+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP Refused - Any feedback would be highly appreciated

Hussain Junejo

Dec 22, 2014
Pakistan
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As most of you know about PGWP, I have a question.

If my masters program is of 16 months, what will be the length of PGWP issued for 16month masters course?

Anyw

Star Member
Jul 5, 2019
This is wrong, you do not need a valid TRV to apply for PGWP. TRV is only used to travel into Canada nothing else, it does not grant status.

While applying to PGWP you must have some valid status either student or visitor status you get student status by having a valid study permit and you get visitor status by being granted visitor status either on arrival or by switching or restoring your status to visitor while in Canada.
This is with regards to the case of my daughter who has just received refusal of her PGWP. She has no interest to make an appeal of the refusal. But she still wants to remain here in Canada until her graduation ceremonies this June. This is her situation:

1. She finished her studies last Fall Term 2022
2. Her Study Permit expired on March 30, 2023
3. Her Student Visa expired on July 2021
4. She has a Tourist Visa issued on December 2018 and will expire on Dec 2028

My question is: Is she allowed to stay here in Canada because she already as a Tourist Visa even if she entered Canada as a student.

Thank you for your reply.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
This is with regards to the case of my daughter who has just received refusal of her PGWP. She has no interest to make an appeal of the refusal. But she still wants to remain here in Canada until her graduation ceremonies this June. This is her situation:

1. She finished her studies last Fall Term 2022
2. Her Study Permit expired on March 30, 2023
3. Her Student Visa expired on July 2021
4. She has a Tourist Visa issued on December 2018 and will expire on Dec 2028

My question is: Is she allowed to stay here in Canada because she already as a Tourist Visa even if she entered Canada as a student.

Thank you for your reply.
She is out of status. She needs to apply to restore her status.

Reactions: Anyw

Anyw

Star Member
Jul 5, 2019
She is out of status. She needs to apply to restore her status.
Thank you for your reply. In the letter of refusal, she was given 90 days to restore her status, which means until Aug 1 which is 90 days after May 3 ( the date of refusal). But she plans to leave Canada on June 26, a few days after her graduation ceremonies. Does she still need to do restoration?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your reply. In the letter of refusal, she was given 90 days to restore her status, which means until Aug 1 which is 90 days after May 3 ( the date of refusal). But she plans to leave Canada on June 26, a few days after her graduation ceremonies. Does she still need to do restoration?
If she is not planning to apply for restoration, then the best practice is to leave Canada within 30 days of the refusal to avoid issues with future visas.

Anyw

Star Member
Jul 5, 2019
If she is not planning to apply for restoration, then the best practice is to leave Canada within 30 days of the refusal to avoid issues with future visas.
[/QUOTE

Thank you for your reply. In that case, since June 26 is more than 30 days after the date of refusal, may I know what action she should do to remain here in Canada as a tourist, taking into consideration that she has an existing Tourist Visa.

Anyw

Star Member
Jul 5, 2019
Thank you for your reply. In that case, since June 26 is more than 30 days after the date of refusal, may I know what action she should do to remain here in Canada as a tourist, taking into consideration that she has an existing Tourist Visa.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The existing tourist visa is meaningless. It does not allow her to remain in Canada beyond the validity of her study permit. All the tourist visa does is allow her to enter Canada as a tourist. Since the PGWP was refused, she has no status in Canada at this time.

As for what she should do...

If she wants to make sure she has no issues coming to Canada in the future, then she should apply for restoration now.

If she doesn't have any plans to return to Canada and doesn't care about any risks related to re-entering Canada in the future, then she can just stay in Canada without status and not bother applying for restoration.

Anyw

Star Member
Jul 5, 2019
The existing tourist visa is meaningless. It does not allow her to remain in Canada beyond the validity of her study permit. All the tourist visa does is allow her to enter Canada as a tourist. Since the PGWP was refused, she has no status in Canada at this time.

As for what she should do...

If she wants to make sure she has no issues coming to Canada in the future, then she should apply for restoration now.

If she doesn't have any plans to return to Canada and doesn't care about any risks related to re-entering Canada in the future, then she can just stay in Canada without status and not bother applying for restoration.
Thank you for replying. But what I would like to know is how can she restore her status on a visitor visa, or what steps she should do to get a status as a visitor, to remain here in Canada until her graduation ceremonies on June. Can she do it online, using her existing GCkey account? How long will be the decision to come out? Any advice on the specific steps she should do will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Anyw

Star Member
Jul 5, 2019
Thank you for replying. But what I would like to know is how can she restore her status on a visitor visa, or what steps she should do to get a status as a visitor, to remain here in Canada until her graduation ceremonies on June. Can she do it online, using her existing GCkey account? How long will be the decision to come out? Any advice on the specific steps she should do will be greatly appreciated.
update:

This forum is really very helpful. I searched some topics similar to my daughter’s case, and found the answers to my questions. Thank you very much.

Anyw

Star Member
Jul 5, 2019
update:

This forum is really very helpful. I searched some topics similar to my daughter’s case, and found the answers to my questions. Thank you very much.
Just want to share an update regarding the recent status of my daughter:

January 24, 2023 - submitted PGWP application
May 4, 2023 - received PGWP refusal
May 11, 2023 - submitted requesr for reconsideration thru webform
May 22, 2023 -submitted application for restoration of status
June 26, 2023 - left Canada
July 6, 2023 - received refusal of restoration of status on the basis that she already left the country
July 24, 2023 - received approval of PGWP

By the grace of God, everything went well. Just wait patiently for God’s perfect time. Thank you also for the members of this forum who shared their insights and experiences on whatever topics being discussed.