+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP holders and LMIA (part of EE profile details)

ashrafgk

Star Member
Jun 23, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Everyone,

I am a holder of the Post Graduate Work Permit .. and as many of you know it's an open work permit with no LMIA number or any limitation to an employer.

My question is for Intended Work in Canada - LMIA section

Was a positive Labour Market Information Assessment (LMIA) issued for the job offer in Canada?

NO

Is (First Name Last Name) currently working in Canada?

For me .. yes I am.

Does (First Name Last Name) have a valid work permit for the current job in Canada?

Yes I do. The PGWP.

Is (First Name Last Name) job offer from the employer named on the current work permit?

No .. because the PGWP is an open work permit, and for employer section it says ANY.

Four digit NOC code of current work permit

There is no NOC code on my work permit .. so what do I write here??

Was a positive Labour Market Information Assessment (LMIA) issued for the current work permit?

Again .. No

This section is confusing. Any help would be appreciated.

DoubleS

Nov 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 5, 2014
Doc's Request.
CCC Jan 8, 2015
LANDED..........
Currently in Canada
ashrafgk said:
Hello Everyone,

I am a holder of the Post Graduate Work Permit .. and as many of you know it's an open work permit with no LMIA number or any limitation to an employer.

My question is for Intended Work in Canada - LMIA section

Was a positive Labour Market Information Assessment (LMIA) issued for the job offer in Canada?

NO

Is (First Name Last Name) currently working in Canada?

For me .. yes I am.

Does (First Name Last Name) have a valid work permit for the current job in Canada?

Yes I do. The PGWP.

Is (First Name Last Name) job offer from the employer named on the current work permit?

No .. because the PGWP is an open work permit, and for employer section it says ANY.

Four digit NOC code of current work permit

There is no NOC code on my work permit .. so what do I write here??

Was a positive Labour Market Information Assessment (LMIA) issued for the current work permit?

Again .. No

This section is confusing. Any help would be appreciated.
I am going back over my application, please tell me exactly where in the application process you are, so I can try to assist you. Quick question, when the system asked if you had a job offer what was your response?

ashrafgk

Star Member
Jun 23, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DoubleS said:
I am going back over my application, please tell me exactly where in the application process you are, so I can try to assist you. Quick question, when the system asked if you had a job offer what was your response?
I said Yes .. I have a full-time job offer from my current employer who I've been working with since March.

Danforth

Oct 15, 2012
As far as I am aware, previously LMIA exempt jobs (such as the PGWP) now require an LMIA to be a qualifying job offer. The LMIA for this process, however, is free (instead of $1000), but still takes weeks and lots of paperwork for the employer for an unsure outcome.

ashrafgk

Star Member
Jun 23, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yeah exactly. The problem comes down to "what is a job offer" and according to this page

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/offer.asp

A valid job offer has to be:

- for continuous, paid, full-time work (at least 30 hours a week) [CHECK]
- for work that is permanent and not seasonal [CHECK]
- skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2011 National Occupational Classification (NOC) [CHECK]

and either: (and here is my problem)

a- the employer making you the job offer must have a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment from Employment and Social Development Canada OR

b- you are currently working in Canada in a NOC 0, A or B job on a work permit that was issued based on a Labour Market Impact Assessment

----

So What I understand from this, if no LMIA is shown, then it's not an accepted Job Offer (at least in the case of EE). So in this case I have to answer "NO" for that question (Do you have a job offer)

dukhi

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2013
Danforth said:
As far as I am aware, previously LMIA exempt jobs (such as the PGWP) now require an LMIA to be a qualifying job offer. The LMIA for this process, however, is free (instead of $1000), but still takes weeks and lots of paperwork for the employer for an unsure outcome.
But in the help link above the question "Do you have a valid job offer?" says nothing about LMIA it only says it should be permanent. Only later in this section the form asks whether a LMIA was done for this position or not...the answer to which would be no from our side....

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ashrafgk said:
So What I understand from this, if no LMIA is shown, then it's not an accepted Job Offer (at least in the case of EE). So in this case I have to answer "NO" for that question (Do you have a job offer)
Correct - the answer is no. You need an LMIA if you want to claim points for a job offer. It doesn't matter that you are on a PGWP - an LMIA is still mandatory.

DoubleS

Nov 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 5, 2014
Doc's Request.
CCC Jan 8, 2015
LANDED..........
Currently in Canada
scylla said:
Correct - the answer is no. You need an LMIA if you want to claim points for a job offer. It doesn't matter that you are on a PGWP - an LMIA is still mandatory.
I agree with Scylla, an LMIA is now mandatory to claim job offer points.

ashrafgk

Star Member
Jun 23, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yeah so I guess I will answer with "NO" for now. Submit what I have. Then ask my employer about the LMIA .. and update my profile when (and if) I get it.

DoubleS

Nov 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 5, 2014
Doc's Request.
CCC Jan 8, 2015
LANDED..........
Currently in Canada
ashrafgk said:
Yeah so I guess I will answer with "NO" for now. Submit what I have. Then ask my employer about the LMIA .. and update my profile when (and if) I get it.
Yup, that's your best option. All the best. You should still end up with a pretty good score.

dukhi

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2013
Sorry to interrupt you guys...but if the job offer question has a necessary requirement for LMIA why would they ask questions such as

"Was a positive Labour Market Information Assessment (LMIA) issued for the job offer in Canada?"

Correct me if i am wrong....

tailcat

Nov 26, 2013
dukhi said:
Sorry to interrupt you guys...but if the job offer question has a necessary requirement for LMIA why would they ask questions such as

"Was a positive Labour Market Information Assessment (LMIA) issued for the job offer in Canada?"

i got the same question too

DoubleS

Nov 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 5, 2014
Doc's Request.
CCC Jan 8, 2015
LANDED..........
Currently in Canada
dukhi said:

IMO, because not every job requires a LMIA, they are trying to determine which category the applicant falls under and also determine how much points to give the applicant.

AAA2133

Dec 17, 2014
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-09-2015
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
28-09-2015
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
21-10-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
24-09-2015
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
24-02-2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-03-2016
LANDED..........
11-03-2016
The first question only mentions permanent/non-seasonal requirement, and later adds LMIA condition! So I agree with you!

dukhi said:

evanstp9

Nov 27, 2012
The way I see it -->

When they ask:

that is the part they check whether your job offer is valid or not...

The previous question was not if you have a valid job offer, but if you have a job offer, that is the exact wording of the question.

So I think you should put "yes", since you are working, and of course when later they ask about the LMIA for that job offer (to check if is valid), then "no".

That makes sense to me, that's what I answered as well