+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP With Spouse OWP Experience

Mar 29, 2021
I know many people ask about PGWP and OWP for spouse. My wife got her PGWP last week and I got approved for OWP yesterday, so here are my experiences and answers to some questions people asked.

Our situation: My wife was a Doctoral student and defended her thesis in January. She worked full time in a NOC A occupation (on campus) before the defense and all while waiting for PGWP. We applied for my OWP two weeks after she applied for PGWP. She got her PGWP for 3 years and I got my OWP.

The procedure is very straightforward, and indeed one of the easiest ones (we also have experience with applications for tourist visa, study permit and spouse OWP for a spouse of an international student). This was easy because it required fewer documents, and no proof of funds whatsoever. Some people feel it is helpful to include a proof of funds for the PGWP applicant or the spouse, but it doesn't seem to matter. However, one thing is absolutely, 100% necessary: to get a spouse OWP, the PGWP applicant/holder needs to have employment (even temporary, part-time) in a NOC 0, A or B occupation. You can get a PGWP without a job, but your spouse cannot get a OWP without you having a job in a NOC 0, A or B.

Why does a PGWP holder/applicant has to have a job for spousal OWP?

I know this requirement seems weird, because spouses are eligible for an OWP when you are a student. But you are not a student anymore; you are a worker (PGWP is an open work permit), and this is a different category of an applicant. Spouses of temporary workers can get an OWP only if you are a skilled worker. For other classes of workers (those with LMIA) it is clear whether they are skilled or not, because LMIA (closed work permit) tells what kind of an occupation you have. But PGWP is an open work permit, so they don't know you are a skilled worker. This is why you need a job in a NOC 0, A or B occupation for your spouse to qualify.

Please note that this doesn't have to be a permanent job, or even a full-time one. My wife works on a semester contract (she teaches as a sessional instructor at her University. Her contracts are typically for 4 months). This is because they are not judging your resources or how much funds you have; the job requirement is to confirm that the PGWP applicant/holder is a skilled worker. It also has no bearing on the length of the permit. My wife and I got a 3 year permit based on her studies, even though her contracts are short.

Yes, we can wonder why they can't deduce that someone with a Canadian university education is skilled (perhaps they want to see you actually working?), but it is how it is.

Furthermore - and this needs to be emphasized - the PGWP holder/applicant has to be already working. A new contract or a future job won't do. You need to submit 3 payslips to prove employment. I am not sure why they insist on this, but it is the requirement.

Can we apply together?

One of the most common questions is whether it's possible to apply together: a former student for a PGWP, and their spouse for a OWP. The answer is yes, as long as you fulfill other requirements, namely, the PGWP applicant having a job in a NOC 0, A or B occupation and 3 payslips. I will get back to this in a moment.

To apply together, first apply for PGWP. You need this, because spouse OWP needs a proof of spouse's legal status in Canada. This is where those whose spouses already have a PGWP upload the PGWP. However, when applying together, you should upload your spouse's confirmation of their PGWP application. It contains a number they will use when accessing the OWP application. Please note that you don't HAVE to apply together on the same day. We applied for my OWP two weeks after my wife applied for a PGWP. (But we were in no hurry because she graduated a year before her study permit - and my OWP expired. If your permits are expiring, of course do apply together).

Spouse OWP application will always be approved after the PGWP. You cannot have an OWP before they have a PGWP, but it typically goes quickly. For example, we applied for my OWP two weeks after my wife applied for a PGWP and I was approved one week after her. I don't know if it was speeded up because of her approval, or if processing time got quicker, but it doesn't really matter.

What documents do you need?

Many times, they ask for more documents than it is clear from the application, but this is not the case here. IMM5710 form (ask if you have specific questions about this); IMM 5257, passport scan, photo, marriage certificate, spouse's proof of status (confirmation of their PGWP application if they don't already have a PGWP) and a proof the spouse works in a NOC 0, A or B with 3 payslips. There is no specific form on the upload page for this, so you combine these documents and upload them under "Family member proof of status" or under "Client information". (I don't think it matters where). I also added a short letter of explanation under "Client information" and attached my current OWP, although it was not asked. As always, you need to combine documents into a single PDF file to upload them under the same category.

Again: you don't need a proof of funds for any of you. I was unemployed at the time and it didn't matter. We put "homemaker" as my occupation. It is a legitimate answer. Spouses with OWP don't have to actually work. And even if they do work in a great occupation it still doesn't matter in the case a PGWP holder/applicant doesn't have a NOC 0, A or B job.

How to Prove a NOC 0, A or B Occupation?

There are a few ways. The PGWP applicant/holder has to have a letter from their job confirming the NOC. I hear they say that you need a full letter detailing duties, etc. but we didn't have that. My wife asked for that letter and they said "they don't do that" and that it's obvious that university lecturer is a skilled job. They told her all she could get is a letter confirming she works as a lecturer. However, she explained the situation (PGWP application), so they agreed to explicitly mention her NOC (4011) in the letter, but no duties and responsibilities. This was enough. Not sure if it's because it a highly skilled, university job, but it was ok even if the letter didn't list duties. Maybe you need the list of duties only if they don't mention the NOC in the letter. So, if you can, get them to write the NOC on the letter.

