+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP TOGETHER WITH SOWP 2022

yasar1990

Jun 2, 2022
Dear All,
Alhamdulillah! my wife has graduated from Seneca College in April this year. Now we are applying for her PGWP outside Canada , I have the following queries in this regard:

1. There is an option to apply for the PGWP with SOWP in the same application package. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it wise to apply for SOWP and PGWP together?

2. Is SOWP applied in this manner processed faster? Does a delay in approval of SOWP cause a corresponding delay in PGWP as the applications are combined?

3. Will an upfront medical help expedite the process?

4. My wife's study visa is valid up to October 2022. If we submit her application now and we don't get the approval till October, do we need to apply for extension of study visa?

4. If its not suggested to apply for the SOWP together with the PGWP, at what stage should I apply for the SOWP? I read somewhere that my wife should have at least three months work experience in Canada NOC A or B before we could apply for SOWP but I cant remember now if it was on IRCC website.

5. If my wife has an approved PGWP, do I still need to show proof of fund? How much is the current requirement for proof of fund for SOWP? I have been saving money on my fathers account, how do I prove this to IRCC?

Appreciate all the responses, thank you in advance.

Yasar

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Dear All,
Alhamdulillah! my wife has graduated from Seneca College in April this year. Now we are applying for her PGWP outside Canada , I have the following queries in this regard:

1. There is an option to apply for the PGWP with SOWP in the same application package. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it wise to apply for SOWP and PGWP together?

2. Is SOWP applied in this manner processed faster? Does a delay in approval of SOWP cause a corresponding delay in PGWP as the applications are combined?

3. Will an upfront medical help expedite the process?

4. My wife's study visa is valid up to October 2022. If we submit her application now and we don't get the approval till October, do we need to apply for extension of study visa?

4. If its not suggested to apply for the SOWP together with the PGWP, at what stage should I apply for the SOWP? I read somewhere that my wife should have at least three months work experience in Canada NOC A or B before we could apply for SOWP but I cant remember now if it was on IRCC website.

5. If my wife has an approved PGWP, do I still need to show proof of fund? How much is the current requirement for proof of fund for SOWP? I have been saving money on my fathers account, how do I prove this to IRCC?

Appreciate all the responses, thank you in advance.

Yasar
See the link for SOWP requirements under C41.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/exemption-codes/public-policy-competitiveness-economy.html

1. If she s not n Canada and working in a NOC A, B or 0 job with employment letter and paystubs, you are not eligible for a SOWP. You can try but it would most likely be refused.

2. Visas do not have to processed together. PGWP may be processed first.

3. No.

4. When did your wife graduate because her study permit expires 90 days after getting her letter (not convocation). You can’t extend a study permit outside Canada and she deosn’t need a valid study permit if not in Canada to apply for PGWP.

5. You are eligible for a SOWP when she meets requirements (link)

6. There is no set amount but you need to show that you can afford to settle in Canada. You show both your bank accounts. Since she would be working in Canada, her employment will be considered.

Reactions: yasar1990

yasar1990

Jun 2, 2022
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/exemption-codes/public-policy-competitiveness-economy.html

1. If she s not n Canada and working in a NOC A, B or 0 job with employment letter and paystubs, you are not eligible for a SOWP. You can try but it would most likely be refused.

3. No.

4. When did your wife graduate because her study permit expires 90 days after getting her letter (not convocation). You can’t extend a study permit outside Canada and she deosn’t need a valid study permit if not in Canada to apply for PGWP.

6. There is no set amount but you need to show that you can afford to settle in Canada. You show both your bank accounts. Since she would be working in Canada, her employment will be considered.
Thank you, really appreciate your response. My wife graduated in the last week of April.

Disham16

Aug 28, 2020
1)Hi my wife is in Canada and her study permit expires on September 2022 she is planning to apply for her PGWP.

2)I have applied for sowp based on her study permit on December 2021 and still it’s processing..
her study permit is expiring soon what should I do.. do I have to submit her PGWP application acknowledgment to my application..
Moreover she has completed her studies and she doesn’t have a job in NOC 0, A or B
Please help me n suggest me what can be done ???

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
1)Hi my wife is in Canada and her study permit expires on September 2022 she is planning to apply for her PGWP.

