+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP. Help about spouse visa (OWP)

Janmeet Singh

Star Member
Aug 23, 2014
Hello Guys, I am having some trouble regarding following situations. Please help in any way you can.

1. I am a Masters Student in Western University.
2. I am graduating in April 2016 (in about 2 months).
3. Will apply for PGWP in May hopefully.
4. I am married.

The troubles I am having are:-

1. Should I apply for my wife's Open Work Permit right now in few days?
Code:
Since I am graduating in April and OWP usually takes about 2 to 3 months, so I am worried that this will be a problem, since the basis of OWP will be on my degree status (study permit).
2. Can I apply her OWP along with my application of PGWP? Is this even an option?
Code:
Or maybe temporary residence visa along with that and then change it into OWP when she is here.
3. If 2nd option is not valid, then I will have to apply her OWP after I got my PGWP.
Code:
So, in this situation will I need a relevant job to my study field to be able to apply for her OWP, or it is not that much of issue and job is not a problem. (Note: - Given that I can show enough funds required by CIC for one year of residency expenses).
Any help would be great I am confused and really don't know what to do.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
They won't grant her an OWP now since you have less than six months remaining in your studies. In order for her to qualify for an OWP once you have compelted your studies, you must first secure a job that is full time and NOC A, B or 0. So you will need to wait until after you have completed your program and have a full time skilled job before she can apply for her work permit.

Janmeet Singh

Star Member
Aug 23, 2014
scylla said:
They won't grant her an OWP now since you have less than six months remaining in your studies. In order for her to qualify for an OWP once you have compelted your studies, you must first secure a job that is full time and NOC A, B or 0. So you will need to wait until after you have completed your program and have a full time skilled job before she can apply for her work permit.
Thank you for this information. I understand what you said.

But when I tried to make an online checklist for the PGWP, it gave me an option of applying for family members who can join me in Canda. I followed this option and selected OWP for my wife. It created the checklist which had my application for PGWP and her OWP application and relevant documents to them.

This made wonder that can I apply for my Wife's OWP at the same time I apply for my PGWP. Because, if this is not an option then we can not trust online application even regarding the PGWP checklist because it is risky then. They will simply refuse even if we follow the online application checklist. :eek:

evanstp9

Nov 27, 2012
The spousal OWP, of a PGWP holder will only get approved if the PGWP holder has a skilled job (NOC O, A, B).
You will be required to provide in the spousal OWP a reference letter or employment contract and a recent paystub.

Janmeet Singh

Star Member
Aug 23, 2014
Then why are they giving the option to apply for OWP along with PGWP. If they know they won't accept it why don't just leave that option. Is this just for 300 dollars, that they seriously troll people like me. They should, at least, mention it somewhere that you must have a skilled job then we will accept your application.
If I had not consulted you guys I would have fallen for this serious prank.

evanstp9

Nov 27, 2012
It is clearly mentioned here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=199&top=17, using just a generic question, not a lot of digging.

Also, another generic section: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who.asp

With more digging, you will find this: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/students/post-grad.asp (check the last Note on the page)

To sum up, this information is definitely well documented in their system and website, you need to either look harder, or more detailed and focused (that is a piece of advice regarding immigration), using different combinations of the keywords you look for.

The problem that the online system shows you that option though, is another thing.. I guess it has to do with the programming of the online system and applications used at the "backend", I can only assume this.

Keep doublechecking and try to verify every little detail to avoid surprises..