+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP Question: one semester part-time (Only one course missing)

Chetan002

Aug 24, 2020
I did provided all the explanation, but still rejected it coz i was not full time student.
My friend have same situation but he got his pgwp from border. But I applied online thinking my case should be that complicated but i was totally wrong.

qweqwe

Star Member
Aug 14, 2019
I did provided all the explanation, but still rejected it coz i was not full time student.
I was in part time for two semesters in the middle of my years in university and mine was approved with no issue. And one of my friend also had a part time semester in the middle of her years but she also got her pgwp....
But we took three courses with 8 credits cuz one of the course we registered was only 2 credit.

Did you get any help from advisor for writing your
LOP?

My school advisor helped me and I included every details.

Chetan002

Aug 24, 2020
I was in part time for two semesters in the middle of my years in university and mine was approved with no issue. And one of my friend also had a part time semester in the middle of her years but she also got her pgwp....
But we took three courses with 8 credits cuz one of the course we registered was only 2 credit.

Did you get any help from advisor for writing your
LOP?

My school advisor helped me and I included every details.
My college advisors said they can’t help me coz according to them it was my fault, they said i should have took any course to be a full time student or i should have dropped all courses in that semester. They said if they’ll write letter it’ll further complicate my case and i might get refused again.

qweqwe

Star Member
Aug 14, 2019
My college advisors said they can’t help me coz according to them it was my fault, they said i should have took any course to be a full time student or i should have dropped all courses in that semester. They said if they’ll write letter it’ll further complicate my case and i might get refused again.
Yes, it is your responsibility to manage your course load. However, they can help “YOU” write a letter of explanation. My university also said they cannot write a letter for me since it was my responsibility to remain in full-time. But, there must be “international student advisor”. They will help you so find them and ask help..

I am pretty sure they will approve yours if you write a letter including every details showing them how desperate you are for the permit.

Chetan002

Aug 24, 2020
Yes, it is your responsibility to manage your course load. However, they can help “YOU” write a letter of explanation. My university also said they cannot write a letter for me since it was my responsibility to remain in full-time. But, there must be “international student advisor”. They will help you so find them and ask help..

I am pretty sure they will approve yours if you write a letter including every details showing them how desperate you are for the permit.
Okay. One last question, what exactly should i ask my international advisor to help me with? As you mentioned they didn’t provided you any letter then but exactly they helped you with? Thanks

qweqwe

Star Member
Aug 14, 2019
Okay. One last question, what exactly should i ask my international advisor to help me with? As you mentioned they didn’t provided you any letter then but exactly they helped you with? Thanks
International student advisor help students with applying for their immigration visa and/or permit. They know every details about immigration policy and there are chances they know how to persuade IRCC officers. Also they will help you write a letter formally in professional manner.

Make sure : (1) to read qualification for pgwp, (2) explain why you are eligible for pgwp, and (3) you did not violate anything.

if you include your plan in terms of career in Canada, it could also help you.

Sidhu29

Nov 5, 2020
Hi chetan, Did you get about pgwp or not , Did you apply again or what you did ?

Jasleen01

Mar 31, 2022
Hello Sir, if you have time can you help me, or someone can advise on what to do? I have the same situation but different case,
In the 2018 winter semester, I was a full-time student until the final exam, I took 3 courses which are 9 credits. I had 3 exams in a row, for the third exam I prepared the whole night and I went asleep at 5:00 am. My exam supposed to start at 8:00 am. I know this is a very silly mistake, I was ready to kill my self for this mistake. I tried to talk with the professor and explain that, but he said no (I kind of understand him). At the end of the semester, I switched from full-time student to part-time student due to the final exam that I missed, I got for that course UN (UN means when you miss important exams or didn't show up in class). Also, I was working at that time. Does anyone had this kind of case, and what did you do? What was the response from CIC? Did you get PGWP?
Hello Adilka,
I have the same situation now, I got N for a course in which I missed the final exam. There are no credits for it and it's considered as per college guidelines as : N - incomplete course for either not attending classes after withdrawal deadline or have not given final exam.
So now, my credits for this semester is 6 only.
Can you kindly, give me an update about your pgwp? And did you have any repercussions for working during that semester in which you got UN?

