+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP Refused because one semester was Part-Time. What should I do? HELP!

Ak07

Nov 24, 2022
Hi Everyone,

I started my 2-year Diploma at NAIT in 2019 and I completed my study in May 2022.

During my study, in the Winter of 2021. I failed a pre-requisite course in which I enrolled again in Fall 2021 and Completed my 4th Semester after that in Winter 2022.
I was dumb not to study the rules needed to get PGWP that "the only semester I can take part-time is last semester".
But I have kept my studies continuous with no gap and didn't work during my part-time semester in Fall 2021. But since in the fall 2021 semester, I was taking just one-course worth 4.5 credits which was required to take the Winter 2022 semester. My visa was rejected. After reading a lot of cases in this form, I have a little hope that I have followed almost all the rules like not working part-time and having no gap so I am considering trying for a reconsideration letter since my Visa just got rejected on 20th November. I emailed my college that the reason I took that only course in Fall 2021 is that I already met all the credit requirements to complete my diploma and also my financial condition was not so strong since I was jobless and I didn't think of taking more expensive optional courses because of that. I want them to send me something that can help me with my reconsideration letter but seems like they don't want to help me with that and what to earn more money by offering me to study again.

Finally, I am here to get advice from my fellows who have similar experiences and what they did or what they want to advise me to do if you were in the same case as me.
Should I talk to an immigration consultant?
Should I call IRCC?
How should I write a reconsideration letter? Can you send me an example of the letter if you have a similar case to mine? How should I explain to IRCC "the pre-requisite course that needed to be completed before I get enrolled in my last semester"?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Everyone,

I started my 2-year Diploma at NAIT in 2019 and I completed my study in May 2022.

During my study, in the Winter of 2021. I failed a pre-requisite course in which I enrolled again in Fall 2021 and Completed my 4th Semester after that in Winter 2022.
I was dumb not to study the rules needed to get PGWP that "the only semester I can take part-time is last semester".
But I have kept my studies continuous with no gap and didn't work during my part-time semester in Fall 2021. But since in the fall 2021 semester, I was taking just one-course worth 4.5 credits which was required to take the Winter 2022 semester. My visa was rejected. After reading a lot of cases in this form, I have a little hope that I have followed almost all the rules like not working part-time and having no gap so I am considering trying for a reconsideration letter since my Visa just got rejected on 20th November. I emailed my college that the reason I took that only course in Fall 2021 is that I already met all the credit requirements to complete my diploma and also my financial condition was not so strong since I was jobless and I didn't think of taking more expensive optional courses because of that. I want them to send me something that can help me with my reconsideration letter but seems like they don't want to help me with that and what to earn more money by offering me to study again.

Finally, I am here to get advice from my fellows who have similar experiences and what they did or what they want to advise me to do if you were in the same case as me.
Should I talk to an immigration consultant?
Should I call IRCC?
How should I write a reconsideration letter? Can you send me an example of the letter if you have a similar case to mine? How should I explain to IRCC "the pre-requisite course that needed to be completed before I get enrolled in my last semester"?
There are many existing threads on this topic. Suggest you look for those and read through the information and experiences there. Here's one to get you started.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pgwp-refusal-what-to-do-next.719970/page-10#post-10281655

Ak07

Nov 24, 2022
There are many existing threads on this topic. Suggest you look for those and read through the information and experiences there. Here's one to get you started.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pgwp-refusal-what-to-do-next.719970/page-10#post-10281655
I saw this form. They are about reconsideration letters but no one detailed what they wrote. that's why I opened a separate case for more detailed specific case-related advice.

timhortonsspender

Star Member
Nov 24, 2022
I saw this form. They are about reconsideration letters but no one detailed what they wrote. that's why I opened a separate case for more detailed specific case-related advice.
Consult a lawyer. They might have dealt with these cases before and can advice you better. Worst case you lose $200 for consultation fee's. Andrew Koltun and a few others have been pushing IRCC to be easy on students who needed to switch to part time studies due to health reasons.

Ak07

Nov 24, 2022
Consult a lawyer. They might have dealt with these cases before and can advice you better. Worst case you lose $200 for consultation fee's. Andrew Koltun and a few others have been pushing IRCC to be easy on students who needed to switch to part time studies due to health reasons.
Thanks. What do you think about how much lawyers or consultants will charge me for my case? Any estimates?