+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP Help ?

maccyd10

Oct 26, 2015
I have a job offer to start on 22 April (no labour market assessment)
I am completing my study program, last lectures today (Friday 12th April)
I expect I won't get formal letter of completion of program / transcripts for 1 - 2 weeks (probably around 29th April)

Can I submit my PGWP before I get this document?
Or can I start work before I submit application for PGWP?
Or Any other suggestions?
Or do I have to approach employer and explain that I may have to postpone starting work for them and hope they understand.

I really don't want to risk loosing job offer

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment but in the period between finishing and receiving your completion letter you can only work part time( 20hrs a week ) as stated in below link as long as you meet the requirements stated.

Once you receive your letter you must either stop working or apply for a PGWP. Once you apply for a PGWP which you cannot do until you have the completion letter , you could flip to full time work pending a decision on the PGWp.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html#off-campus

Last edited:

maccyd10

Oct 26, 2015
Thank you for the response. I believe you are correct.

I'll have to contact my employer and see if we can either postpone my start date or just work part time until I get my transcripts

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Yep you need the letter before applying. I went through the same thing. Got my letter 1 day before my study visa ended.

maccyd10

Oct 26, 2015
Yep you need the letter before applying. I went through the same thing. Got my letter 1 day before my study visa ended.
Thanks, I'm not too worried about study permit running out, I have a year of validity left.

Congrats on your PGWP