+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP refusal

MSH29

May 11, 2022
Hi , my PGWP was refused stating I was not a full time student during my program whereas I was a full time student during the program and it is mentioned on the completion letter that I received from the university. I will explain my situation, please bear with me

I came to Canada on September 2019 ,I dropped that first semester on medical ground and it was approved by the university. I did not work on that semester. I started the next semester on Jan 3rd 2020 as a full time student and started working part time as well. After doing couple of classes I realized I did not want to continue on that university and started looking for other options and I stopped doing classes but I was working part time. On Feb 11th I got an attendance warning Email from the university as I was not doing classes. They said they are going to report me to Immigration if I miss anymore class but I still did not go to the classes. I got admission into another university On Feb 27th 2020 but the class started on April 6th 2020. I was working till the last week of March (part time). I was enrolled throughout the whole Winter semester as a full time student but did not do any classes after doing couple. I applied for work permit on December 11th 2022 after completing the program from the second university and got the PGWP rejection letter on April 19th . What do you guys think has happened. What are my options now ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi , my PGWP was refused stating I was not a full time student during my program whereas I was a full time student during the program and it is mentioned on the completion letter that I received from the university. I will explain my situation, please bear with me

I came to Canada on September 2019 ,I dropped that first semester on medical ground and it was approved by the university. I did not work on that semester. I started the next semester on Jan 3rd 2020 as a full time student and started working part time as well. After doing couple of classes I realized I did not want to continue on that university and started looking for other options and I stopped doing classes but I was working part time. On Feb 11th I got an attendance warning Email from the university as I was not doing classes. They said they are going to report me to Immigration if I miss anymore class but I still did not go to the classes. I got admission into another university On Feb 27th 2020 but the class started on April 6th 2020. I was working till the last week of March (part time). I was enrolled throughout the whole Winter semester as a full time student but did not do any classes after doing couple. I applied for work permit on December 11th 2022 after completing the program from the second university and got the PGWP rejection letter on April 19th . What do you guys think has happened. What are my options now ?
Your situation is messy for a few reasons. This includes the fact you worked without authorization. Also, it sounds like it's quite possible your school reported you to IRCC for failing to attend classes full time. I would get help from a lawyer at this point.

I assume you notified IRCC that you changed schools and programs? Did the refusal letter say anything else?

Anyway, I would get help from a lawyer.

Reactions: YVR123 and Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You need a lawyer. If your first school reported you for not attending your classes then your study permit may have been cancelled. If so you worked without authorization and attend your second program without a study permit. Did you notify IRCC about the change in programs or know if your first university notified IRCC to cancel your study permit?

Reactions: canuck78 and YVR123

MSH29

May 11, 2022
The refusal letter just says I am not eligible for PGWP because I have not maintained full time studentship. I notified IRCC though GCkey about the school change as soon as I got accepted to BCIT on Feb 27th.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
The refusal letter just says I am not eligible for PGWP because I have not maintained full time studentship. I notified IRCC though GCkey about the school change as soon as I got accepted to BCIT on Feb 27th.
Were you full time for the second program?

MSH29

May 11, 2022
Yes I was. And it was mentioned on the completion letter that I used to apply for PGWP.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes I was. And it was mentioned on the completion letter that I used to apply for PGWP.
The big issue is that second semester of your first university. You essentially withdrew and kept on working. You should have replied for a new study permit.

123tempest321

May 14, 2023
I was enrolled throughout the whole Winter semester as a full time student but did not do any classes after doing couple.
Maybe this is why you got refused: -- you mentioned that you did not do any classes after doing a couple. If you did not do any classes, then it means you were still a part-time student.