+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP Refused - Any feedback would be highly appreciated

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
that is to the question raiser.. we are able to learn new aspects. as we see different opinions here regarding Residency statutes on the basis of TRV or Study permit, can any one refer a policy link in support of their opinions?

that may help hundreds in future..

this is so nice of you all to spend time and sharing ideas in this thread.. thanks a lot..
When you apply for a study permit, and approved, you will also get a TRV with the same expiry date. Having different dates on your trv and study permit means something is wrong on your part, either you have not renewed your study permit correctly or you forgot to apply for a TRV with your study permit, or that you entered on a tourist TRV instead of a study TRV.

In any case, both your trv and study permit has to be valid on the day you applied for pgwp

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
When you apply for a study permit, and approved, you will also get a TRV with the same expiry date. Having different dates on your trv and study permit means something is wrong on your part, either you have not renewed your study permit correctly or you forgot to apply for a TRV with your study permit, or that you entered on a tourist TRV instead of a study TRV.

In any case, both your trv and study permit has to be valid on the day you applied for pgwp
TRV DOES NOT NEED TO BE VALID TO APPLY FOR ANYTHING EVER.

TRV only needs to be valid to travel to/Enter Canada that is it. It is quite normal to have different dates on TRV and permit.

Goodygoody

Star Member
May 15, 2019
When I applied for my PGWP in June 2017 I only had a valid study permit and my TRV expired Dec 2016 with my original study permit. I only extended my study permit because I was not going to leave the country so there was no use for a TRV. I only recently applied for a new TRV in February 2018 because I was going to leave the country and this new TRV expires the same time as my PGWP. So no, you don’t need a valid TRV if you are not entering or leaving the country. Nowhere in this link does it say you need a valid TRV to work after you graduate. It says you need a valid study permit when you’re submitting your application

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/after-you-apply.html

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

This is completely wrong. TRV expiry dates are often different than study permit expiry dates. Having different dates does NOT mean something is wrong. A TRV has NOTHING to do with status in Canada and is not required to apply for a PGWP.

AskBD

Star Member
May 27, 2019
When I applied for my PGWP in June 2017 I only had a valid study permit and my TRV expired Dec 2016 with my original study permit. I only extended my study permit because I was not going to leave the country so there was no use for a TRV. I only recently applied for a new TRV in February 2018 because I was going to leave the country and this new TRV expires the same time as my PGWP. So no, you don’t need a valid TRV if you are not entering or leaving the country. Nowhere in this link does it say you need a valid TRV to work after you graduate. It says you need a valid study permit when you’re submitting your application

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/after-you-apply.html

Your opinion make sense. I've noted this from ur link:

If you’re in Canada and want to travel outside of Canada, you must have a valid TRV or eTA. If you don’t have a valid TRV or eTA when you return to Canada, you may not be let back into the country (even if you have a valid PGWP).

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Your opinion make sense. I've noted this from ur link:

If you’re in Canada and want to travel outside of Canada, you must have a valid TRV or eTA. If you don’t have a valid TRV or eTA when you return to Canada, you may not be let back into the country (even if you have a valid PGWP).
It isn't about being let back into the country. Without a valid eTA or TRV, you won't even be allowed to board the plane to travel to Canada.

Reactions: bongoman

AskBD

Star Member
May 27, 2019
Hey Guys,

My PGWP was refused - Seems like technical error. What do you suggest my next step should be ? Below is the complete Timeline

Study Permit Expiry Oct 1st 2019
Applied For PGWP August 25 2019
Received Refusal On November 24 2019
Reason For Refusal:

Immigration legislation requires that foreign nationals wishing to remain longer in Canada
submit an application for extension of their temporary resident status on or before the expiry of
the authorized period. Your temporary resident status in Canada expired on August 15 2019
and your application was made on August 25 2019
** Above mentioned expiring date is not what stated on my study permit **

November 25 Called IRCC: Spoke with agent, He said system have different expiry for my study permit. I mentioned thats not what stated on my study permit. He looked further - was able to find some file in archive matching the same date as my study permit. He recommend me to sent Web form request with copy of my permit and request for reconsideration.
November 25: Sent webform request with study permit copy.
Called IRCC twice after that - No updates yet but they did received my document and attached it to file.

Things worth mentioning.
My TRV and Co op workpermit expired on August 15 2019 but study permit was still valid.

Few questions:
-1 Anyone had similar problem ?
-2 Had anyone applied for reconsideration ? How does timeline looks like ?
-3 Currently I don't have any status - is it problem if i stay here until i hear back from IRCC ?

If you read so far, Thank you very much
Hi, may we know your current update plz.. have u been able to manage the officers on the difference between the date of yoyr study permit and TRV?

gitolo7826

Dec 12, 2019
Hi, may we know your current update plz.. have u been able to manage the officers on the difference between the date of yoyr study permit and TRV?
Still waiting for response on my reconsideration request. It already passed the 30 days timeline so I called up IRCC - they are following up with Case Processing Centre Edmonton but still no answer.

Last edited:

AskBD

Star Member
May 27, 2019
Still waiting for response on my reconsideration request. It already passed the 30 days timeline so I called up IRCC - they are following up with Case Processing Centre Edmonton but still no answer.
Good luck.. please share the outcome when you get it.

gitolo7826

Dec 12, 2019
** Update **

January 3: Received request to pay $100 open work-permit holder fees as my initial payment was refunded after refusal.
January 3: Payment done
January 3: Later in the evening status got updated. Approved.
January 4: Auto-generated in-canada approval letter received.

