+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP Length?

haddyxx

May 9, 2014
Hey,

(sorry if the dates are confusing)

Long story but I did the first two years of my degree in Canada (most of it was done via distance ed if that matters), but then I left Canada last May. I continued completing the degree online from outside of Canada. I'm considering going back this September to finish the final term. I have 7 courses left so technically I could spread it out over two terms and finish May 2015 but Id rather not. This is further complicated because my uni acceptance letter goes until December 2015.

What I want to know if I go back and want to apply for a PGWP afterwards, what do you reckon the length of it would be? Technically I'll have done a degree in Canada but my study permit will most likely only go until June 2015. If I were to finish uni and apply say next January would I even get a PGWP and if so how long do you think it would be for?

Any advice would be appreciated!

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

haddyxx said:
Hey,

Long story but I did the first two years of my degree in Canada (most of it was done via distance ed if that matters), but then I left Canada last May. I continued completing the degree online from outside of Canada. I'm considering going back this September to finish the final term. I have 7 courses left so technically I could spread it out over two terms and finish May 2015 but Id rather not. This is further complicated because my uni acceptance letter goes until December 2015.

What I want to know if I go back and want to apply for a PGWP afterwards, what do you reckon the length of it would be? Technically I'll have done a degree in Canada but my study permit will most likely only go until June 2015. If I were to finish uni and apply say next January would I even get a PGWP and if so how long do you think it would be for?

You are not eligible for PGWP in Canada. Distance education does not qualify you.

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
haddyxx said:
Hey,

Distance education programs whether done in Canada or abroad do not qualify for PGWP as stated here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad-who.asp

haddyxx

May 9, 2014
txboyscout said:
Distance education programs whether done in Canada or abroad do not qualify for PGWP as stated here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad-who.asp
It isn't a distance ed program - it's a BA in business administration (specialty accounting) that I have just done most of online. I want to go back to canada to do the rest AT the college because some courses arent offered online.....

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A term is usually 12-18 weeks. So, that's 5 months tops. In order to qualify for PGWP you need to demonstrate full-time studies at a Canadian higher education instituition you have graduated from that lasted for at least 8 months. Also, bear in mind, that CIC might get skeptical of your eligibility considering the distance learning component you mentioned earlier.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
haddyxx said:
It isn't a distance ed program - it's a BA in business administration (specialty accounting) that I have just done most of online. I want to go back to canada to do the rest AT the college because some courses arent offered online.....
Courses complete online are considered to be distance education.

haddyxx

May 9, 2014
That's what I thought, and I'm not willing to stretch it out until May just to be able to apply for a PGWP. And to then be worrying about how long it would be for if they'd even give one to me - not worth it.

Thanks guys.