+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pgwp refusal,

13Harjot

Jan 18, 2020
Hi there
I was full time student in sheridan college in electronics engineering, it is a 2 year diploma.
I had 3 straight full time semester and then official break of 4 months and after break 1 more full time semester
I got fail in 1 subject in 2nd semester and i took that subject in my official break and passed it
When i applied for pgwp it got refused in December saying that, you didn't meet requirements for pgwp as you was not full time Student
It is surely the immigration officer mistake, he didn't look at the provided information properly
If he was confused he should have asked additional documentation, as they usually do

I am on resoration period for 90 days
Can go to border for pgwp or
Now do i reconsider or reapply the pgwp, i am just confused
Please help

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
you were not full time student continuously, as such you are not eligible for pgwp. It is your mistake, not the officers

Reactions: mpsqra

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi there
I was full time student in sheridan college in electronics engineering, it is a 2 year diploma.
I had 3 straight full time semester and then official break of 4 months and after break 1 more full time semester
I got fail in 1 subject in 2nd semester and i took that subject in my official break and passed it
When i applied for pgwp it got refused in December saying that, you didn't meet requirements for pgwp as you was not full time Student
It is surely the immigration officer mistake, he didn't look at the provided information properly
If he was confused he should have asked additional documentation, as they usually do

I am on resoration period for 90 days
Can go to border for pgwp or
Now do i reconsider or reapply the pgwp, i am just confused
Please help
You should not go to the border while out of status. You can try for reconsideration or you can just apply for Restoration and should solid proof of your full-time status and that the one course was taken during a scheduled break. It is not typical to have a break between semesters 3 and 4, so perhaps the VO didn't understand.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
you were not full time student continuously, as such you are not eligible for pgwp. It is your mistake, not the officers
OP took the extra course while on a scheduled break and was full-time in the regular semesters, so s/he was still a full-time student.

Reactions: Dilpreet435

13Harjot

Jan 18, 2020
You should not go to the border while out of status. You can try for reconsideration or you can just apply for Restoration and should solid proof of your full-time status and that the one course was taken during a scheduled break. It is not typical to have a break between semesters 3 and 4, so perhaps the VO didn't understand.
Thanks for the reply
Is there any time period for reconsideration after refusal or we can do it any time
I also wanna know how much time process it is, so that afterwards i can reapply pgwp

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for the reply
Is there any time period for reconsideration after refusal or we can do it any time
I also wanna know how much time process it is, so that afterwards i can reapply pgwp
If you are going to do it, it should be as soon as possible.

There is no processing time. No one can tell you how long it may take. That is the risk you take.

primestudio

Star Member
Jul 7, 2018
OP took the extra course while on a scheduled break and was full-time in the regular semesters, so s/he was still a full-time student.
Just FYI, they revised the rule last year on made it clear that :

Full-time or part-time course load during a regularly scheduled break
Students who are enrolled full time during the academic sessions before and after a regularly scheduled break and who decide to undertake a full-time or part-time course load during that regularly scheduled break are eligible to work off campus on a full-time basis. If a program of study does not provide for a regularly scheduled break and a student creates their own break in a program, it is considered a leave from studies, rather than a regularly scheduled break. Students who create their own break in a program are not eligible to work on or off campus during that break.

Taken from: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html#scheduled-breaks

Since OP came back after the official break, he should still be eligible.

I have the same background as yours but I was under coop-program so that counted me as a normal full-time student. Allowing me to take courses on summer break while doing the coop (since its seen as taking another course). Confirmed by my international advisor.

Last edited:

Anmol sandhu

Aug 17, 2017
In my case i was full time my case was genuine. I started studying as follow
2018 winter first semester
2018 summer second semester
2018 fall official drop
2019 winter third semester
2019 summer third semester
2019 fall did two fail subject and passed
I am out of 180 days when i recieved refusal. Now applied for reconsideration and recieved corrrespondance letter. Dont know what will be results