+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP - Part-Time/Full-Time Status

Alexios

Dec 5, 2018
Hello people,

So here is my situation.

My program is: 1 Year Certificate ( Database Administration & Design )
I paid for 3 courses total of 10 credits for the first term, then due to unavailability of courses in the second term, I had to talk to BCIT employee to find out what I could do to get 9 credits in the second term. She offered me to transfer one of my courses in the first term to the second term so that I would have enough credits in each semester, but she didn't discuss anything about my full-time status that affects PGWP, and unfortunately I was novice back then so as long as she suggested me this I said okay let's do it.

So now I ended up with:

First Term: 2 Courses total of 9 credits. (I have proof that I paid for 3 courses in the first term.)
Second Term: 4 Courses total of 9.5 credits.
Third Term: 3 Courses total of 9.5 credits.

So rule is : Take a minimum of 3 courses worth at least 9 credits each term

I know that it was my responsibility but I think theirs too...Since we are international students, we can't know everything, our English was not great at that point in time. And top of that we're paying 3 times more than domestic students...

I still have 9 credits in the first term... BCIT says one of the 3 courses can be an online course each term, is there a chance that I can convince them or something?

But I guess I will get rejected, should I withdraw and get my money back before its too late?

Thanks,

Notes:

BCIT considers international students as having part-time status if they are enrolled in:
  • A Part-Time Program with less than 3 courses and 9 credits each term: Students self-register course-by-course.
International students who are enrolled in courses from part-time programs and want to be considered as having full-time status must meet the following requirements:

• Take a minimum of 3 courses worth at least 9 credits each term
    • One of the 3 courses can be an online course each term, provided that international students study within Canada
    • Study all 3 terms (fall, winter, spring/summer)

Last edited: