+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP refusal (part time studies) - please help

ashleee

Oct 7, 2020
Hi, I just completed a 4 year engineering program here in Canada, with my study permit expiring on 1 August 2022. Unfortunately, I studied part time in the middle because my academic advisor suggested it to me due to my medical issues at the time, but she didn't know the rules about PGWPs back then. I did not know these rules either, otherwise I would have let myself fail those courses instead of landing in this situation :(

I am going to try to apply for a PGWP next week with medical docs, but judging from the posts here it looks like I still have a high chance of being rejected. After spending over $300,000 on my bachelor's degree and basically going into debt, it is really important for me to have a backup option in case my PGWP gets refused, so that my degree does not go to waste :(

I am so worried about the whole thing that I haven't even been able to eat or sleep for weeks now. I also have a fiance here (he is also a student obtaining a PGWP), and I cannot even imagine having to potentially leave Canada and never see him again because of this problem :( Life feels not worth living right now. If anyone has any advice or pathway ideas on how I could stay, I would really appreciate it. Here are the backup options I have thought of so far:

1. Enrolling into a masters degree: I was thinking of getting a 2 year masters degree as a backup option incase my PGWP gets refused. However, September 2022 admissions deadlines for international students have ended. It is likely that if I get into a masters program, it will have to be for January 2023 start. However, I have heard that to get a study permit extension and be "actively pursuing studies," i need less than 150 days gap between programs. Since this is more than 150 days between programs, could I restore status as a visitor and then apply for a brand new study permit for the masters? or is it likely to be refused since I have already held a study permit for the bachelors program?
  2. PR/express entry or Ontario PNP: I don't know how I would qualify for this because I do not have any Canadian work experience (since my PGWP will likely get refused). I only have my 4 year Canadian bachelors and good IELTS scores. Can I do anything to get a PR or PNP and save myself from leaving?
I would appreciate any help, ideas, or pathways on how I could continue my life here in Canada. I apologize for the lengthy message. I did consult with 2 immigration lawyers, but they charged me over 500$ each and gave conflicting advice, and now I have run out of money to be able to afford any further help from those lawyers.

ashleee

Oct 7, 2020
For context on the part time semesters: I was doing really badly in one semester due to my medical issues. I went to the academic advisor, who told me I should request a withdrawal from some courses, and repeat them next year as a part time student so that my GPA is not affected. This made me part time for 2 semesters :( When I asked her recently she said that she did not know the part time semesters are a problem for immigration. I acted on her advice because I trusted her back then, and now it feels like I have made the greatest mistake of my life.

ashleee

Oct 7, 2020
Hey, thank you for the link, I appreciate it! Just to confirm, are part time studies the same thing as an "authorized leave" though? Or are you saying that I can justify the part time studies for 2 semesters as being equivalent to an authorized leave?

(also 2 semesters part time = 240 days, which is more than 150 days, is that fine)

kiqr

Star Member
Feb 12, 2019
Just apply for PGWP with explanation letter and supporting documents. You had valid reason to be part time. Dont stress yourself. You are going to be fine. Have faith!

Lynda9781

Jul 29, 2020
I'm having a similar issue right now but a little bit more complicated, i was also part time due to medical reasons, but I have requested documents form my doctors and school advisors to support that decision. so hopefully things will go well

Reactions: droolphase

avidqtaqtx

Apr 18, 2021
I'm having a similar issue right now but a little bit more complicated, i was also part time due to medical reasons, but I have requested documents form my doctors and school advisors to support that decision. so hopefully things will go well
any update ?

Lynda9781

Jul 29, 2020
Great, if I may ask how many semester were you part time due to mental issue and what document you use to get the pgwp
I was away for one and a half semesters and had two brain surgeries. I brought doctor’s notes, notes from my school that acknowledged and approved me being away, a letter from my accessibility advisor, a letter from the assistant dean from my department basically saying he was aware that I had to take time off and after I got back I was able to finish my degree within the time frame with a good GPA …
But the immigrant officer at the border only asked me for my transcript lol.

Reactions: droolphase

droolphase

Sep 26, 2022
I was away for one and a half semesters and had two brain surgeries. I brought doctor’s notes, notes from my school that acknowledged and approved me being away, a letter from my accessibility advisor, a letter from the assistant dean from my department basically saying he was aware that I had to take time off and after I got back I was able to finish my degree within the time frame with a good GPA …
But the immigrant officer at the border only asked me for my transcript lol.
Did they not ask further questions when they saw the part time semesters on your transcript?

Sopunuchi

Star Member
Sep 19, 2018
Hi please can you reply the last question please. Its urgent. I failed some courses on my certificate program. And was part time for my last semster (2 courses) but my last semester isnt going to be my last dent anymore cause u have to repeat those 2 courses i failed so when they see my courses they will see i took 2 the last semester and another 2 after that which is part time twice. Am i making sense. Please what did they ask when they saw your transcript. Thanks

Mukki315

Aug 8, 2023
I was also part time during my 2nd semester. And i was not told that my status was dropped by college . i also worked on sin but not more than 20hrs per week when i was part time 80hrs in 4 months . Will it cause my trouble in my study permit extension or work permit. Please reply it is important

Last edited: