+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP extension - LMO from staffing agency valid?

phathalo

Star Member
Mar 20, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-07-2011
AOR Received.
23-09-2011
Med's Request
17-10-2011
Med's Done....
28-10-2011
Passport Req..
01-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
03-01-2012
Hi all,

I have been working as full-time contractor in a canadian bank through a staffing agency (meaning that I have an employment relationship with the staffing agency) for about a year now, but my PGWP will be expiring in September. I learned that I need to get my employer to request an LMO first before applying for a new WP. My questions are:

- is a staffing agency a valid 'employer' from the LMO perspective?

-for applicants under the PGWPP, HRSDC requires that the employer answers yes to the question “Is the job temporary with intent to permanent?”. Is this applicable to staffing agencies also?

- will the new WP be on the same conditions as my current PGWP (open) or will I be required to change it if I want to find another job?

I'm expecting to be able to fulfill the equivalent of one year experience in a couple of weeks. Given that the CEC application might take more than 1 year before I can be approved for PR, how can I guarantee that my new WP will be issued with more than 1-year expiration date?

Too many questions. Thank you in advance

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
phathalo said:
Hi all,

I have been working as full-time contractor in a canadian bank through a staffing agency (meaning that I have an employment relationship with the staffing agency) for about a year now, but my PGWP will be expiring in September. I learned that I need to get my employer to request an LMO first before applying for a new WP. My questions are:

- is a staffing agency a valid 'employer' from the LMO perspective?

-for applicants under the PGWPP, HRSDC requires that the employer answers yes to the question “Is the job temporary with intent to permanent?”. Is this applicable to staffing agencies also?

- will the new WP be on the same conditions as my current PGWP (open) or will I be required to change it if I want to find another job?

I'm expecting to be able to fulfill the equivalent of one year experience in a couple of weeks. Given that the CEC application might take more than 1 year before I can be approved for PR, how can I guarantee that my new WP will be issued with more than 1-year expiration date?

Too many questions. Thank you in advance
1. No, a staffing agency is not a valid employer. The bank must apply for the LMO if they want to keep you.
2. A new work permit will not be open because the intention is that the employer wants to make you a permanent employee.
3. You can't guarantee that your work permit will be issued with more than a 1 year expiration date.

phathalo

Star Member
Mar 20, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-07-2011
AOR Received.
23-09-2011
Med's Request
17-10-2011
Med's Done....
28-10-2011
Passport Req..
01-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
03-01-2012
Thanks rjessome, that's what I thought.

I guess my other option is to look/find another job in the next 2/3 months since I've been thinking about it anyways.