+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP & SOWP

Bear60

Jul 31, 2020
Hi all,

My partner and myself are in the next situation. I just graduated from my program and I already got letter of completion and transcripts (only the original copy that they sent to my email) and I almost ready to apply for PGWP (my student permit expires on July 30th). My partner is on a open work permit that expires on July 30th too and we are going back to Canada after 2 week trip to our home country (Spain). Here I have the next scenarios to apply as my partner has a really good job that she doesn't want to lose:

1. Apply at Port of entry (YCC airport) to only my PGWP -> The problem with that is that I think I have all the documents, but the transcripts are not the ones sealed, I only have a copy of the original printed. But I got new passport, letter of completion, copy of transcripts and valid student permit.

2. Apply online together to PGWP and SOWP - I already worked during my practicum (work term) in a NOC B job and have valid paystubs (maybe these ones don't count as I was in a co-op work permit?) but I won't have the PGWP permit, I don't if this can be a problem.

3. Apply online myself to only PGWP - I can apply one day after my arrival and then wait to see if they issue my PGWP and then apply to SOWP for my common law partner, if they get closer to July 30th (expire date of my partner's sowp) I can maybe apply anyways without the official PGWP, but with the rest of the documents and then later submit it with a webform?

What do you guys think will be our best bet? I don't want my partner to lose her job, so please if someone could give my a valid feedback that would be much appreciated!

Thanks a lot!

Tayandibu

Star Member
Oct 10, 2019
I will be in this situation soon too and look forward to recommendations from experts on this platform.

Kingaos

Oct 29, 2019
In order to apply at the border you need to have sealed transcripts. I would suggest applying for both work permits online as you have all the documentation and you both will be able to work while awaiting approval if you are currently still employed in your noc b job.

Bear60

Jul 31, 2020
Thanks for your response @Kingaos . I just applied online myself (the student, to PGWP) and waiting to get 3 payslips as "worker" because my ones are as student and I wasn't sure if they would be solid. I still keep my NOC B job, so once I get those I'll apply to my spouse SOWP. The only thing that I need is my PGWP, but I'll apply with my application confirmation letter and then later I'll submit a webform with my PGWP to my spouse application. How that sounds?

Reactions: Miracle2018

Kingaos

Oct 29, 2019
You should have applied together. By the time ircc gets around to your application they will request the pay slips which will buy you time to get them

Bear60

Jul 31, 2020
I know.. I was so close to do both applications together, but as there are too much misinformation around, I was scared honestly :(. Im also thinking about to flagpole for my permit, do you think that being in maintened status (old implied status) would cause me any trouble if I try? My study permit is valid till July 30th.
Thanks again @Kingaos

Tayandibu

Star Member
Oct 10, 2019
@Bear60, just a suggestion outside your inquiries. Since your spouse has a good job, have you thought of your spouse applying for one of the provincial nominee programs for PR. I know that Ontario has one for foreign workers stream but I am not sure which province you are.

Bear60

Jul 31, 2020
@Bear60, just a suggestion outside your inquiries. Since your spouse has a good job, have you thought of your spouse applying for one of the provincial nominee programs for PR. I know that Ontario has one for foreign workers stream but I am not sure which province you are.
To be honest I focus in myself (student) and I haven’t thought in this possibility and makes total sense. She is also working in a NOC B job, we are located in Alberta though. I need to see if she could apply for a nominee program and also apply for sowp, since her visa is valid till July 30th, and she would like to continue working...Any idea?

Kingaos

Oct 29, 2019
I know.. I was so close to do both applications together, but as there are too much misinformation around, I was scared honestly :(. Im also thinking about to flagpole for my permit, do you think that being in maintened status (old implied status) would cause me any trouble if I try? My study permit is valid till July 30th.
Thanks again @Kingaos

i understand. there is alot of misinformation but some times we have to follow our gut and go with what we think is right. Flag poling is good too

tinahumber

Jun 8, 2022
Hi there,I am also in the same situation. Can the spouse of the pgwp applicant continue working if their current work permit expires but their application is submitted? I am the pgwp applicant ( Iwill apply today). Both our current permits expire at the end of August and worried that we will not receive our new permits before then. I understand that the pgwp applicant can work 40 hours but what about the spouse after their permit expires?

Urgent help please

Bear60

Jul 31, 2020
If both applicants has submitted their application, therefore you both are in maintained status. Meaning you keep the same conditions as your previous permit, until a decision is made in your application. Cheers

alfalfaasleep

Aug 24, 2022
That's all; it's only a recommendation apart from your questions. Given your spouse's solid work, have you considered applying for one of the provincial nominee schemes for PR? I know Ontario has a stream for international employees, but I'm not sure which province you're in.

happy wheels

Pingers

Dec 21, 2021
Hi all,

My partner and myself are in the next situation. I just graduated from my program and I already got letter of completion and transcripts (only the original copy that they sent to my email) and I almost ready to apply for PGWP (my student permit expires on July 30th). My partner is on a open work permit that expires on July 30th too and we are going back to Canada after 2 week trip to our home country (Spain). Here I have the next scenarios to apply as my partner has a really good job that she doesn't want to lose:

1. Apply at Port of entry (YCC airport) to only my PGWP -> The problem with that is that I think I have all the documents, but the transcripts are not the ones sealed, I only have a copy of the original printed. But I got new passport, letter of completion, copy of transcripts and valid student permit.

2. Apply online together to PGWP and SOWP - I already worked during my practicum (work term) in a NOC B job and have valid paystubs (maybe these ones don't count as I was in a co-op work permit?) but I won't have the PGWP permit, I don't if this can be a problem.

3. Apply online myself to only PGWP - I can apply one day after my arrival and then wait to see if they issue my PGWP and then apply to SOWP for my common law partner, if they get closer to July 30th (expire date of my partner's sowp) I can maybe apply anyways without the official PGWP, but with the rest of the documents and then later submit it with a webform?

What do you guys think will be our best bet? I don't want my partner to lose her job, so please if someone could give my a valid feedback that would be much appreciated!

Thanks a lot!
DId you get your SOWP approved? My partners PGWP was approved a few months back, i'm still waiting (applied March 22nd 2022)