+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP extension after passport renewal?

Raylsien

Feb 25, 2021
Hello!
Last year I received my post-graduation work permit (PGWP) but was granted only the time for how long my passport was valid. I have now renewed and received my new passport. I want to extend my PGWP to its full length.

My questions:
- On this page it states PGWP extensions must be applied on paper. I find this odd since all other applications are done online. Reading the forum some people claim the offices to process paper applications are closed due to Covid. Should I now apply online or on paper?

- I'm currently working. If it takes too long to process my application, it is likely for my current work permit (and social insurance number, which only lasts as long as the PGWP) will expire, before the extended PGWP arrives. According to here, I'm still allowed to continue to work, despite having no up-to-date work permit and social insurance number. However, I must be able to prove I have already applied for the PGWP extension. How do I prove that if I apply on paper?

- If an application on paper is absolutely required, how long will it roughly take? How do I apply, what documents do I need and how do I pay the fee then?

Thank you for any help!

Riri15

Star Member
Jan 30, 2020
Hello!
Last year I received my post-graduation work permit (PGWP) but was granted only the time for how long my passport was valid. I have now renewed and received my new passport. I want to extend my PGWP to its full length.

My questions:
- On this page it states PGWP extensions must be applied on paper. I find this odd since all other applications are done online. Reading the forum some people claim the offices to process paper applications are closed due to Covid. Should I now apply online or on paper?

- I'm currently working. If it takes too long to process my application, it is likely for my current work permit (and social insurance number, which only lasts as long as the PGWP) will expire, before the extended PGWP arrives. According to here, I'm still allowed to continue to work, despite having no up-to-date work permit and social insurance number. However, I must be able to prove I have already applied for the PGWP extension. How do I prove that if I apply on paper?

- If an application on paper is absolutely required, how long will it roughly take? How do I apply, what documents do I need and how do I pay the fee then?

Thank you for any help!
Hey, you will need to apply by paper. You should follow these links. I sent my extension application and was received on February 15, 2021.
You should apply by paper, use these two links for more info:
If your current PGWP is expiring you should apply before the expiration date to get an implied status.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/apply/alternate-format.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5580-applying-work-permit-student-guide-paper.html

Raylsien

Feb 25, 2021
Thank you for the answer! How much do I need to pay in this case for the processing fees? Does this count as restoration as a worker, but my current work permit is not expired yet? Do I also need to pay the fee to also restore my study permit that was linked to the PGWP?

Last edited:

Riri15

Star Member
Jan 30, 2020
You will have to pay the processingfee 155 + the open work permit holder fee: 100.
If your current work permit isn't expired you don't need to apply for restoration ( only needed when current permit expired more than 90 days before applying.)

If you have an up to date work permit you can just forget about the study permit as it no longer has anything to do with your work permit extension.

Thank you for the answer! How much do I need to pay in this case for the processing fees? Does this count as restoration as a worker, but my current work permit is not expired yet? Do I also need to pay the fee to also restore my study permit that was linked to the PGWP?

bonny22

Jun 22, 2021
Hi there. I've read and followed every step that I found here in this forum (thank you). In my case, I already forwarded my paper application last January 8, 2022. It arrived in Edmonton on January 14, 2022 and since then, the status of my package is "out for delivery" / delayed delivery. My questions are :

1. How would I know if they received it already? Will they mail an acknowledgement letter? I tried linking my paper application online, but it says they have no records of it yet.
2. Should I get worried because expiration of my pgwp is this coming April 2022?
3. What should be my next step?

Any suggestions will be of great help. Thank you!

Riri15

Star Member
Jan 30, 2020
Hi there. I've read and followed every step that I found here in this forum (thank you). In my case, I already forwarded my paper application last January 8, 2022. It arrived in Edmonton on January 14, 2022 and since then, the status of my package is "out for delivery" / delayed delivery. My questions are :

1. How would I know if they received it already? Will they mail an acknowledgement letter? I tried linking my paper application online, but it says they have no records of it yet.
2. Should I get worried because expiration of my pgwp is this coming April 2022?

1. It happened that the mail delivery worker forgets to scan the mail when delivered. Something you can do is call ircc and ask if they received your application as they won't send you a confirmation. You will only be able to link your application when they start working on it. I linked mine the day it was approved as it was opened and approved the same day.
2. If you're already working you don't have to worry, you can keep working with the same employer. If you plan to change employer do so before If expires as you won't be able to change job while waiting for the approval.
3. Meanwhile try linking every other day or week (depending on the current timeline) and try not to get crazy.
Ps: You can also request a proof of delivery from Canada Post or the mail carrier you used for peace of mind.

