+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP refusal Reconsideration

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
So you took an almost 2 year, full-time program program with no breaks and no failures, no leave? Is this you? If so did you notify IRCC and get approval for the change in DLI? If you got warning on Feb 11, 2020 for not attending classes did the university notify IRCC?

I came to Canada on September 2019 ,I dropped that semester on medical ground and it was approved by the university. I did not work on that semester. I started the next semester on Jan 3rd 2020 as a full time student and started working part time as well. After doing couple of classes I realized I did not want to continue on that university and started looking for other options and I stopped doing classes but I was working part time. On Feb 11th I got an attendance warning Email from the university as I was not doing classes. I got admission into another university On Feb 27th 2020 but the class started on April 6th 2020. I was working till the last week on March part time. I was enrolled throughout the whole semester as a full time student but did not do any classes.I applied for work permit in December 11th 2022 after completing the program for the second university and got the PGWP rejection letter on April 19th . What do you guys think has happened. What are my options now ?
Did you write a cover letter explaining your circumstances?

If let's say September 2019 to December 2019 can be explained by the medical leave, then the issue is the winter semester starting January 2020 until April 2020, which looks unaccounted for on their side, i.e. you weren't attending classes at any institution. It's okay to switch institutions but you still need to be enrolled during the semester, otherwise it looks like you weren't studying.

I think you have to explain the circumstances and hope they accept your rationale.

SKBAJWA

Oct 19, 2022
Hey there

It's a kind of information that ur request has been forwarded to the responsible officer. Whether the officer wants to re-open the application or not is totally up to the officer. In most cases, officers re-open the application and then make a decision

Jnessah

Oct 31, 2022
I submitted my reconsideration on October 26th 2022. On November 29th 2022, they told me my documents have been forwarded for the officer to view. How long do I know if the officer has changed his decision?

Reactions: abdullah23

Geezg

Nov 16, 2022
In my case my reconsideration forwarded to the officer at on 17 novmber and i got request for submit 100 at on 7 December

SKBAJWA

Oct 19, 2022
I submitted my reconsideration on October 26th 2022. On November 29th 2022, they told me my documents have been forwarded for the officer to view. How long do I know if the officer has changed his decision?
Hey

In my case, my reconsideration request was forwarded to the responsible office on November 02 and on November 10 my application got re-opened and I received a $100 open work permit holder fee request.

Thanks

Geezg

Nov 16, 2022
It mean when they asking submit for 100 dollars then they gonna approved your application. 100 dollars for open work permit fee. In some cases people are refunded 100 dollars after refusal that’s way they asking for submit 100 dollars again.

Geezg

Nov 16, 2022
Hey

In my case, my reconsideration request was forwarded to the responsible office on November 02 and on November 10 my application got re-opened and I received a $100 open work permit holder fee request.

Thanks
Hey this is kirat

SKBAJWA

Oct 19, 2022
It mean when they asking submit for 100 dollars then they gonna approved your application. 100 dollars for open work permit fee. In some cases people are refunded 100 dollars after refusal that’s way they asking for submit 100 dollars again.
Hey

Yes, I was refunded $100 when my application got refused. The day officer re-opened my application he/she requested me $100 open work permit holder fee. I can't say confidently about approval or rejection but yeah in my case and some other applicants' case, our applications definitely got approved when the officer asked $100 fee.

Thanks

hiphiphippo

May 10, 2021
Hi there! I have a very similar timeline as you, though my reason for reconsideration is a bit different. I submitted the webform on October 27th and was told the documents were forwarded to the officer on November 29th as well. Would you be able to let me know when a decision has been made for you? I'm thinking that since our timelines are similar, maybe the decisions would also be made more or less on the same day.

OVD

Feb 9, 2023
***PGWP SPECIAL CASE***
Initial PGWP application : August 30, 2022.
Review eligibility: January 9, 2023.
Refusal: January 9, 2023.
Applied for Reconsideration by webform: January 23, 2023.
Review eligibility: February 14, 2023.
Approved: February 14, 2023.

More Details:

Hello, I studied 3 Years Advanced Diploma. So, I was supposed to get 3 years of work permit. But, it got refused as I studied part-time in my Scheduled Break. So, I applied for reconsideration via webform and submitted the proof showing that the term I was part-time was my scheduled break. I got email mentioning that they have received to document on very next day of raising the webform. I got another email from officer on February 6, 2023 mentioning that My file have been sent to responsible office. On February 13, 2023 I got email that IRCC is waiting to hear from me (that means they want me to pay $100 that was refunded for open work permit and upload the receipt). I did that on very same day and my status got changed to submitted/processing from refusal. After 24 hours, I got email mentioning that we updated your application status. I logged in and found that the application was approved.

I hope you get in detail information about the case. I was so confused when I got refusal but I stood for myself. I asked couple of lawyers and they were suggesting me to reapply the PGWP along with the status of restoration with their own fees the total amount was $1750. But, I opted to go for reconsideration by myself.

I am not an immigration consultant but want to inform about the case as I wasn't having the information about this when I got refusal.

Thank you for reading this long message.

Chairman951

May 29, 2023
Hi everyone, I just got a rejection letter today due to part time study, here was the reason given on the letter:

[X] Foreign students in Canada are eligible for a work permit for post-graduation employment only if they have maintained full time student status in Canada during each academic session of the program or programs and have completed a program of study that is at least eight months in duration at a: University, community college, CEGEP, publicly funded trade/technical school or private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees As you do not meet this requirement, it has been determined that you are not eligible for a work permit in this category.

[X] R205(c)(ii) states: A student on leave who begins or resumes their studies within 150 days from the date the leave commenced (that is, the date the leave was granted by the institution) is considered to be actively pursuing studies during their leave. If a student does not resume their studies within 150 days, they should do either of the following: change their status (that is, change to visitor status or worker status) leave Canada If they do not change their status or leave Canada, they are considered non-compliant with their study permit conditions.

[X] You must leave Canada on or before the expiry of your current document or, if your document has expired you must leave Canada immediately. Failure to do so could result in enforcement action being taken against you.

I was wondering if I have other options like applying to another college for a study permit(and if granted) 8 month course would be a viable option or do i have to just leave?