+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP extension due to passport expiry

smhj777

Nov 8, 2018
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a guide to extending my PGWP as I was only given 2 years when I applied due to my passport expiring. I have recently renewed my passport and my PGWP will be expiring in 4 months, and I'm looking to apply to extend it. I've found some guides on here, but some seem different than others and so I was wondering which guide is best and most recent one to use (as well as fastest since I only have 4 months).

Secondly, I was wondering if there was any way to check how many years I will be given when I apply based on my post-secondary education. Is there a website where I can input my degree and will be told how long I should be given?

Also, how long are the processing times to be approved for the extension?

Thanks!

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Secondly, I was wondering if there was any way to check how many years I will be given when I apply based on my post-secondary education. Is there a website where I can input my degree and will be told how long I should be given?
I'll help with your second question. There's no such web site. However the rule is that if you studies for two or more years then you qualify for a 3 year PGWP. So if you were given 2 years - you'll get an additional 1 year.

smhj777

Nov 8, 2018
I'll help with your second question. There's no such web site. However the rule is that if you studies for two or more years then you qualify for a 3 year PGWP. So if you were given 2 years - you'll get an additional 1 year.
Thanks! That's exactly what I wanted to know, was worried I'd only be qualified for 2 haha.

vj_viju

Star Member
Jul 21, 2015
Canada
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
WhiteHorse/Calgary
App. Filed.......
06-05-2021
AOR Received.
14-04-2022
Med's Request
18-08-2022
Med's Done....
06-09-2022
VISA ISSUED...
29-09-2022
LANDED..........
09-10-2022
@smhj777
My PGWP extension approved today let me know if you have any questions about filling any fields in application. and yes you would get 1 year additional if you got approved for 2 years earlier.

Cheers,
Vj

smhj777

Nov 8, 2018
@smhj777
My PGWP extension approved today let me know if you have any questions about filling any fields in application. and yes you would get 1 year additional if you got approved for 2 years earlier.

Cheers,
Vj
Hey! Thanks for the reply. I already submitted it via paper about a month ago, but no reply yet. Is there anyway to check the status of the application? Also, how long did it take you to get a response/approval? Thank you :)

Ktrandhawa

Apr 15, 2019
@smhj777

Cheers,
Vj
Hi ,
Am studying 1 year post graduate diploma in Ontario and i plan to study 1 more year after this . How many years I willl get for work?

vj_viju

Star Member
Jul 21, 2015
Canada
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
WhiteHorse/Calgary
App. Filed.......
06-05-2021
AOR Received.
14-04-2022
Med's Request
18-08-2022
Med's Done....
06-09-2022
VISA ISSUED...
29-09-2022
LANDED..........
09-10-2022
Hey! Thanks for the reply. I already submitted it via paper about a month ago, but no reply yet. Is there anyway to check the status of the application? Also, how long did it take you to get a response/approval? Thank you :)
Unfortunately you cant check the status of paper application until it is linked to your online account. Sad part is that we dont even receive any acknowledgement mail from IRCC.

My Timelines:
Sent paper application: 28th Jan 2019
IRCC Received : 1st Feb 2019
Linked my paper application to Online account: May 1st
Application Approved: 8th May

vj_viju

Star Member
Jul 21, 2015
Canada
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
WhiteHorse/Calgary
App. Filed.......
06-05-2021
AOR Received.
14-04-2022
Med's Request
18-08-2022
Med's Done....
06-09-2022
VISA ISSUED...
29-09-2022
LANDED..........
09-10-2022
Hi ,
Am studying 1 year post graduate diploma in Ontario and i plan to study 1 more year after this . How many years I willl get for work?
I'm not sure about this but you could get 3 years PGWP

smhj777

Nov 8, 2018
Unfortunately you cant check the status of paper application until it is linked to your online account. Sad part is that we dont even receive any acknowledgement mail from IRCC.

My Timelines:
Thank you! I am worried because my PGWP expires in 3 months and I submitted my application about 1.5 months ago but haven’t gotten any update. My application included: receipt for work permit payment, the PGWP paper application, and a letter of explanation. I don’t know what I should do because if I don’t get a response soon I would have to schedule a flight back home.. but I want to stay in Canada. Do you have any advice from your experience? thanks!

Maxsharma12

Jun 26, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you! I am worried because my PGWP expires in 3 months and I submitted my application about 1.5 months ago but haven’t gotten any update. My application included: receipt for work permit payment, the PGWP paper application, and a letter of explanation. I don’t know what I should do because if I don’t get a response soon I would have to schedule a flight back home.. but I want to stay in Canada. Do you have any advice from your experience? thanks!
you do not need to go back to your home country; as long as your application is under process (even when your current permit got expired) you can stay in Canada under "Implied Status".

Kind regards,

Iza1504

Aug 14, 2018
Hello everyone.
I am in the process of applying for pgwp extension (original was given for a year due to my passport expiry).
Can you confirm what papers do I need to file? Do you have a link do the online application where I can download the papers?
I am applying for family of 3.

Any feedback will be highly appreciated
Thank you ;)

kay yu

Jul 19, 2019
you do not need to go back to your home country; as long as your application is under process (even when your current permit got expired) you can stay in Canada under "Implied Status".

Kind regards,
Hi can i ask quesion too?
I can understand that he can stay as long as his application under process(PGWP extension due to passport expiry)
i am in the exactly same situation but
1. i applied only 22days before the expiry date on my current PGWP cuz of a personal issue. do u think still it is possible to stay in Canada or is it better to leave before the expiry date and wait at the outside of canada?
2. can i still work full time after the current permit expired? do you think it is not safe?

thank you so much

Last edited:

Navpreet0817

May 29, 2019

My Timelines:
hi VJ,
I sent my paper application May 9th and was delivered on May 13th. Do we need to do Biometrics if i am applying within canada?

Maxsharma12

Jun 26, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi can i ask quesion too?
I can understand that he can stay as long as his application under process(PGWP extension due to passport expiry)
i am in the exactly same situation but
1. i applied only 22days before the expiry date on my current PGWP cuz of a personal issue. do u think still it is possible to stay in Canada or is it better to leave before the expiry date and wait at the outside of canada?

Do not leave

2. can i still work full time after the current permit expired? do you think it is not safe?

Yes , you can work and it is safe.

thank you so much