Are 3 payslips really necessary?

And finally, we get to the payslips. The PGWP applicant/holder has to be actively working for their spouse to get an OWP. A new contract or "starting a job soon" won't do. You need to submit 3 payslips from their job to get an OWP. Without this, they won't give the OWP and the spouse will need to apply to change their status to a visitor until this requirement is met.

I know that this is the most difficult of the requirements, and it basically asks for someone to start working in a skilled occupation before graduation, all with the limit of working 20 hours off campus. My wife works at her own university and she was always allowed to work full time on campus, so this is different than most situations. I also know it sucks for a spouse to change their status to visitor because it would also mean to stop working if they were working before, but this is the only way.

The good news is that "3 payslips" does not mean "3 months". Those who receive paychecks more frequently can gather this more quickly. I've heard some people here say that they had success with 2 payslips or even one (with an explanation in the application about it), but I am not sure how it goes, or if it truly works. Perhaps you can ask to update your application with new payslips as they arrive, if the processing time is as long as it is right now. However, I have to emphasize that I have no experience with submitting fewer than 3 payslips and no idea if if works or not.

Good luck to everyone applying. This is not so difficult to get as long as you are eligible and follow the rules.
Hi. Thanks for this. Very informative and helpful. Just wanted to clarify. Can the 3 payslips be dated before the PGWP holder actually submitted the application or they have to be payslips that came afterwards. Because some persons actually have part time or full time job before...stop the day when the completion letter is issued and then apply for PGWP in order to continue working, so can those payslips obtained before used. Which one did you use in yours? Thanks

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
This was our situation. My wife was working and never stopped working even for a day (she applied on the same day she got her completion letter). We submitted her previous 3 payslips, and I think also a contract showing that she will continue to work even after applying for PGWP.

But I think payslips are enough.

afrose399

Sep 16, 2016
My student work permit was expiring on 4th Feb and I applied for a PGWP on 29th Jan and I got a Job as a Media Analyst on 30th Jan. After getting my 3 pay slips I raised a web form stating that I have a job and submitted my job offer letter along with 3 pay stubs. Also, my spouse applied with me simultaneously on 29th Jan. Anyone has been in a similar situation or have any idea what happens in this...I am still on Implied status and waiting for my PGWP.

Sylvestre Stalon

Mar 29, 2023
Hello guys , I need your help! I tried to go through yr comments and questions to see if I can get the similar case but I didn’t ! I want to come to canada from Rwanda,to do so I find a school for my wife and she’s being admitted soon because we submitted all documents needed besides the english test which is done this Friday on 28th April 2023! so that we can apply her visa with my daughter for one year and 8 months ,this morning I learnt there is a chance of coming together if she included me in her application,for your mense experience I would love to know the Chance of occurrence? Second what are the requirements do I have to fulfill !like how much money do I have to present? I can add that my wife has USA VISA for ten years if this information is also relevant ! Thank you

ayushsuhane

Feb 18, 2023
Hi everyone,

My wife (principal applicant) finally received her employment letter and 3 pay slips. Her PGWP application (with spousal OWP) is in processing stage now but I want to upload these new documents too, so I can get a Work Permit as well. I don't how to upload them though, we haven't received a request from IRCC. Any idea how should we do it?
Hi IbrahimS22,

Thanks for sharing your journey. I am also in a similar situation as you. Can you please provide an update on your status? Also wanted to ask if you continued to work after you've applied for PGWP+SOWP without the payslips?

mushfiq78

Aug 22, 2023
Hi,

My spouse who is in Bangladesh wants to apply for an open work permit. I am currently in Canada on an open work permit working in a high-skilled job (TEER 0, 1, 2, or 3). I have some questions regarding documents that need to be submitted.

1) Does my spouse need to show proof of funds? I will submit my employment letter and 3 most recent pay stubs. I read on a thread that proof of funds is not mandatory if the principal applicant is in Canada employed in a high-skilled occupation.

2) Since she will be applying from Bangladesh, her application will be processed by Singapore Visa Office. One of the documents on their checklist is a letter from the employer granting leave of absence. I am a bit confused because if her application gets approved, her work permit will be valid until February 2025 (based on the expiry date of my work permit). Can her employer grant such a long leave of absence? If anyone had to submit a letter like this, how did you go about this?

If you are employed, a signed original letter on company letterhead from the employer
granting leave of absence and including:
 the applicant’s name, position, current salary and date of hire.
 the employer’s name and address as well as the telephone and email.

Thank you for your help.

sharat1987

Aug 13, 2015
Hello members ,

Looking for advice in my case -

I have applied for my wife's PGWP and OWP for me together based on her job which is a Casual category on June 1st, 2023. At the time of the application, she had just started so we did not have any pay slip to submit. After a month, she started another job as a contract full time where she worked for a month. Now she is joining another job on Oct 10th, which is a permanent full-time position. Our study and work permit are already expired and even the 120 days extension also passed (On Sep 29th, 2023). There is no update from IRCC yet. I am not sure if I should update my wife's latest job information, or send the pay slips of the previous jobs.

Do I need to wait for the IRCC to respond or submit a webform to update about jobs and pay slips? Can my OWP application be rejected due to pay slip issue?