+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP Refused

mak93

Jul 14, 2020
Good Afternoon,
I applied for my PGWP online on 9th July 2020 after receiving 'completion letter', 'full-time attestation letter' and 'unofficial transcripts' from DLI University and got a refusal letter on 13th stating below
"This letter refers to your application for a Work Permit. Based on your application and accompanying documentation that you have provided, I have carefully considered all information and I am not satisfied that you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations. Your application as requested is therefore refused.
Foreign students in Canada are eligible for a work permit for post-graduation employment only if they have continuously studied full time in Canada and have completed a program of study that is at least eight months in duration at a:
 University, community college, CEGEP,
 publicly funded trade/technical school or
 private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees
As you do not meet this requirement, it has been determined that you are not eligible for a work permit in this category."

I am confused and don't understand how could the IRCC officer reject my application on these basis as I fulfill all the conditions. Please advise on how should I re-apply with letter of explanation or should I hire someone to make my application?
I was admitted in Winter 2019, did Summer 2019, then Fall 2019, then Winter 2020 and finished off my Masters degree in Summer 2020 (summer 1). My case is clean as my study permit is valid until 31st March 2021. Please guide me what to do next!!!

aNDyaSs

Star Member
Nov 27, 2019
Did
Good Afternoon,
I applied for my PGWP online on 9th July 2020 after receiving 'completion letter', 'full-time attestation letter' and 'unofficial transcripts' from DLI University and got a refusal letter on 13th stating below
"This letter refers to your application for a Work Permit. Based on your application and accompanying documentation that you have provided, I have carefully considered all information and I am not satisfied that you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations. Your application as requested is therefore refused.
Foreign students in Canada are eligible for a work permit for post-graduation employment only if they have continuously studied full time in Canada and have completed a program of study that is at least eight months in duration at a:
 University, community college, CEGEP,
 publicly funded trade/technical school or
 private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees
As you do not meet this requirement, it has been determined that you are not eligible for a work permit in this category."

I am confused and don't understand how could the IRCC officer reject my application on these basis as I fulfill all the conditions. Please advise on how should I re-apply with letter of explanation or should I hire someone to make my application?
I was admitted in Winter 2019, did Summer 2019, then Fall 2019, then Winter 2020 and finished off my Masters degree in Summer 2020 (summer 1). My case is clean as my study permit is valid until 31st March 2021. Please guide me what to do next!!!
Did you check if your institution is on the list?

Elias_Andvari

Star Member
May 19, 2018
Is it possible that they might want an official transcript? I know in my institution the international student services office explicitly says IRCC won't accept transcripts with a 'Copy' watermark on it

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
You can either make a webform enquiry asking for reconsideration on the basis of a clear error on IRCC's part (the still 'new' Edmonton office makes a lot of mistakes) or you could apply again, including a letter of explanation vis a vis your prior refusal, which you could pretty much copy and paste from this posting, whichever strategy you choose.

mak93

Jul 14, 2020
You can either make a webform enquiry asking for reconsideration on the basis of a clear error on IRCC's part (the still 'new' Edmonton office makes a lot of mistakes) or you could apply again, including a letter of explanation vis a vis your prior refusal, which you could pretty much copy and paste from this posting, whichever strategy you choose.
Thanks for the reply bro. I got a supporting letter from University and submitted IRCC webform with additional supporting documents and LOE on 18th July. Didn't get a confirmation email yet. Hoping for their reconsideration reply this week. I really hope that they don't cross 90days so that I'm out of valid status in Canada and complicate my case. I will send another reconsideration if I don't get any reply in the next 10 days. Worst case I'll re apply again if I don't get any response 10 days even after the second reconsideration. Would you recommend any other suggestion or a better action plan like hiring a consultant or lawyer would be wise? Also I'm in Canada and trying to call IRCC phone number but no luck contacting them last week. I try to call tomorrow early morning and navigate through the number. Do you know any other way to contact them instead of webform? I would really appreciate your time and response.

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
I think you've done everything you can, assuming that your submission letter was as complete as your postings suggest. I find that getting an MP's office is useful under these circumstances, particularly when dealing with the obtuse staff in Edmonton. MPs have a dedicated phone line to IRCC and IRCC staff must respond - a luxury that none of the rest of us has access to.

Oct 17, 2021
Thanks for the reply bro. I got a supporting letter from University and submitted IRCC webform with additional supporting documents and LOE on 18th July. Didn't get a confirmation email yet. Hoping for their reconsideration reply this week. I really hope that they don't cross 90days so that I'm out of valid status in Canada and complicate my case. I will send another reconsideration if I don't get any reply in the next 10 days. Worst case I'll re apply again if I don't get any response 10 days even after the second reconsideration. Would you recommend any other suggestion or a better action plan like hiring a consultant or lawyer would be wise? Also I'm in Canada and trying to call IRCC phone number but no luck contacting them last week. I try to call tomorrow early morning and navigate through the number. Do you know any other way to contact them instead of webform? I would really appreciate your time and response.
hello, any news?