+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP - Inside/Outside Canada

osamaobz

Mar 26, 2012
I graduated on 22nd January, 2020. My study permit is valid till August 2020 but it will expire after 90 days of completion of my studies ( which would be 22nd April Approx.) I had a return flight on 7th April, 2020 but due to travel ban and border restrictions I am unable to come back on 7th April. I will return hopefully on may and the study permit will be expire.
I need to start work immediately after I will land Canada. I read on CIC that International graduates who apply for a PGWP before the expiry of their study permit are only able to begin legally working in Canada. I need to apply online for PGWP as I need to start work immediately.
Case I: Can I apply outside Canada and put mailing address inside Canada? I heard that they will send me back because I need my work permit to be approved from my home country.
Case II: Can I apply inside Canada? If there be any issue or hurdle I can face at border?

What would be the best scenario to apply PGWP online before the expiry of study permit (22nd April).. ?

I will be thankful on your response.
Regards,
Osama

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I graduated on 22nd January, 2020. My study permit is valid till August 2020 but it will expire after 90 days of completion of my studies ( which would be 22nd April Approx.) I had a return flight on 7th April, 2020 but due to travel ban and border restrictions I am unable to come back on 7th April. I will return hopefully on may and the study permit will be expire.
I need to start work immediately after I will land Canada. I read on CIC that International graduates who apply for a PGWP before the expiry of their study permit are only able to begin legally working in Canada. I need to apply online for PGWP as I need to start work immediately.
Case I: Can I apply outside Canada and put mailing address inside Canada? I heard that they will send me back because I need my work permit to be approved from my home country.
Case II: Can I apply inside Canada? Would there be issue at Border?

What would be the best scenario to apply PGWP online before the expiry of study permit (22nd April).. ?

Regards,
Osama
You are outside of Canada, so you need to apply outside and give your current address.

osamaobz

Mar 26, 2012
You are outside of Canada, so you need to apply outside and give your current address.
And can I travel to Canada during it? I mean want to go to Canada when the situation get better. Or Shall I need to wait for the PGWP application to be approved then I can go to Canada?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
And can I travel to Canada during it? I mean want to go to Canada when the situation get better. Or Shall I need to wait for the PGWP application to be approved then I can go to Canada?
If you have a valid TRV, you can travel, taking into account the world situation of course.

osamaobz

Mar 26, 2012
If you have a valid TRV, you can travel, taking into account the world situation of course.
The permit will come at my home address (Pakistan) and there would be no one to receive it as my parents live in UAE and I will be travelling next month to Canada. Can I put Canadian address in the mail address while choosing outside canada for PGWP application?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
The permit will come at my home address (Pakistan) and there would be no one to receive it as my parents live in UAE and I will be travelling next month to Canada. Can I put Canadian address in the mail address while choosing outside canada for PGWP application?
Yes.

osamaobz

Mar 26, 2012
I have asked the CIC Through IRCC webform.

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

Leaving Canada during processing - Inside Canada application

We confirm that you may leave Canada while your application is being processed. Upon return, an officer will need to ask you questions to ensure you still meet all requirements before allowing you to re-enter Canada and avoid having your application considered as abandoned due to your absence.

If I apply Inside Canada, my application would be abandoned because of my absence but I will reach Canada in April. I am still not convinced that whats the reason behind in applying PGWP - Outside Canada?
In applying Outside Canada, are you confirm that the work permit will come at the Canadian Address if I put Canadian Address in the address section.?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

We confirm that you may leave Canada while your application is being processed. Upon return, an officer will need to ask you questions to ensure you still meet all requirements before allowing you to re-enter Canada and avoid having your application considered as abandoned due to your absence.

If I apply Inside Canada, my application would be abandoned because of my absence but I will reach Canada in April. I am still not convinced that whats the reason behind in applying PGWP - Outside Canada?
In applying Outside Canada, are you confirm that the work permit will come at the Canadian Address if I put Canadian Address in the address section.?
The reason is that YOU ARE OUTSIDE CANADA. Pretty self-explanatory....

vish4501

Jun 13, 2018
Helllo ..

I am also under on same boat . I have graduate and done my masters in May 2020. However, I had to visit my home in March 2020 and got stuck due to lockdown.
I have question .

1)Should I apply for pgwp outside Canada

2) or apply the application within Canada while outside

would appreciate reply .

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014

This is not consistent with what is written on ircc website, pgwp applications are not considered abandoned if you leave Canada during processing.

rajbir76

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
Case II: Can I apply inside Canada? If there be any issue or hurdle I can face at border?

Regards,
Osama
any update