
Visa Office......
Lahore
App. Filed.......
27-06-2018
Hi,
I recently completed my graduation and hoping soon apply for PGWP. My spouse is on OWP and i wish to extend her OWP with my PGWP. I read at website i cannot extend my spouse OWP unless I received my PGWP along with skill category job, and employer letter, 3 pay stubs etc. My question is that, my PGWP will take around 3 months and in three months my wife OWP will expire. What should i do apply altogether my PGWP and spouse OWP extension ???
or meanwhile i apply for some other visa for my spouse.??

one more thing during my study permit i worked in NOC 0 part time 20 hrs for almost 2 years. Can i use those pay stubs and letter from employer!!!... will they consider it as skilled ?? Since i am no longer student after getting official transcript and stopped working because of PGWP.. does it has to be new skilled job?? Or previous part time skilled job proof is enough!!

Imranhumayun

May 7, 2018
Canada
Visa Office......
Lahore
App. Filed.......
27-06-2018
I know many people ask about PGWP and OWP for spouse. My wife got her PGWP last week and I got approved for OWP yesterday, so here are my experiences and answers to some questions people asked.

Our situation: My wife was a Doctoral student and defended her thesis in January. She worked full time in a NOC A occupation (on campus) before the defense and all while waiting for PGWP. We applied for my OWP two weeks after she applied for PGWP. She got her PGWP for 3 years and I got my OWP.

The procedure is very straightforward, and indeed one of the easiest ones (we also have experience with applications for tourist visa, study permit and spouse OWP for a spouse of an international student). This was easy because it required fewer documents, and no proof of funds whatsoever. Some people feel it is helpful to include a proof of funds for the PGWP applicant or the spouse, but it doesn't seem to matter. However, one thing is absolutely, 100% necessary: to get a spouse OWP, the PGWP applicant/holder needs to have employment (even temporary, part-time) in a NOC 0, A or B occupation. You can get a PGWP without a job, but your spouse cannot get a OWP without you having a job in a NOC 0, A or B.

I know this requirement seems weird, because spouses are eligible for an OWP when you are a student. But you are not a student anymore; you are a worker (PGWP is an open work permit), and this is a different category of an applicant. Spouses of temporary workers can get an OWP only if you are a skilled worker. For other classes of workers (those with LMIA) it is clear whether they are skilled or not, because LMIA (closed work permit) tells what kind of an occupation you have. But PGWP is an open work permit, so they don't know you are a skilled worker. This is why you need a job in a NOC 0, A or B occupation for your spouse to qualify.

Please note that this doesn't have to be a permanent job, or even a full-time one. My wife works on a semester contract (she teaches as a sessional instructor at her University. Her contracts are typically for 4 months). This is because they are not judging your resources or how much funds you have; the job requirement is to confirm that the PGWP applicant/holder is a skilled worker. It also has no bearing on the length of the permit. My wife and I got a 3 year permit based on her studies, even though her contracts are short.

Yes, we can wonder why they can't deduce that someone with a Canadian university education is skilled (perhaps they want to see you actually working?), but it is how it is.

Furthermore - and this needs to be emphasized - the PGWP holder/applicant has to be already working. A new contract or a future job won't do. You need to submit 3 payslips to prove employment. I am not sure why they insist on this, but it is the requirement.

Can we apply together?

One of the most common questions is whether it's possible to apply together: a former student for a PGWP, and their spouse for a OWP. The answer is yes, as long as you fulfill other requirements, namely, the PGWP applicant having a job in a NOC 0, A or B occupation and 3 payslips. I will get back to this in a moment.

To apply together, first apply for PGWP. You need this, because spouse OWP needs a proof of spouse's legal status in Canada. This is where those whose spouses already have a PGWP upload the PGWP. However, when applying together, you should upload your spouse's confirmation of their PGWP application. It contains a number they will use when accessing the OWP application. Please note that you don't HAVE to apply together on the same day. We applied for my OWP two weeks after my wife applied for a PGWP. (But we were in no hurry because she graduated a year before her study permit - and my OWP expired. If your permits are expiring, of course do apply together).

Spouse OWP application will always be approved after the PGWP. You cannot have an OWP before they have a PGWP, but it typically goes quickly. For example, we applied for my OWP two weeks after my wife applied for a PGWP and I was approved one week after her. I don't know if it was speeded up because of her approval, or if processing time got quicker, but it doesn't really matter.

Many times, they ask for more documents than it is clear from the application, but this is not the case here. IMM5710 form (ask if you have specific questions about this); IMM 5257, passport scan, photo, marriage certificate, spouse's proof of status (confirmation of their PGWP application if they don't already have a PGWP) and a proof the spouse works in a NOC 0, A or B with 3 payslips. There is no specific form on the upload page for this, so you combine these documents and upload them under "Family member proof of status" or under "Client information". (I don't think it matters where). I also added a short letter of explanation under "Client information" and attached my current OWP, although it was not asked. As always, you need to combine documents into a single PDF file to upload them under the same category.

Again: you don't need a proof of funds for any of you. I was unemployed at the time and it didn't matter. We put "homemaker" as my occupation. It is a legitimate answer. Spouses with OWP don't have to actually work. And even if they do work in a great occupation it still doesn't matter in the case a PGWP holder/applicant doesn't have a NOC 0, A or B job.

