+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP Extension due to passport expiry

andybai2022

Oct 17, 2022
Hi guys, this is the 126 day after I submitted my application for the extension of my PGWP with my new passport. I mailed my paper application to IRCC, but doesn't get approved until now. Anybody in the same situation?
Submitted: August 14

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi guys, this is the 126 day after I submitted my application for the extension of my PGWP with my new passport. I mailed my paper application to IRCC, but doesn't get approved until now. Anybody in the same situation?
Do you have verification that application was received? Have you called IRCC? What is your current status?

andybai2022

Oct 17, 2022
Yes, they gave me the application number, I can track it in gic, the status shows "we are processing your background check"

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes, they gave me the application number, I can track it in gic, the status shows "we are processing your background check"
So you provided your new passport? That is a long time for a background check. Are you in Canada right now? If so, contact your local MP and ask them to contact IRCC. They cannot expedite but may find out more information. Or you can order GCMS notes. What is your current status in Canada?

andybai2022

Oct 17, 2022
Yes I gave my new passport number in the application. I am in Canada and the work permit will expire on Feb 12. The processing time in IRCC says it will take 130 days from inside Canada

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes I gave my new passport number in the application. I am in Canada and the work permit will expire on Feb 12. The processing time in IRCC says it will take 130 days from inside Canada
Processing times are when most applications, not all will be processed. You can call IRCC and find out more, order GCMS notes or get MP involved.

Bainstalwinder

Apr 23, 2017
I also submiited pgwp ext application om sept 2 and with renewed passport so is any worry i submitted online application?? Still waiting

Bainstalwinder

Apr 23, 2017
Why u submiited paper application any particular reason???

andybai2022

Oct 17, 2022
The websites says that extension of PGWP due to passport expiry should be in paper format. Anyway, online submission is acceptable and more convenient.

Reactions: Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Why u submiited paper application any particular reason???
IRCC states paper application only for extension due to the expiry of your passport.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/apply.html#extend

If you need to extend your PGWP or change its conditions
You must apply on paper if you’re extending or changing the conditions of your PGWP. You can only extend your PGWP if your passport expired before your PGWP’s validity period.

Bainstalwinder

Apr 23, 2017
The websites says that extension of PGWP due to passport expiry should be in paper format. Anyway, online submission is acceptable and more convenient.
Ok thanks…in my case passport was not expired it supposed to expire in 2024 but to get maximum pgwp extension i renewed it and applied online application in september. Is that online application acceptable?? Or i shuf have done paper appliecation. Although i attached my both paaaports in document section.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Ok thanks…in my case passport was not expired it supposed to expire in 2024 but to get maximum pgwp extension i renewed it and applied online application in september. Is that online application acceptable?? Or i shuf have done paper appliecation. Although i attached my both paaaports in document section.
So did you have a PGWP already, and applied to extend it? If that is the case, you needed to apply via paper.