Thank you all of you, You guys been tremendous help.

Lesson Learned:
  • You need valid Study permit/Valid Staus* in order to be eligible for PGWP if applying within Canada (My case IRCC had error in dates)
  • Its not required to have valid TRV for PGWP.
  • From personal experience, If you have different validity date for co-op work permit and/or Study permit and/or TRV. It wouldn't hurt to give IRCC a call and ask them if they have same dates in the system as well.
  • Reconsideration is possible as long as you can prove that their was error/mistake occurred. It can take upto 30 days. my case it went to 35 days but it was Holiday season - Quite understandable. ( On day 32 I call IRCC, they follow up with CPCE and real soon I got response) so if you passed 30 days - Call IRCC to follow with CPCE.

I hope this help someone down the line as I didn't find many sources with accurate information. THANK YOU once again to every participate of this thread. You guys are awesome.

Valid Staus: Valid study permit or valid work permit or valid visitor status.

Last edited:

Bwoah

Jan 12, 2020
Thanks a lot for sharing the update and learning.. haoot that you got the PGWP
Thanks a lot for sharing. I have applied for a reconsideration as I missed to upload university transcripts. After refusal I called CIC and uploaded the same through a web form. Now I have received an email stating "have reviewed my request a for reconsideration and forwarded it to the concerned visa office." Now just waiting patiently for the response.

Reactions: Flyfa

Bwoah

Jan 12, 2020
Thanks a lot for sharing. I have applied for a reconsideration as I missed to upload university transcripts. After refusal I called CIC and uploaded the same through a web form. Now I have received an email stating "have reviewed my request a for reconsideration and forwarded it to the concerned visa office." Now just waiting patiently for the response.
Just wanted to share an update.
So I had requested a reconsideration for my pgwp application after it was refused.
6January- pgwp as missed uploading transcripts.
7january- requested reconsideration through online web form and uploaded my unofficial transcript (which I had downloaded earlier).
8january- submitted another web form. This time with my official transcript.
16january- they sent me a letter asking me to repay the open work permit fee. As initial one was refunded, after refusal.
2feb- received message about eligibility review on CIC account
3feb- work permit issued.

If this helps anyone, reconsideration is possible. However, understand that each case is unique and the response varies accordingly. But in case you understand that you've missed uploading a document and did not receive any intimation to upload missing documents, you can still opt for a reconsideration. In most cases while pgwp is refused applicants also become out of status. As the processing time is nearly 90-100 days. Based on my situation I can advise that call CIC first. Check for the details missing. And then try to rectify that.

I found a lot of support through this forum.
Good luck

Reactions: interstu98

Aria020711

Star Member
Jan 16, 2020
** Update **

January 3: Received request to pay $100 open work-permit holder fees as my initial payment was refunded after refusal.
January 3: Payment done
January 3: Later in the evening status got updated. Approved.
January 4: Auto-generated in-canada approval letter received.

Thank you all of you, You guys been tremendous help.

Lesson Learned:
  • You need valid Study permit/Valid Staus* in order to be eligible for PGWP if applying within Canada (My case IRCC had error in dates)
  • Its not required to have valid TRV for PGWP.
  • From personal experience, If you have different validity date for co-op work permit and/or Study permit and/or TRV. It wouldn't hurt to give IRCC a call and ask them if they have same dates in the system as well.
  • Reconsideration is possible as long as you can prove that their was error/mistake occurred. It can take upto 30 days. my case it went to 35 days but it was Holiday season - Quite understandable. ( On day 32 I call IRCC, they follow up with CPCE and real soon I got response) so if you passed 30 days - Call IRCC to follow with CPCE.

I hope this help someone down the line as I didn't find many sources with accurate information. THANK YOU once again to every participate of this thread. You guys are awesome.

Valid Staus: Valid study permit or valid work permit or valid visitor status.
Hi, Gitolo,
I am in the same situation. I sent the request for reconsideration on 09 Jan. It has no updates until now. It has been 40+ days so I called the CIC, but the agent said there is no timeline for reconsideration, and they cannot follow up with CPCE. What can I do now? I am really upset.

afiyahusnain

Feb 18, 2023
Hey Guys,

My PGWP was refused - Seems like technical error. What do you suggest my next step should be ? Below is the complete Timeline

Study Permit Expiry Oct 1st 2019
Applied For PGWP August 25 2019
Received Refusal On November 24 2019
Reason For Refusal:

Immigration legislation requires that foreign nationals wishing to remain longer in Canada
submit an application for extension of their temporary resident status on or before the expiry of
the authorized period. Your temporary resident status in Canada expired on August 15 2019
and your application was made on August 25 2019
** Above mentioned expiring date is not what stated on my study permit **

November 25
Called IRCC: Spoke with agent, He said system have different expiry for my study permit. I mentioned thats not what stated on my study permit. He looked further - was able to find some file in archive matching the same date as my study permit. He recommend me to sent Web form request with copy of my permit and request for reconsideration.
November 25: Sent webform request with study permit copy.
Called IRCC twice after that - No updates yet but they did received my document and attached it to file.

Things worth mentioning.
My TRV and Co op workpermit expired on August 15 2019 but study permit was still valid.

Few questions:
-1 Anyone had similar problem ?
-2 Had anyone applied for reconsideration ? How does timeline looks like ?
-3 Currently I don't have any status - is it problem if i stay here until i hear back from IRCC ?

If you read so far, Thank you very much
Can u share the IRCC contact that u called to?