There are a few ways. The PGWP applicant/holder has to have a letter from their job confirming the NOC. I hear they say that you need a full letter detailing duties, etc. but we didn't have that. My wife asked for that letter and they said "they don't do that" and that it's obvious that university lecturer is a skilled job. They told her all she could get is a letter confirming she works as a lecturer. However, she explained the situation (PGWP application), so they agreed to explicitly mention her NOC (4011) in the letter, but no duties and responsibilities. This was enough. Not sure if it's because it a highly skilled, university job, but it was ok even if the letter didn't list duties. Maybe you need the list of duties only if they don't mention the NOC in the letter. So, if you can, get them to write the NOC on the letter.

And finally, we get to the payslips. The PGWP applicant/holder has to be actively working for their spouse to get an OWP. A new contract or "starting a job soon" won't do. You need to submit 3 payslips from their job to get an OWP. Without this, they won't give the OWP and the spouse will need to apply to change their status to a visitor until this requirement is met.

I know that this is the most difficult of the requirements, and it basically asks for someone to start working in a skilled occupation before graduation, all with the limit of working 20 hours off campus. My wife works at her own university and she was always allowed to work full time on campus, so this is different than most situations. I also know it sucks for a spouse to change their status to visitor because it would also mean to stop working if they were working before, but this is the only way.

The good news is that "3 payslips" does not mean "3 months". Those who receive paychecks more frequently can gather this more quickly. I've heard some people here say that they had success with 2 payslips or even one (with an explanation in the application about it), but I am not sure how it goes, or if it truly works. Perhaps you can ask to update your application with new payslips as they arrive, if the processing time is as long as it is right now. However, I have to emphasize that I have no experience with submitting fewer than 3 payslips and no idea if if works or not.

Good luck to everyone applying. This is not so difficult to get as long as you are eligible and follow the rules.
Hi,
I recently completed my graduation and hoping soon apply for PGWP. My spouse is on OWP and i wish to extend her OWP with my PGWP. I read at website i cannot extend my spouse OWP unless I received my PGWP along with skill category job, and employer letter, 3 pay stubs etc. My question is that, my PGWP will take around 3 months and in three months my wife OWP will expire. What should i do apply altogether my PGWP and spouse OWP extension ???
or meanwhile i apply for some other visa for my spouse.??

one more thing during my study permit i worked in NOC 0 part time 20 hrs for almost 2 years. Can i use those pay stubs and letter from employer!!!... will they consider it as skilled ?? Since i am no longer student after getting official transcript and stopped working because of PGWP.. does it has to be new skilled job?? Or previous part time skilled job proof is enough!!

Ppankaj9379

Aug 23, 2018
Hello guy
I have a quick question that I am on pgwp so I am going to apply my wife she is in india so I need to ask before she apply does she need to change her passport after marriage.like adress and marital status

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
Hello,

I would assume this to be important. I guess there could be documents to prove her identity that you could send instead, but I would change all of this first. Remember that you don't have to apply together; she can apply a bit later, once her documents are in order. You don't have to wait for your decision to do that.

anisha1992

Oct 20, 2020
Thank you @SatNight for taking time to write this post. Its an old post so I was wondering if they are still issuing OWP to spouses during covid, if the spouse is not currently in Canada?
Thank you very much for your help.

ToriiiJ

Nov 19, 2020
Hi, I am a recent Postgrad from Seneca College.

Came to Canada in Dec 2019, I did 1 year Postgrad certificate course and graduated in Aug 2020 (of course the graduation letter states it is 1 year program). Since I have 90 days of time to apply for my PGWP, I am yet to apply for it.

My wife is already here in Toronto, working for a Customer Service role NOC C job since Aug 2020 (because of this pandemic we decided to go with some available job) till date.

Is it wise to apply together for PGWP and her OWP extension (I do understand that as per the details given by @SatNight, it is highly possible that her OWP extension might be refused.

What is the wise thing to do now? ( I would get just 1 more year to stay under PGWP). Can someone help me please!!!!
Hi, was your pgwp approved and for how long ?

drifter12

Jul 9, 2021
Hi! Thanks a lot for the detailed post! I stumbled across it after a year but I was wondering, is it because your wife had an ongoing 4 month contract that the process was straightforward? Meanwhile, what about people with part-time jobs (like 4 month summer jobs), whose spouses want to apply for an OWP? Do you think they will be successful if they apply? I am on PGWP and doing a contractual research job and I get my paychecks more frequently. Also want to emphasize that my contract won't be renewed so I'll have to look for another job at the end of this contract. Thanks!

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
I don't know if they knew it was an ongoing contract. The new ones weren't ready. I forgot if we showed the old ones.

In any case, this us not of importance. The spouse's job doesn't need to be permanent. They ask for this stuff not to show that the spouse has a stable job, but to demonstrate that the spouse is a skilled worker.

drifter12

Jul 9, 2021
I don't know if they knew it was an ongoing contract. The new ones weren't ready. I forgot if we showed the old ones.

In any case, this us not of importance. The spouse's job doesn't need to be permanent. They ask for this stuff not to show that the spouse has a stable job, but to demonstrate that the spouse is a skilled worker.
Thanks again! I've read on the CIC website that: Spouse needs to be employed in an NOC skill type 0 / A / B occupation for 6 months or longer. Does that mean the spouse's job needs to be for atleast 6 months or that he/she should be eligible to work in Canada for 6 months or more?

Reactions: Myahudi Jr II

SNP0201

Star Member
Mar 27, 2020

Can we apply together?

Thank you for this wonderful info. I am confused at form requirements if i need 5710 or 5257 or both. My application is inland (Within Canada). Also, where i should upload paystubs of my spouse?

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
I forgot which is 5710 and which is 5257. Paystubs I think will all go into that additional documents section. That is an extremely important field. You should attach all the important documents not otherwise requested specifically to it (and join several PDFs if need be). That is an important field but people sometimes ignore it because it is not specified what you should include there.