+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP issued for 1 year instead of 3 years

RBS2814

Dec 10, 2020
Hi All,

I made a mistake in PGWP. I did 2 courses and the application asked for the highest or most recent level of education. I submitted the latest course details and my work permit was issued for 1 year when I was entitled to 3 years. The application form was misleading and only 1 column was given to mention the academic course. What should I do to get the 3-year PGWP. I have applied for the same on the web form. Is this a common issue?

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
How long ago was the first course? If it was more than 180 days since the end of the first course, it won't count.

Ironclad

Champion Member
Aug 17, 2020
Canada
Don't post if you don't know.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.html#determining

The student completed more than one program from an eligible DLI within 2 years.

The length of the work permit should combine the length of each program.
If the combined length of the programs is 2 years or longer (or 1,800 hours or longer for DVS and AVS programs in Quebec), the work permit may be valid for up to 3 years.

??

NOTHING that you have stated indicates OP doesn't qualify.

Where is it stated that a program is not from a PGWP-eligible DLI?

OP is finishing the first program in April 2020 and then finishing the second one in 2021. If you can do math, that is within 2 years.

There is no rule that says programs must be in the same province. It is perfectly acceptable to do programs in different provinces.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html#off-campus

Last edited:

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
You were supposed to include proof of completion from both courses, transcripts, graduation letter etc. Plus a letter explaining that you want 3 years PGWP. Now we form is pretty much the only way to contact them and hope they reconsider, you can also try calling and explaining

sufjans

Star Member
Nov 6, 2020
i read that in some cases, people called up IRCC and the helpline executive leaves a note for visa officer to reconsider. So try that as well besides the web form.

RBS2814

Dec 10, 2020
Hello All,

Thanks for replying. This was the duration of my course. January 2019-August 2019, January 2020-August 2020. Applied in September 2020. My passport is valid until 2026. The officer said that I had to include all the transcripts in additional docs. Will they reconsider? @sufjans @bongoman @jweekend

sufjans

Star Member
Nov 6, 2020
They have reconsidered in the past so hope they do again. Write a very compelling request letter and attach all documents now.

sufjans

Star Member
Nov 6, 2020
He is eligible for 3 years. 180 day rule is for the last program. Since he continued his studies he was on study permit and could not apply for pgwp

Yagna1998

Sep 10, 2018
Hi, did your issue get resolved. Because same thing happened to me like today. I received my work permit only for 1 year. Please help me as I did the same mistake.

leroyrods

Star Member
Aug 13, 2020
After how many months of completing my first course can I apply for my second course? I finish my first course in mid April 2021. Can I start my second course in Jan 2022 to be eligible for the 3 year pgwp ( p.s I still need to apply. I just wanted to take a little break before I start again).

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
After how many months of completing my first course can I apply for my second course? I finish my first course in mid April 2021. Can I start my second course in Jan 2022 to be eligible for the 3 year pgwp ( p.s I still need to apply. I just wanted to take a little break before I start again).
No, you need to start the second course within 150 days.

Yagna1998

Sep 10, 2018
Hi,
Is it possible to resolve this issue of 1 year work permit instead of 3 via web form or do I need to get a consultant. Because I spoke with and they will charge $350 for that. Please let me know