+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP - Will enter Canada after 2 years of issuance

peanne78

Oct 11, 2021
I need some clarifications on my situation. I applied for PGWP in March 2020 from my home country but the application was delayed due to the pandemic. I was finally issued a TRV for worker visa category in May 2022 with expiry on May 2025

Due to some personal issues, I could not leave right away but things have cleared up and I can finally leave. I took a 2-year masters program from UOttawa and it is my understanding that I am eligible for a 3-year work permit.

Since it has been 2 years from the issuance of the TRV, when I land in Canada this summer, will I only be given a work permit til my TRV expiry date or will I still be issued a 3-year work permit? I would like to maximize the allowable time for my work permit given my 2-years masters program.

Just to add, my passport does not expire til 2029.

Appreciate your response. Thank you.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I need some clarifications on my situation. I applied for PGWP in March 2020 from my home country but the application was delayed due to the pandemic. I was finally issued a TRV for worker visa category in May 2022 with expiry on May 2025

Due to some personal issues, I could not leave right away but things have cleared up and I can finally leave. I took a 2-year masters program from UOttawa and it is my understanding that I am eligible for a 3-year work permit.

Since it has been 2 years from the issuance of the TRV, when I land in Canada this summer, will I only be given a work permit til my TRV expiry date or will I still be issued a 3-year work permit? I would like to maximize the allowable time for my work permit given my 2-years masters program.

Just to add, my passport does not expire til 2029.

Appreciate your response. Thank you.
Your PGWP was issued in 2022 so you have one year left.

Reactions: Shmiler

peanne78

Oct 11, 2021
Thank you for this. I was told before that the work permit (number of years) will be start from the time I enter Canada. It was my understanding that I may enter until May 2025 but the border officer will still issue my 3-year work permit.

Is there a way to get my 3-year work permit?