+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP vs OWP and Spouse status extension

assbutt

Jul 25, 2018
Hi,

I have arrived in Canada 1 year ago and studied full time in a 12 month MSc program at U of T (8 months classes + 4 months internship).

During the internship I got a full time offer at the same company commencing in September 2019. My study-work permit is valid until the end of November 2019.

During this summer I have also applied for my spouse's open work permit, which was approved and which was also issued until the end of November 2019 (same as my expiration).

Question 1:

Based on this is it better to apply for Open Work Permit or Post-Graduate Work Permit?

Question 2:

Will my application be considered as work permit or work permit extension?

Question 3:

I can attach my spouse to the PGWP or OWP that I submit, but, as much as I know the processing time can take up to ~100-115 days. That goes a bit over my current expiration date. I know that I am eligible to stay and work as long as I have applied for PGWP or OWP, but what about my spouse? I have read that she has to maintain a legal status in order to stay, so that adds a bit of confusion.

Will she have to leave Canada after November even though her application is still in progress?

If yes, what is the best course of action to prevent that? Apply for her visitor visa maybe?

Thank you in advance.

Regards.