+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP vs BOWP

engimam

Star Member
Jan 8, 2018
Hi,

I have a friend whose PGWP is expiring in 4 months. She also has an active Express entry application (AOR July 2020). She has been working in a company in Ottawa for more than 6 months. Which one should she choose to remain in Canada:

1- Extend her PGWP as per the new policy to get 18 months more ? (Her current PGWP has a validity of one year only)

2- Apply for BOWP, which will give her 6 months extension only? ( as per online views)

I am not sure if she is allowed to apply for both actually .. so any suggestions?

Exotic

Star Member
Oct 13, 2020
Hi,

I have a friend whose PGWP is expiring in 4 months. She also has an active Express entry application (AOR July 2020). She has been working in a company in Ottawa for more than 6 months. Which one should she choose to remain in Canada:

1- Extend her PGWP as per the new policy to get 18 months more ? (Her current PGWP has a validity of one year only)

2- Apply for BOWP, which will give her 6 months extension only? ( as per online views)

I am not sure if she is allowed to apply for both actually .. so any suggestions?
New policy for extension on open work permit holders is still not available on the website. IRCC will update the info regarding option 1 on 27 January, kindly wait until then.

Reactions: engimam

Pratik65

Jun 14, 2018
New policy for extension on open work permit holders is still not available on the website. IRCC will update the info regarding option 1 on 27 January, kindly wait until then.
which one should we go for incase we are eligible for BOWP and PGWP extension?

Exotic

Star Member
Oct 13, 2020
which one should we go for incase we are eligible for BOWP and PGWP extension?
To be honest, it depends case by case. If you are on the verge of expiration of work permit I believe getting extension under new policy will be safe. If you have already gathered 1 year experience you can apply for BOWP ( provided you have PR application in process )

monu030

Star Member
Sep 14, 2014
Hi,

I am in the same situation. Could you please share your experience. I would highly appreciate it.

Pratik65

Jun 14, 2018
I am in the same situation. Could you please share your experience. I would highly appreciate it.
I thik you should go for entension of wp and in 18 months I hope you will get your PR confirmation and if not then apply for Bowp