+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP & SOWP

mad_max666

Jan 15, 2019
I am desperate for an advice. The situation is like this, I am a former International Student, that awaits the Completion letter to apply for the PGWP. Currently I am working part-time in NOC A, and my spouse is working full-time in NOC B. However, I do not have 3 payslips, and I should receive my documents by the end of this week, so the questions are:

1. Will my part-time cause SOWP rejection?

2. Will the lack of 3 payslips affect the SOWP, can I upload them later since the processing time is 70+ days?

3. How many days do I have to apply for the PGWP after I get the Completion letter? They usually send it to university emails, so what if I miss mine for couple of days, is that OK?

4. Once I get the Completion letter I need to stop working. Since I have signed a contract, do I need do to something to prove that I was not working until I applied for the PGWP? If I miss the email of the Completion letter and work those few days, am I in violation?

5. I am waiting for the Employment letter, so is a Contract a good substitution?

6. If SOWP is denied, what are the options for my spouse?
Her OWP at the moment is valid until April 5th 2019, and what ever we do, the processing time is going to pass the date of the OWP.

7. Any other ideas?

Thank you!

Reactions: Miracle2018

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am desperate for an advice. The situation is like this, I am a former International Student, that awaits the Completion letter to apply for the PGWP. Currently I am working part-time in NOC A, and my spouse is working full-time in NOC B. However, I do not have 3 payslips, and I should receive my documents by the end of this week, so the questions are:

1. Will my part-time cause SOWP rejection?

2. Will the lack of 3 payslips affect the SOWP, can I upload them later since the processing time is 70+ days?

3. How many days do I have to apply for the PGWP after I get the Completion letter? They usually send it to university emails, so what if I miss mine for couple of days, is that OK?

4. Once I get the Completion letter I need to stop working. Since I have signed a contract, do I need do to something to prove that I was not working until I applied for the PGWP? If I miss the email of the Completion letter and work those few days, am I in violation?

5. I am waiting for the Employment letter, so is a Contract a good substitution?

6. If SOWP is denied, what are the options for my spouse?
Her OWP at the moment is valid until April 5th 2019, and what ever we do, the processing time is going to pass the date of the OWP.

7. Any other ideas?

Thank you!
1. No.

2. Yes. You can try applying with less than 3, some people have done it and been approved, but don't be surprised if it is refused.

3. The date that matters is when YOU get it.

4. Apply the day you get it and you don't need to stop working. Yes, if you fail to see that you have been sent the completion letter and continue working, you will be working illegally.

5. Yes.

6. Apply to change her status to visitor before her current work permit expires.

mad_max666

Jan 15, 2019
1. No.

2. Yes. You can try applying with less than 3, some people have done it and been approved, but don't be surprised if it is refused.

3. The date that matters is when YOU get it.

4. Apply the day you get it and you don't need to stop working. Yes, if you fail to see that you have been sent the completion letter and continue working, you will be working illegally.

5. Yes.

6. Apply to change her status to visitor before her current work permit expires.
Thank you for your reply. Few more things:

1. Since I have to apply without the payslips, once I get them, and if the application was not processed, can I upload them on my own to the application?

2. I received the letter in the mean time, but there were some issues with the letter from the University, and they needed to resend it to, so since I still wait for their answer is that still a violation on my side?

3. Also, since I am part-time, do days where I am not on my workplace count as "working" or not in my case? I am having trouble understanding this part, since the letter was received on the day I was working, but because it was needed to be resent, other days I am not working, violation or not?

4. What if the SOWP decision will not come before her current OWP expires? Let's say that we receive the SOWP rejection on April 15th (10 days passed her current OWP). Does she need to leave the country? Or can we apply for the visitor change the same day we get an SOWP rejection?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you for your reply. Few more things:

1. Since I have to apply without the payslips, once I get them, and if the application was not processed, can I upload them on my own to the application?

2. I received the letter in the mean time, but there were some issues with the letter from the University, and they needed to resend it to, so since I still wait for their answer is that still a violation on my side?

3. Also, since I am part-time, do days where I am not on my workplace count as "working" or not in my case? I am having trouble understanding this part, since the letter was received on the day I was working, but because it was needed to be resent, other days I am not working, violation or not?

4. What if the SOWP decision will not come before her current OWP expires? Let's say that we receive the SOWP rejection on April 15th (10 days passed her current OWP). Does she need to leave the country? Or can we apply for the visitor change the same day we get an SOWP rejection?
1. You can try.

2. Not sure what you mean. If you have the letter, then yes, you are working illegally. If the letter is not valid, then you are fine.

3. If you aren't working, you can't be working illegally...

4. Apply for a visitor extension BEFORE her OWP expires. She can withdraw it if the OWP is approved.

johnwill

Mar 9, 2019
Advise please regarding PGWP

I am an international student enrolled for September 2017 for a 2 years masters program with thesis. Completing by may 2019 and study permit expiring in November 2019 with graduation in November 2019

Would like to know when I should apply for PGWP ?

