+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pgwp extension sin number?

Edric13

Star Member
Feb 6, 2019
Hello,
I am now in Canada with expired pgwp and working on the interim email base. I applied to extend my sin number with expired pgwp and interim email i received but i just got a reply it is not acceptable.

Any idea on how can I renew my sin?

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Hello,
I am now in Canada with expired pgwp and working on the interim email base. I applied to extend my sin number with expired pgwp and interim email i received but i just got a reply it is not acceptable.

So basically you are out of status, isn't it? In that case I think you have no option though I maybe wrong.

PaulAbhik23121989

Star Member
Sep 19, 2017
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Category........
CEC
But how can you work without sin?
You cannot work on an expired SIN and an expired PGWP. That's against the regulations of Employment Insurance Act and Regulations however if you have already applied for your PGWP extension (Public Policy) and maintained your status (implied), you can work on an expired SIN but you would need to renew your SIN once the decision of your PGWP extension is made. Its because employers won't hire you if you have an expired SIN as it requires for Taxation purposes.

Edric13

Star Member
Feb 6, 2019
You cannot work on an expired SIN and an expired PGWP. That's against the regulations of Employment Insurance Act and Regulations however if you have already applied for your PGWP extension (Public Policy) and maintained your status (implied), you can work on an expired SIN but you would need to renew your SIN once the decision of your PGWP extension is made. Its because employers won't hire you if you have an expired SIN as it requires for Taxation purposes.
But what about the interim email? I'm working based on that. What status am i in? Implied? But i am in Canada as visitor.

nickgrizzly

Star Member
May 16, 2022
BC
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Calgary, Montreal
Med's Request
09-05-2023
Med's Done....
10-05-2023
LANDED..........
08-06-2023
When did your PGWP expired? Did you apply to extend your work permit before it expired?
Hello,

PaulAbhik23121989

Star Member
Sep 19, 2017
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Category........
CEC
But the interim email i got allows me to work though.
The interim email (I believe you applied under Public Policy) you received, that seems like you are on an Implied Status which means you can continue working. However, you'd have to wait on the decision from IRCC so that you can renew your SIN with a valid PGWP. I am not sure if you can renew your SIN with an Interim email from IRCC. I suggest you contact Service Canada, explain it to them and see what they says.

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Did Service Canada agreed to issue you a SIN based on that? If yes than all good otherwise contact IRCC how to resolve it as I am pretty no employer will give you employment without a SIN.

nickgrizzly

Star Member
May 16, 2022
BC
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Calgary, Montreal
Med's Request
09-05-2023
Med's Done....
10-05-2023
LANDED..........
08-06-2023
My work permit expired, but I’ve maintained my status. Can I keep working under the same conditions of my initial work permit if my Social Insurance Number (SIN) is expired?
Yes. If you applied to extend your work permit before your initial work permit expired, you can keep working, even if your SIN is expired. This is allowed under the Employment Insurance Act and Regulations.
Renewing your SIN
When you get your new work permit, you can renew your SIN.
You can give your employer proof that you’ve applied to renew your SIN. Once you get a new expiry date for your SIN, you must give it to your employer within 3 days.

Info from CIC website. You CANNOT extend/renew your SIN number without your extension being approved, though you can keep working if you maintained status.

Edric13

Star Member
Feb 6, 2019
My work permit expired, but I’ve maintained my status. Can I keep working under the same conditions of my initial work permit if my Social Insurance Number (SIN) is expired?
Yes. If you applied to extend your work permit before your initial work permit expired, you can keep working, even if your SIN is expired. This is allowed under the Employment Insurance Act and Regulations.
Renewing your SIN
When you get your new work permit, you can renew your SIN.
You can give your employer proof that you’ve applied to renew your SIN. Once you get a new expiry date for your SIN, you must give it to your employer within 3 days.

Info from CIC website. You CANNOT extend/renew your SIN number without your extension being approved, though you can keep working if you maintained status.
Thanks but I'm not sure about maintained status. My pgwp expired and i left Canada before the expiry and entered after expiry as a tourist. I'm now working with interim email while waiting on my owp application.

nickgrizzly

Star Member
May 16, 2022
BC
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Calgary, Montreal
Med's Request
09-05-2023
Med's Done....
10-05-2023
LANDED..........
08-06-2023
Thanks but I'm not sure about maintained status. My pgwp expired and i left Canada before the expiry and entered after expiry as a tourist. I'm now working with interim email while waiting on my owp application.
If you didn't maintained status you shouldn't even be working right now. See info below:

Maintain your status
If you apply to extend or change the conditions of your work permit before it expires, you’re legally allowed to stay in Canada while we process your application.

If your work permit expires while we process your application, find out if you can keep working.

Date and time we receive your application
To maintain your status, we must receive your application before your work permit expires. We determine the date and time an application is received 2 ways:

1. If you apply online:You must submit your application before midnight UTC on the day your work permit expires.
    • Our online application system uses coordinated universal time (UTC).
    • Make sure you know the difference between your local time and UTC.
  2. If you apply on paper:We stamp paper applications the day we receive them at the case processing centre.
    • If we receive an application after your work permit expires, we’ll count back 7 days and use that as the date received.
Status not maintained, then you're not allowed to work while waiting for your application to be processed. You should stop working immediately.