PGWP / passport expires

matt84

Star Member
Jan 10, 2010
Fredericton, NB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,

I'm going to start a one year post graduate program in Canada on a student visa in January 2013. My application for the
study permit has already been approved and I'm hoping to get a post graduate work permit once I graduate.
The problem is that my passport expires in May 2014 so the PGWP will be only valid until that date.

Can I apply at my embassy for a new passport or do I need to fly home to get it?
When shall I apply? Once finished with my studies?
Can I apply for a PGWP with a new passport (obviously my valid student visa would be in the old passport)?

I understand that I may get the PGWP valid until May 2014 and then apply for an extension with the new passport. Does this make more sense?

Alternatively, I could pick up a new passport valid for 10 years this month but I'm not sure if the visa officer at the POE would grant the visa
because I applied for a student visa with my old passport..

Thanks!

Pro_Public

Star Member
Dec 5, 2012
matt84 said:
Hi all,

I'm going to start a one year post graduate program in Canada on a student visa in January 2013. My application for the
study permit has already been approved and I'm hoping to get a post graduate work permit once I graduate.
The problem is that my passport expires in May 2014 so the PGWP will be only valid until that date.

Can I apply at my embassy for a new passport or do I need to fly home to get it?
When shall I apply? Once finished with my studies?
Can I apply for a PGWP with a new passport (obviously my valid student visa would be in the old passport)?

I understand that I may get the PGWP valid until May 2014 and then apply for an extension with the new passport. Does this make more sense?

Alternatively, I could pick up a new passport valid for 10 years this month but I'm not sure if the visa officer at the POE would grant the visa
because I applied for a student visa with my old passport..

Thanks!
Apply for your PGWP with copies of both your old passport and your new passport when you receive your official graduation confirmation letter/certificate.

luke11

Dec 9, 2012
I was in the same boat, what I did is...

I renewed my passport (10yrs) at the embassy and applied the PGWP with a copy of both old one (which was used to issue my study permit) and the new one.

When you apply the PGWP via online, you will be able to submit a pdf file to prove your passport/study permit validity. Scan all the necessary pages of your two passports and merge them into a single pdf file and attach it during the online application procedure (like attach a file on your email).

Hope it helps.

Cheers