Alihandr0

Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ankara
Hi guys, I will meet the requirements in Fall 2022 and graduate in 2 academic calendars. Last summer, I didn't register at term and forgot to take permission from Carleton University . My University informed me that they cannot give leave of absence for previous semesters. ISSO said that when I applied for pgwp, I might have difficulties, that I might have to explain the situation and convince the officer. Has anyone experienced a similar situation? I will be very happy if you share your ideas. Thanks.

aiiida

Apr 27, 2022
Hello everyone,
I studied part time during my first semester at sfu with 2 units short, it was my mistake because I did not know that the eligibility to study part time for covid reasons have been removed by the start of 2021.
I am obviously not eligible to work in canada if I submit my application online, because I dont meet one of the requirements for pgwp that says you should remain full time during your studies.
Then if I dont work, my husband's permit expires because I cant upload a job offer and 3 paystubs to support him, and I have no idea how long it will take to get the answer.
I was thinking of doing a flagploe sland going to the boarder.
Any suggestions? Should I provide a letter of explanation to the officer? If they reject my request in the border, will I have the chance to appeal?

ashleee

Oct 7, 2020
Hello everyone,
I studied part time during my first semester at sfu with 2 units short, it was my mistake because I did not know that the eligibility to study part time for covid reasons have been removed by the start of 2021.
I am obviously not eligible to work in canada if I submit my application online, because I dont meet one of the requirements for pgwp that says you should remain full time during your studies.
Then if I dont work, my husband's permit expires because I cant upload a job offer and 3 paystubs to support him, and I have no idea how long it will take to get the answer.
I was thinking of doing a flagploe sland going to the boarder.
Any suggestions? Should I provide a letter of explanation to the officer? If they reject my request in the border, will I have the chance to appeal?
Hi aiiida, I am in the same situation as you with the part time semesters, and am trying to decide what to do. Did you apply for reconsideration online or at the border? and could you tell me whether you got approved or not?

adanikolas

Apr 11, 2023
Hi all,

Just an update regarding to my application:
yes I got the open work permit.

I didn't submit any letter to explain, since I am only one class less than what I need to take.
I took the risk and I got it.
no explanation or additional information were requested :)

I also talked to the immigration lawyer that were invited to our school. she also suggested us to go to US boarder to get the work permit approved in person. Usually they will ask you what happened that semester and you just need to provide a solid explanation, some said some officers don't even care who will just approve it.

**This method is much easier, but it also has a higher risk since it doesn't guarantee you the max. year of what you supposed to get.
- let say you studied 4 years and you supposed to get 3 years work permit.
A friend of mine went to the boarder and the officer only gave her 2 years
- You will need to talk to them politely and explain why you deserve the 3 years because some of them don't know how this visa works compared to the officers who are dealing with online application every day.
- and if you failed, your status will automatically switch to visitor visa. which is a bigger risk to take for some of us.
- then you need to re-apply online

Another thing is, it is more worth it to apply it online because you are allowed to work full time while you are waiting for the visa. so we get extra time to work.

About the letter, I didn't submit it because the lawyer told me not to, because it will attract more attention which would lead the officer to take a closer look at your case. My suggestion is, if you don't have a solid strong reason, AND you are not missing a lot of classes. let say just 1-2. Just leave it be and submit it.

Good luck guys ;) I hope you all get the permit!
Hey I'm currently in the same situation I only have one semester where I did 7 credits actually I did 10 but my college just removed a year later the course saying I never attended it. Its unfair and still the college is screwing me up for no reason. I did have covid during that time. What did u do to get approved?