+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP : took 2 semesters Off from school

drsamu

Dec 10, 2020
Hi, I'm applying for a PGWP this December and my case is a little bit unique.
I started my associate degree in September 2017 and I took two semesters off in 2019 ( summer and fall ). The reason is this : My passport expired and it took the consulate of my country 7 months to renew it. On top of that the consulate is in Qc and I live in BC. During that time my study permit expired so I had to stop school and work for 2 semesters. I have the emails that I exchanged with the consulate and the proof that they took all that time to send me the new passport. I submitted these proofs with a letter explaining everything when applying for the restoration of my study permit and the latter was approved.
My question is this : Do you guys think I have a chance to get my pgwp ?
Thank you for your answers I really appreciate it

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I started my associate degree in September 2017 and I took two semesters off in 2019 ( summer and fall ). The reason is this : My passport expired and it took the consulate of my country 7 months to renew it. On top of that the consulate is in Qc and I live in BC. During that time my study permit expired so I had to stop school and work for 2 semesters. I have the emails that I exchanged with the consulate and the proof that they took all that time to send me the new passport. I submitted these proofs with a letter explaining everything when applying for the restoration of my study permit and the latter was approved.
You should be expecting a refusal. However always some possibility you may get extremely lucky and be approved by an officer who overlooks the rules.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
You have a chance if the person reading feels sorry for you but if they follow the regulations then you will be denied.

drsamu

Dec 10, 2020
You should be expecting a refusal. However always some possibility you may get extremely lucky and be approved by an officer who overlooks the rules.
Even if it wasn't my fault? Once the study permit expires you should stop studying and working.
My study permit expired, but to apply for a renewal I had to renew my passport. And the consulate took 7 months to renew mine.
while waiting my study permit expired and I had to stop school for 2 semesters.
Do you think the agent wouldn't care about all of this ? what if I hire a lawyer ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Even if it wasn't my fault? Once the study permit expires you should stop studying and working.
My study permit expired, but to apply for a renewal I had to renew my passport. And the consulate took 7 months to renew mine.
while waiting my study permit expired and I had to stop school for 2 semesters.
Do you think the agent wouldn't care about all of this ? what if I hire a lawyer ?
IRCC will hold you responsible. They see you as being the individual who needs to make sure your passport remains valid and your study permit as well.

Which country are you from and why did the passport renewal take so long?

A lawyer cannot change the rules. The most the lawyer can do is help you to put the application together and write a letter to ask for special consideration. However as said above, you'll be at the mercy of the visa officer processing your application. They may give you a break, or they may follow the rules and deny the application

drsamu

Dec 10, 2020
IRCC will hold you responsible. They see you as being the individual who needs to make sure your passport remains valid and your study permit as well.

Which country are you from and why did the passport renewal take so long?

A lawyer cannot change the rules. The most the lawyer can do is help you to put the application together and write a letter to ask for special consideration. However as said above, you'll be at the mercy of the visa officer processing your application. They may give you a break, or they may follow the rules and deny the application
Hey,
I'm from Morocco and apparently they lost my application or something and kept dragging me for months.
so I spoke to a CIC agent on the phone and they told me that I still have a chance of getting my pgwp because during that period when I was waiting for my passport I was out of status so I was following the rules by not going to school. The agent told me as long as I have proof that I've applied for my passport before it expired and proof that my parents were sending me money since I wasn't working either I should be fine.
Also an immigration lawyer told me that if there was a problem in this situation they wouldn't have restored my status in the first place.
I guess I have to wait and see.

rijol verma

Jul 10, 2020
one of the thing in pgwp states - you have to always be enrolled in a dli and actively pursue education.
probably ask a lawyer if u have a chance.