+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP Refusal & Confusions with Restoration of Status

jennerkyle

Apr 9, 2022
Hi everyone, this a descriptive post so I've attached the timeline of my case at the end of the post

I received my letter of completion on Oct 13th, 2021 (but completed my degree requirements on August 25th 2021), & applied for my PGWP on Nov 10th, 2021. But, I was given a refusal letter on March 17th, 2022 because I was a part-time student in my first semester (Winter 2018). I am reapplying for PGWP on April 11th for a reconsideration & submitting supporting documents by showing my Father's death as the reason for dropping the course.

I came back to the university in Sep 2021 and took 1 course in Fall semester & another course in Winter 2022 semester without being admitted to a degree program.

Because of this reason, when I spoke to the immigration advisor in my university after getting refusal letter , she told me that my study permit didn't become invalid after 90 days since I came back to the university immidiately after graduation

I spoke to a CIC agent in the morning yesterday, who also confirmed the same thing.

However, I called the CIC again in the evening and the new agent discussed my situation with a Program consultant & said that my study permit has actually become invalid despite taking 1 course in Sep 2021, since the courses that I took weren't part of any specific degree program. She also told me that I have 90 days from March 17th, 2022 to apply for the restoration of my status & since I am reapplying for my PGWP for a reconsideration, I must pay the restoration fee of $200 in addition to the PGWP application fee.

Can someone confirm if what the second agent said is True? (Since the University's immigration advisor & first CIC agent said I still have status) As well, if I do have to restore my status, do I need to make a separate application while applying for PGWP at the same Time?

I must apply for my PGWP by no later than April 11th!!!

So your response would be greatly appreciated!!

Timeline:
  • Jan 2018 - August 2021: Completed my Undergraduate degree by maintaining full time status with the only exception of being a part-time student in Winter 2018 (& being part-Time student in last semester & Summer semesters)
  • September 2021: Returned to the university as a part-Time student & took 1 course without being admitted to any specific program
  • October 13th, 2021: Received letter of completion
  • November 10th, 2021: Applied for my pgwp
  • January 2022: Continued as a part-Time student & took 1 course without being admitted to any specific program
  • March 17th, 2022: Received Refusal letter on my pgwp
  • April 11th, 2022: Deadline to reapply for PGWP for reconsideration since it'll be the 180th day since the completion letter was issued from the institution

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone, this a descriptive post so I've attached the timeline of my case at the end of the post

I received my letter of completion on Oct 13th, 2021 (but completed my degree requirements on August 25th 2021), & applied for my PGWP on Nov 10th, 2021. But, I was given a refusal letter on March 17th, 2022 because I was a part-time student in my first semester (Winter 2018). I am reapplying for PGWP on April 11th for a reconsideration & submitting supporting documents by showing my Father's death as the reason for dropping the course.

I came back to the university in Sep 2021 and took 1 course in Fall semester & another course in Winter 2022 semester without being admitted to a degree program.

Because of this reason, when I spoke to the immigration advisor in my university after getting refusal letter , she told me that my study permit didn't become invalid after 90 days since I came back to the university immidiately after graduation

I spoke to a CIC agent in the morning yesterday, who also confirmed the same thing.

However, I called the CIC again in the evening and the new agent discussed my situation with a Program consultant & said that my study permit has actually become invalid despite taking 1 course in Sep 2021, since the courses that I took weren't part of any specific degree program. She also told me that I have 90 days from March 17th, 2022 to apply for the restoration of my status & since I am reapplying for my PGWP for a reconsideration, I must pay the restoration fee of $200 in addition to the PGWP application fee.

Can someone confirm if what the second agent said is True? (Since the University's immigration advisor & first CIC agent said I still have status) As well, if I do have to restore my status, do I need to make a separate application while applying for PGWP at the same Time?

I must apply for my PGWP by no later than April 11th!!!

So your response would be greatly appreciated!!

Timeline:
  • Jan 2018 - August 2021: Completed my Undergraduate degree by maintaining full time status with the only exception of being a part-time student in Winter 2018 (& being part-Time student in last semester & Summer semesters)
  • September 2021: Returned to the university as a part-Time student & took 1 course without being admitted to any specific program
  • October 13th, 2021: Received letter of completion
  • November 10th, 2021: Applied for my pgwp
  • January 2022: Continued as a part-Time student & took 1 course without being admitted to any specific program
  • March 17th, 2022: Received Refusal letter on my pgwp
  • April 11th, 2022: Deadline to reapply for PGWP for reconsideration since it'll be the 180th day since the completion letter was issued from the institution
Being part of a program is irrelevant. You still have to maintain full-time status. Why did you take one class in Fall 2021 and Winter 2022? Were summer semesters mandatory?

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Being part of a program is irrelevant. You still have to maintain full-time status. Why did you take one class in Fall 2021 and Winter 2022? We’re summer semesters mandatory?
OP has posted her story numerous times on the forum. OP graduated in October 2021 but continued studying part-time. Also in another post -
I am reapplying for PGWP on this Mon for a reconsideration & submitting supporting documents by showing my Father's death as the reason for dropping the course (that I didn't mention in my earlier application) with His death certificate, along with my counselor's note and student advisor's note.

So not sure if she was full-time during studies.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
OP has posted her story numerous times on the forum. OP graduated in October 2021 but continued studying part-time. Also in another post -
I am reapplying for PGWP on this Mon for a reconsideration & submitting supporting documents by showing my Father's death as the reason for dropping the course (that I didn't mention in my earlier application) with His death certificate, along with my counselor's note and student advisor's note.

So not sure if she was full-time during studies.
Still doesn’t answer why they kept studying and only one course and whether summer sessions were required or not.

OVD

Feb 9, 2023
***PGWP SPECIAL CASE***
Initial PGWP application : August 30, 2022.
Review eligibility: January 9, 2023.
Refusal: January 9, 2023.
Applied for Reconsideration by webform: January 23, 2023.
Review eligibility: February 14, 2023.
Approved: February 14, 2023.

More Details:

Hello, I studied 3 Years Advanced Diploma. So, I was supposed to get 3 years of work permit. But, it got refused as I studied part-time in my Scheduled Break. So, I applied for reconsideration via webform and submitted the proof showing that the term I was part-time was my scheduled break. I got email mentioning that they have received to document on very next day of raising the webform. I got another email from officer on February 6, 2023 mentioning that My file have been sent to responsible office. On February 13, 2023 I got email that IRCC is waiting to hear from me (that means they want me to pay $100 that was refunded for open work permit and upload the receipt). I did that on very same day and my status got changed to submitted/processing from refusal. After 24 hours, I got email mentioning that we updated your application status. I logged in and found that the application was approved.

I hope you get in detail information about the case. I was so confused when I got refusal but I stood for myself. I asked couple of lawyers and they were suggesting me to reapply the PGWP along with the status of restoration with their own fees the total amount was $1750. But, I opted to go for reconsideration by myself.

I am not an immigration consultant but want to inform about the case as I wasn't having the information about this when I got refusal.

Thank you for reading this long message.

kati12

Aug 2, 2023
Hello,

I am in a similar case as you had and I have sent a re-consideration using a webform. I got an email saying the documents have been uploaded. But should I wait until I get an email saying it was sent for officer review or apply for restoration immediately? Did you apply for restoration while waiting for your reply? Please help me out. Thank you

khalsa.pradeepsingh

Star Member
May 4, 2019
Hi Everyone,
one of my friend applied for Restoration with PGWP, its been 6 months did not get any response. the worst thing is that he lost access to his account and not able to recover the pasword as he lost the passcode also. now he is not able to recover the password and not able to link his account.

he raised couple of web forms and everytime he gets that all the requirement documents were submitted and nothing to do anything from his side. now applied for GCMS notes and waiting for the response.
just wondering is there anyone else in the same situation. and what to do ?

Thanks in advance