+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP QUERY (1 SEMESTER PART-TIME)

Swaff

Star Member
Aug 12, 2020
Can someone please let me know if there will be a problem in getting my PGWP?

Course: 5 semesters, 2 years MBA

1st semester is part time have to take 3 courses but took 2 courses because visa was not issued and was doing full-time job in home country.
Visa issued in between semester, travelled to Canada after finishing the semester, remaining 3 semesters are full time and in Canada, left with last semester will take only 1 course because 1 course left only.
Please guide what issues can I face for PGWP?

hamza125

Star Member
Nov 16, 2015
You should be enrolling full time unless you can't. That's the main requirement for PGWP and I have seen threads where applications got rejected for only enrolling part time in one of the semesters

Swaff

Star Member
Aug 12, 2020
You should be enrolling full time unless you can't. That's the main requirement for PGWP and I have seen threads where applications got rejected for only enrolling part time in one of the semesters
As per IRCC requirement the full time status should be maintained in Canada, but in my case I was not in Canada at that time.. Don’t u think this will not be a problem for PGWP?

hamza125

Star Member
Nov 16, 2015
As per IRCC requirement the full time status should be maintained in Canada, but in my case I was not in Canada at that time.. Don’t u think this will not be a problem for PGWP?
In my opinion, if you can complete your remaining courses in 3 semesters instead of leaving one for the 5th, officer would let go the fact that you did part time in your first semester.1 part-time/4 is a lot better ratio than 2 part-time/5. This is how I see it.

Last edited:

thaovy99

Jun 26, 2019
In my opinion, if you can complete your remaining courses in 3 semesters instead of leaving one for the 5th, officer would let go the fact that you did part time in your first semester.1 part-time/4 is a lot better ratio than 2 part-time/5. This is how I see it.
Disagree. IRCC states clearly that your last semester and only last semester can be part-time. So no problem for the 5th part-time semester.
The problem is the 1st part-time semester. I believe that OP made herself/himself ineligible for PGWP by doing that. The only thing OP can do is to apply for PGWP, try to provide reasons for that part-time semester (even though the outside of Canada and working full-time don't seem like valid reasons for me) and then prepare herself/himself to leave Canada if the PGWP is refused. I wish OP did some research before making that decision in the past. People are getting refused by having one part-time semester so better prepare for the worst scenario.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/eligibility.html

Notableme

Sep 4, 2021
Any update? I'm in the same situation

lizyyy

Star Member
Mar 9, 2021
Can someone please let me know if there will be a problem in getting my PGWP?

Course: 5 semesters, 2 years MBA

1st semester is part time have to take 3 courses but took 2 courses because visa was not issued and was doing full-time job in home country.
Visa issued in between semester, travelled to Canada after finishing the semester, remaining 3 semesters are full time and in Canada, left with last semester will take only 1 course because 1 course left only.
Please guide what issues can I face for PGWP?
Hi, have you applied for you PGWP? I have the same situation with you and I was wondering how you are doing with it.

cutiemoon

Star Member
Jun 8, 2021
Disagree. IRCC states clearly that your last semester and only last semester can be part-time. So no problem for the 5th part-time semester.
The problem is the 1st part-time semester. I believe that OP made herself/himself ineligible for PGWP by doing that. The only thing OP can do is to apply for PGWP, try to provide reasons for that part-time semester (even though the outside of Canada and working full-time don't seem like valid reasons for me) and then prepare herself/himself to leave Canada if the PGWP is refused. I wish OP did some research before making that decision in the past. People are getting refused by having one part-time semester so better prepare for the worst scenario.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/eligibility.html
Hi I’m a first year student and I’m still waiting for my visa. I switched to online classes late, as I’d expected my visa to be here and me be in Canada much earlier. But I’m still waiting. But by the time I went to add online courses most were full. So now I’m going to be part time in the first semester and full time in second semester. Use a high school transfer credit and do half credit in Summer. This way I’ll meet my first year credit req before my second year. But my first term is part time. Do you think if I explain this in a letter when applying for PGWP I’ll have a chance? It’s a pandemic and there’s visa delays out of my hands .

Tarun-12

Sep 22, 2021
Guys ,
If by mistake we attach same files in webform which are already submitted with the application while lodging the file ,does this create any issue?