Since I will be done by May, my thesis can be extended to August/September, which will also allow me to get 3 years PGWP

Will I still be eligible for 3 years PGWP for doing this program until May

I am confused and seek help. Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Advise please regarding PGWP

I am an international student enrolled for September 2017 for a 2 years masters program with thesis. Completing by may 2019 and study permit expiring in November 2019 with graduation in November 2019

Would like to know when I should apply for PGWP ?

Since I will be done by May, my thesis can be extended to August/September, which will also allow me to get 3 years PGWP

Will I still be eligible for 3 years PGWP for doing this program until May

I am confused and seek help. Thanks
If it is a 2 year program, it will be a 3 year PGWP. If you are finishing by May, there is nothing to extend. Apply for your PGWP when you get confirmation of completion.

Neal23

Mar 9, 2019
If it is a 2 year program, it will be a 3 year PGWP. If you are finishing by May, there is nothing to extend. Apply for your PGWP when you get confirmation of completion.
I am quoting you since I see that you are well informed and I have a similar situation to the person who started the topic.

So, I am waiting for my PGWP, and I my spouse's OWP is ending this month, so we need to apply her for a Visitor record. We hold passports that do not require Visitor Visa, if that makes any difference. Her Visitor record will be aligned to my PGWP, for example, if I receive 3 years of PGWP her Visitor record will also be 3 years, is that right?

1. What application do we use for my spouse?
  2. Since My PGWP is still in process, should we write a explanation letter in which we explain that my PGWP is in process or something else?
  3. Also, since the time for PGWP is long (80+ days today), will me not having a processed PGWP in any way complicate her Visitor Record approval?
  4. Or should I (if I can) update my application for a PGWP and include her?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am quoting you since I see that you are well informed and I have a similar situation to the person who started the topic.

So, I am waiting for my PGWP, and I my spouse's OWP is ending this month, so we need to apply her for a Visitor record. We hold passports that do not require Visitor Visa, if that makes any difference. Her Visitor record will be aligned to my PGWP, for example, if I receive 3 years of PGWP her Visitor record will also be 3 years, is that right?

1. What application do we use for my spouse?
  2. Since My PGWP is still in process, should we write a explanation letter in which we explain that my PGWP is in process or something else?
  3. Also, since the time for PGWP is long (80+ days today), will me not having a processed PGWP in any way complicate her Visitor Record approval?
  4. Or should I (if I can) update my application for a PGWP and include her?
Her visitor app will be processed separately, so it will not be matched to your PGWP.

1. Visitor extension.

2. She can state in the app that she is extending because you are waiting for a PGWP.

3. As I said, processed separately.

4. You can't.

Neal23

Mar 9, 2019
Her visitor app will be processed separately, so it will not be matched to your PGWP.

1. Visitor extension.

2. She can state in the app that she is extending because you are waiting for a PGWP.

3. As I said, processed separately.

4. You can't.

Thanks for the response, few more questions please.

1. Visitor extension is max 6 months? Or what is the maximum?
  2. Is there a maximum times to apply continuously for an Extension?
  3. Because it is not matched to my PGWP now, can it be matched after I receive a PGWP? To reapply?
  4. Or did we "mess up" for not applying together (mine PGWP and her Visitor extension)?
At my university I have been told that it can be matched, and that when I receive PGWP her Visitor record can be matched easily. But, I still thought about receiving another view on the matter.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for the response, few more questions please.

1. Visitor extension is max 6 months? Or what is the maximum?
  2. Is there a maximum times to apply continuously for an Extension?
  3. Because it is not matched to my PGWP now, can it be matched after I receive a PGWP? To reapply?
  4. Or did we "mess up" for not applying together (mine PGWP and her Visitor extension)?
At my university I have been told that it can be matched, and that when I receive PGWP her Visitor record can be matched easily. But, I still thought about receiving another view on the matter.
1. There is no max. They will give her however long they decide.

2. No. However, a person applying for multiple extensions would eventually be refused.

3. You can request that.

4. You couldn't apply for it together.

Neal23

Mar 9, 2019

2. No. However, a person applying for multiple extensions would eventually be refused.

3. You can request that.

Thanks a lot.
We were worried a bit that after 6 months she will have to leave the country and then come back after a while or reapply for the Visitor status again.

azcuna

Star Member
Dec 3, 2018

3. You can request that.

Hi Canuck,

I just would like to ask if I can already apply for my wife's spouse open work permit while waiting for my PGWP approval? I currently have NOC A job and 3 payslips now.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi Canuck,

I just would like to ask if I can already apply for my wife's spouse open work permit while waiting for my PGWP approval? I currently have NOC A job and 3 payslips now.
Yes. Include a letter of explanation with her app details.

azcuna

Star Member
Dec 3, 2018
Yes. Include a letter of explanation with her app details.
Really??? this is really a good news!. I thought I really have to wait for the approval of my PGWP. So I can just say as an explanation like "I'm still waiting for the approval of my PGWP and she needs to be here already etc."?