Reactions: bonny22

bonny22

Jun 22, 2021
1. It happened that the mail delivery worker forgets to scan the mail when delivered. Something you can do is call ircc and ask if they received your application as they won't send you a confirmation. You will only be able to link your application when they start working on it. I linked mine the day it was approved as it was opened and approved the same day.
2. If you're already working you don't have to worry, you can keep working with the same employer. If you plan to change employer do so before If expires as you won't be able to change job while waiting for the approval.
3. Meanwhile try linking every other day or week (depending on the current timeline) and try not to get crazy.
Ps: You can also request a proof of delivery from Canada Post or the mail carrier you used for peace of mind.
Hi Riri15,

I followed all of your advices and would like to thank you for your prompt response. I went to Canada post but still, it's delayed delivery in their system up until now. I can't contact IRCC also as there's no available operator.
Luckily, I received an email from IRCC (in response to my webform before) confirming receipt of our application. I guess I just have to wait for the good news soon.
Again, thank you so much. This has been helpful.

psyduck

Star Member
May 16, 2019
Hi. May I know your timeline for your pgwp extension paper application? Thanks

bonny22

Jun 22, 2021
Hi. May I know your timeline for your pgwp extension paper application? Thanks
Hi Psyduck,

1. My PGWP original permit is expiring on April 2022. I'm supposed to get the full 3 years but I only got 1 year because my passport is expiring when I applied for initial PGWP. Per IRCC website on paper application, you should mail your application 3-4 months before expiry so I forwarded mine this January 2022.
2. It was January 8, 2022 when I forwarded my application thru Canada Post. I just told them I want the fastest service possible, mail arrived in Edmonton last January 14, 2022. I would suggest that you require signature upon receipt option so that you'll be notified that your mail was delivered, else, they will not update/scan it.
3. I was able to linked my application in IRCC website last February 14, 2022. However, I'm still waiting for the actual renewed permit to arrive in my mailbox. Hopefully I can receive it anytime soon.

Hope I answered your question. Thanks.

Reactions: psyduck

VizKrish

Jan 8, 2022
Hi Psyduck,

1. My PGWP original permit is expiring on April 2022. I'm supposed to get the full 3 years but I only got 1 year because my passport is expiring when I applied for initial PGWP. Per IRCC website on paper application, you should mail your application 3-4 months before expiry so I forwarded mine this January 2022.
2. It was January 8, 2022 when I forwarded my application thru Canada Post. I just told them I want the fastest service possible, mail arrived in Edmonton last January 14, 2022. I would suggest that you require signature upon receipt option so that you'll be notified that your mail was delivered, else, they will not update/scan it.
3. I was able to linked my application in IRCC website last February 14, 2022. However, I'm still waiting for the actual renewed permit to arrive in my mailbox. Hopefully I can receive it anytime soon.

Hope I answered your question. Thanks.
Hi, could you please suggest how did you link your application, as my work permit is also expiring on April 2022, I had applied for an extension on January 18th, and it was delivered on 25th January.

bonny22

Jun 22, 2021
Hi, could you please suggest how did you link your application, as my work permit is also expiring on April 2022, I had applied for an extension on January 18th, and it was delivered on 25th January.
Hi VizKrish,

Step 1 : Log in using your GC key
Step 2 : You'll see a button for link account so click it
Step 3 : Just fill up the boxes with your information and you're good to go

Lemme know if that works. All the best!

psyduck

Star Member
May 16, 2019
I was not able to link paper application to my online gckey account as of this date. Follow bonny22's instruction. Upon logging in to your account, you can see a hyperlink that says add/link your application.

geetverma

Mar 16, 2022

Hi there,
I have my pgwp expiring in August 2022, I got just an year PGWP instead of three years because of my passport expiry.
Now i have a renewed passport, but i am having major difficulty in understanding how to renew the pgwp. If please someone can guide me through

VizKrish

Jan 8, 2022
Hi VizKrish,

Step 1 : Log in using your GC key
Step 2 : You'll see a button for link account so click it
Step 3 : Just fill up the boxes with your information and you're good to go

Lemme know if that works. All the best!
I have tried doing that but its still didn’t work.. may be they have not yet started with my application.

psyduck

Star Member
May 16, 2019
Got my PGWP-ext approved today. Here's my timeline.

Oct 16, 2021: Gathered docs for PGWP paper application
Oct 17: Mailed application package
Oct 19: Package delivered and received by IRCC- Edmonton (Canada post tracking)
Jan 11, 2022: Initial PGWP expires (maintained status)
Mar 3: Made an enquiry about my application thru webform (takes so long to link to online account and it exceeds processing time)
Apr 1: Got email approval from IRCC. Was able to link my application online. Currently waiting for the actual docs.

Hope others were also approved today. My friend and I got approved on the same day and almost the same time, yet we had different lodging timeline and ways (paper and online).

Reactions: bonny22