+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP: Private Institute Vs College: Please Help!

UthbertV

Nov 17, 2017
Please help me to choose a right college for 1-year study. The course is focused on practical training to get one ready for the industry. I have 13 years of experience in the same industry in India. My main goal is to land a job upon course completion.

Option A: Diploma - Ideal for landing a job - But no PGWP as a private (DLI) Institute
Option B: Certificate - Decent course, but not good for landing a job. - in positive will get a 1-year PGWP

I need your help and suggestions. Please answer:

1. Which Course should I choose?
2. Should I go for option A, and if I don't land a job, apply for option B? And then apply for PGWP?
3. Should I choose a different public college and transfer credits from course A and apply for PGWP?

Please suggest. Thanks in Advance.

kapatid

Sep 27, 2016
Calgary
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
06-05-2006
Please help me to choose a right college for 1-year study. The course is focused on practical training to get one ready for the industry. I have 13 years of experience in the same industry in India. My main goal is to land a job upon course completion.

Option A: Diploma - Ideal for landing a job - But no PGWP as a private (DLI) Institute
Option B: Certificate - Decent course, but not good for landing a job. - in positive will get a 1-year PGWP

2. Should I go for option A, and if I don't land a job, apply for option B? And then apply for PGWP?
3. Should I choose a different public college and transfer credits from course A and apply for PGWP?

Well if you do get the diploma, you have to leave Canada after spending that much money.
This is not the previous era where getting a Canadian education will mean its a PR. The golden ticket now is skilled work experience. Go for a 2 year diploma in a public institution if possible.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Forget about the private college if you want to work in Canada afterwards. Without a PGWP, the employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA so that you can apply for a closed work permit. It is next to impossible to find employers willing to go through the LMIA process.

UthbertV

Nov 17, 2017
Thanks for replying kapatid. I am a 3D Artist working in video game industry. NOC (5241-B).
There is 2 years program in the public institute. This program is not very useful in terms of preparing me to create an art portfolio which will land me a job. But yes, I can get 2/3 years PGWP.

Well if you do get the diploma, you have to leave Canada after spending that much money.
This is not the previous era where getting a Canadian education will mean its a PR. The golden ticket now is skilled work experience. Go for a 2 year diploma in a public institution if possible.

UthbertV

Nov 17, 2017
Forget about the private college if you want to work in Canada afterwards. Without a PGWP, the employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA so that you can apply for a closed work permit. It is next to impossible to find employers willing to go through the LMIA process.
Oh. I wasn't clear about LMIA.
I was assuming even after getting a PGWP, an employer will anyway have to process LMIA for recruiting a non-Canadian employee. Thanks for this information.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Oh. I wasn't clear about LMIA.
I was assuming even after getting a PGWP, an employer will anyway have to process LMIA for recruiting a non-Canadian employee. Thanks for this information.
No. PGWP makes you LMIA exempt. Without a PGWP, forget about working in Canada after you complete your studies.

Kirti_ajit

Star Member
Jun 3, 2018
Hi friends,

I received LOA from a private college and I understand that I won't be eligible for pswp after the course. I am a Btech computer science graduate with 5 years of work experience in IT field.

My academic IELTS score

L- 7.5
R-6.5
W-7
S-7

I had approached around 5-6 consultancies for admission but they rejected my application as I had 16 back papers while pursuing graduation.
However, I got my LOA from Oxford college about 2 weeks ago since it is a private college.I have enrolled for the diploma in systems engineering course.
My agency people told me that they would transfer me to a community college after the 1st semester. Or I need to complete the course and then join a community college after 1 year.

Please, could someone advise me whether it is possible for me to get transferred after one year.