2)I have applied for sowp based on her study permit on December 2021 and still it’s processing..
her study permit is expiring soon what should I do.. do I have to submit her PGWP application acknowledgment to my application..
Moreover she has completed her studies and she doesn’t have a job in NOC 0, A or B
Since she has graduated, her permit expires 90 days after completion. Once she has a NOC A, B or 0 job with 3 payslips and employment letter then you apply for SOWP. You are not eligible for a SOWP until she gets the job as your SOWP under her permit will be refused as he program is completed.

yasar1990

Jun 2, 2022

3. No.

So I have been researching about the different options we have for immigration. I have mentioned the best possible pathways that I could think of, I would love to hear from you other possible ways that I am not aware of, if they exist. I have also mentioned some related queries, would appreciate the response from the community:

1. Pathways for immigration through my wife:
1.1. PGWP ------> 1 year Canada Work Experience ---------> CEC
1.2. PGWP --------> Job Offer (Without LMIA)--------> OINP International Student Stream (PNP) - How often does Ontario hold this stream?
1.3. Express Entry ----------> FSW. - I read somewhere that express entry draw is going to see some major changes in terms of who gets the ITA. For example it is predicted that the draw will be based on On Demand Occupation instead of just CRS score. Is this true?

2. Pathways for immigration through me:

2.1. Express Entry ---------> FSW - My CRS is 425 right now, I don't think I am going to get any ITA for FSW soon but I am expecting NOI from Alberta, AINP, what are my chances? If I gain Canadian experience without LMIA through SOWP will I be able to increase my CRS?

2.2 . SINP - No job offer required. - How often does Saskatchewan hold the PNP draw? I am a Civil Engineer with 10 years of experience, what are my chances for SINP?

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So I have been researching about the different options we have for immigration. I have mentioned the best possible pathways that I could think of, I would love to hear from you other possible ways that I am not aware of, if they exist. I have also mentioned some related queries, would appreciate the response from the community:

1.2. PGWP --------> Job Offer (Without LMIA)--------> OINP International Student Stream (PNP) - How often does Ontario hold this stream?
1.3. Express Entry ----------> FSW. - I read somewhere that express entry draw is going to see some major changes in terms of who gets the ITA. For example it is predicted that the draw will be based on On Demand Occupation instead of just CRS score. Is this true?

2.1. Express Entry ---------> FSW - My CRS is 425 right now, I don't think I am going to get any ITA for FSW soon but I am expecting NOI from Alberta, AINP, what are my chances? If I gain Canadian experience without LMIA through SOWP will I be able to increase my CRS?

2.2 . SINP - No job offer required. - How often does Saskatchewan hold the PNP draw? I am a Civil Engineer with 10 years of experience, what are my chances for SINP?
1. CEC and FSW Depends on her CRS score. How long was her program at Seneca? OINP is competitive so check the OINP website for draws and details.
2. Your CRS score is too low for EE. What is your SINP score? It is based on score drawn with your NOC. You will need to be licensed as an engineer in Saskatchewan first.

yasar1990

Jun 2, 2022
1. CEC and FSW Depends on her CRS score. How long was her program at Seneca? OINP is competitive so check the OINP website for draws and details.
2. Your CRS score is too low for EE. What is your SINP score? It is based on score drawn with your NOC. You will need to be licensed as an engineer in Saskatchewan first.
Thank you for your response. My SINP score comes out to be 67. I understand the licensing requirement and have initiated the procedure. Meanwhile keeping our fingers crossed for her PGWP.

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021

PNP through her employment is a viable option as compared to your SOWP and CEC simply because SOWP is tied to her Study permit validity and once she moves to PGWP, she will need a qualifying job to support your SOWP

Best of Luck

majidhk

Sep 21, 2022
Hi All,
I have a complicated situation and I will appreciate it if anyone can help.

My wife's study permit and my open work permit will expire on Sep 30, 2022. As we didn't know if my wife will be graduating or not, we both applied for an extension in August 2022. We are still awaiting that. Besides, I got a temporary automatic letter that I can continue working till October 11, 2022.

My wife did her thesis defence on September 12 and she is graduated now. She didn't work before and now I have a few questions:

1. When she is going to apply for PGWP, should I apply at the same time as her?
2. Will my SOWP will change to a visitor visa (I heard that from some people)? If it does, what is the solution?
3. Should we wait for the extension and then do the rest?

Despite having a year and a half of experience in Canada (three different jobs), I don't have any express entry fortune or PNP opportunity yet.

Dipak2636

Feb 26, 2023

Does student still require NOC 0,A or B job as of now 26 FEB 2023 in order to apply for work permit for spouse with PGWP or rules are changed?