+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP Question: one semester part-time (Only one course missing)

Mar 29, 2019
Hi there,
I know we have a lot of similar situation on this forum, but since everyone has a different case, I want to know an answer or some past experience that relate to my case specifically.

Long story short.
In the second semester of my 4 years of study at University, I didn't manage to study full-time because one of the classes that I wanted to enroll was full, and the rest of the available classes of that course didn't match my schedule (as the courses were overlapping). I tried to talk to the student council at the desk and they said they couldn't add me to a class that is full. I took that course next semester as my school didn't offer the course in summer and spring. So I was one course short to be a full-time student in that semester.

I remained full time for the rest of my study and manage to graduate on time.

I have talked to the school consultant and she told me to write a letter that explains the situation, but it might affect my application. And I got another suggestion of flagpoling from an immigration agency as well.

Have anyone heard of a similar case and some successful story of getting PGWP in a similar situation? What should I do? Any suggestion on how to write the letter to be more persuasive?

Thank you!

A more detailed timeline
2015 fall - full time (2.0)
2016 winter - part-time (1.5)
2016 fall - full time (2.0)
2017 winter - full time (2.50)
2017 summer - optional (1.0)
2017 fall - full time (2.5)
2018 winter - full time (3.0)
2018 fall - full time (3)
2019 winter - full time (2.5)

Note*To remain a full-time status at our school, it is required to have 2.0 minimum each semester

Last edited:
Reactions: Jane1705

gops19

May 6, 2019
Hi there,
I know we have a lot of similar situation on this forum, but since everyone has a different case, I want to know an answer or some past experience that relate to my case specifically.

Long story short.
In the second semester of my 4 years of study at University, I didn't manage to study full-time because one of the classes that I wanted to enroll was full, and the rest of the available classes of that course didn't match my schedule (as the courses were overlapping). I tried to talk to the student council at the desk and they said they couldn't add me to a class that is full. I took that course next semester as my school didn't offer the course in summer and spring. So I was one course short to be a full-time student in that semester.

I have talked to the school consultant and she told me to write a letter that explains the situation, but it might affect my application. And I got another suggestion of flagpoling from an immigration agency as well.

Have anyone heard of a similar case and some successful story of getting PGWP in a similar situation? What should I do? Any suggestion on how to write the letter to be more persuasive?

Thank you!

A more detailed timeline

Note*To remain a full-time status at our school, it is required to have 2.0 minimum each semester
My situation is similar yours...i will write a letter of explaination... any updates what happened to urs ?

kingvis

Jul 31, 2019
Hi there,

Long story short.

Thank you!

A more detailed timeline

I have the exact same situation to yours, any update?

raminhasani

Aug 22, 2019
Had two part time semesters in the middle of the 4 year program and got approved today!
Congratulations ,I'm in the same freaking condition ,every where I go ,every body I see keep telling me not to apply for PGWP because I'll be rejected ,can you please say how did you get approved ,did you get lawyer

qweqwe

Star Member
Aug 14, 2019
Congratulations ,I'm in the same freaking condition ,every where I go ,every body I see keep telling me not to apply for PGWP because I'll be rejected ,can you please say how did you get approved ,did you get lawyer
No I did it by myself. I had two part time winter semesters with 3 class but 8 credits. So I included a letter of explanation and got approved. Everyone also said I will get rejected, but I didn’t. Yes I was lucky. But there are other people who got approved with this situation.

qweqwe

Star Member
Aug 14, 2019
You know what. Lawyer cannot do anything for you. they may write a letter of explanation better than you, but that’s all. Go and talk to school advisor and ask help to write a letter. And I saw some people who didn’t submit their transcript to hide their parttime semesters. But they are putting themselves in risk of getting refused by insufficient document. Do not put yourself in that position. Just face your problem and be honest. Then officer will consider you.

raminhasani

Aug 22, 2019
Had two part time semesters in the middle of the 4 year program and got approved today!
Congratulations ,I'm in the same freaking condition ,every where I go ,every body I see keeps telling me not to apply for PGWP because I'll be rejected ,can you please say how did you get approved ,did you get lawyer or something ?
You know what. Lawyer cannot do anything for you. they may write a letter of explanation better than you, but that’s all. Go and talk to school advisor and ask help to write a letter. And I saw some people who didn’t submit their transcript to hide their parttime semesters. But they are putting themselves in risk of getting refused by insufficient document. Do not put yourself in that position. Just face your problem and be honest. Then officer will consider you.
Thank you for your advice. I actually had one semester part time in winter with 6 credit hours .The most stupid mistake of my life was that I could have taken general courses but I didn't .So Do you recommend I explain everything in a letter and be honest ? Im keeping my fingers crossed

qweqwe

Star Member
Aug 14, 2019
Congratulations ,I'm in the same freaking condition ,every where I go ,every body I see keeps telling me not to apply for PGWP because I'll be rejected ,can you please say how did you get approved ,did you get lawyer or something ?

Thank you for your advice. I actually had one semester part time in winter with 6 credit hours .The most stupid mistake of my life was that I could have taken general courses but I didn't .So Do you recommend I explain everything in a letter and be honest ? Im keeping my fingers crossed
I will recommend to emphasize that you’ve maintained full time status and continuously pursued learning without any term breaks. And you should also say you didn’t work during that part time semester. Also explain about the courses you took during the part time semester with a link so officer can see what the courses are.

I thought the requirement of maintaining full time status will be strictly applied only yo people who took only one course each semester to stay in canada as a student without actual active studying or who took term break not studying. Student visa is for student who want to actively pursue learning in canada. So I think you don’t need to worry.

raminhasani

Aug 22, 2019
I will recommend to emphasize that you’ve maintained full time status and continuously pursued learning without any term breaks. And you should also say you didn’t work during that part time semester. Also explain about the courses you took during the part time semester with a link so officer can see what the courses are.

I thought the requirement of maintaining full time status will be strictly applied only yo people who took only one course each semester to stay in canada as a student without actual active studying or who took term break not studying. Student visa is for student who want to actively pursue learning in canada. So I think you don’t need to worry.
Thanks buddy very helpful advice.

Reactions: qweqwe