+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP Query with a 1-PT semester in Undergrad + fully FT in Master

kingvis

Jul 31, 2019
Hello everyone,

I was enrolled in an university from 2014.09-2019.04 with a bachelor's engineering degree and then enrolled in another university from 2019.09-2020.08 with a master's degree.

I had 1 PT semester during my undergrad, the reason was I took English Language courses in 2014 Fall semester, so my academic journey started from 2015 Winter. As you may know, starting from a winter semester means that my course schedules would be a little different from those who started from Fall semester. Some course schedule conflicts would be induced to my situation because every course pattern was designed to fit the schedule of students who started their program from Fall semesters. For example, if I don't take prerequisite courses in Fall, then I wouldn't be able to register corresponding next-level courses in following winter. Also, in this following winter, school would not offer Fall term courses, which means that I had to wait another year until the next Fall term to make up these courses. This is the reason why I had a PT semester (2 courses) in 2016 Winter because I really had no other options. Moreover, I also have two PT summer semesters to fast track my degree. NOTE: my undergrad university clearly mentions that all summer terms are optional. Also, my engineering department do not offer engineering core courses in summer.

After I finished my undergrad, I immediately started my master program in another university and finished it as a fully and continuous full-time student in 1 year.

My question is, will I get affected due to that PT winter semester in my undergrad? I uploaded a LOE to explain my situation of being PT and also explained my summer terms were optional. If I get affected, then it means CIC doesn't care my time of master's program?

Another question is, can I do flagpole at the moment if I have applied PGWP online? Are flagpole locations open now?

Thanks for your inputs!

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Did you have to extend your study permit to do your master's? What did you tell them then? It sounds like you have a decent case, but ultimately things will be at the discretion of the visa officer. You can't flagpole right now.

kingvis

Jul 31, 2019
Did you have to extend your study permit to do your master's? What did you tell them then? It sounds like you have a decent case, but ultimately things will be at the discretion of the visa officer. You can't flagpole right now.
Yes I extended my study permit for my master's program, I did not tell them anything to extend my study permit, just uploaded my undergrad degree completion letter and my master's offer as they requested.

Last edited: