+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP expiry and express entry

RedBerry

Mar 15, 2018
Hi,

My PGWP expires in April 2019. I have a full time time job now but my company does not sponsor LMIA. I want to keep working in Canada so these are the options I am thinking about:

1. I need to make an application for Express entry and while I wait on the decision I can apply for a bridging open work permit (BOWP) before my PGWP expires.
  2. I apply for another study permit for a program which starts from May 2019. But can I apply for study permit while my PGWP is still active?
  3. Apply for a new work permit after my PGWP expires. I do not know if that is possible.
  4. Search for another job with a company which does LMIA. I am currently doing this but as I understand, it is hard to find a company who will actually sponsor your LMIA.

I complete 1 year of Canadian work experience (in NOC B catgeory) in Aug 2019 and my PGWP expires in April 2019. So I may not be able to apply for express entry under CEC. I need some more time to hit to 12 months work experience after which I can qualify for CEC.

What should be a good option for me to continue my work and stay in Canada after April 2019. Please suggest

Thanks.

sam_dawkins

Jul 24, 2016
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
04-01-2017 (RCMP Criminal Record Check) Submitted 20-01-2017
Nomination.....
16-09-2016
AOR Received.
24-10-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Passport Req..
25-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-01-2018
LANDED..........
11-01-2018
1. You can only apply for BOWP if you have received AOR.
2. You can apply for another Study Permit while your PGWP is active but your PGWP will not be valid once you receive a SP.
3. If you are eligible for 3 year PGWP but due to some other reasons you got less than 3 years PGWP then you might be eligible for PGWP extension.
4. Looks like your only option.
If you have valid job experience with proper CIC format experience letter from you home country then try to get a higher IELTS/CELPIP score which will improve your CRS score and thus it will improve your chance got an EE ITA.

jaffaral

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2014
Category........
Other
I can see myself in your post. That’s where I was standing back in 2015. Like said! If u haven’t got 3 years permit and u have 1-2 months left to complete your 3 years thn apply for extension just 10 days before the expiry. I don’t know how much time currently it takes for renewal but if takes enough time for your 52 weeks to be completed thn go for it

PR guy

Mar 23, 2019
I can see myself in your post. That’s where I was standing back in 2015. Like said! If u haven’t got 3 years permit and u have 1-2 months left to complete your 3 years thn apply for extension just 10 days before the expiry. I don’t know how much time currently it takes for renewal but if takes enough time for your 52 weeks to be completed thn go for it
What did you do in your case? Were you owed some months on your PGWP or did you apply for a study permit?

jaffaral

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2014
Category........
Other
What did you do in your case? Were you owed some months on your PGWP or did you apply for a study permit?
I applied for extension! However, my consultant screwed up and my application was returned post marked incomplete.

So I couldn’t do what I planned which then turned out to be my departure from Canada with vow to return back

PR guy

Mar 23, 2019
I applied for extension! However, my consultant screwed up and my application was returned post marked incomplete.

So I couldn’t do what I planned which then turned out to be my departure from Canada with vow to return back

Oh that sucks. Good thing everything worked out well for you. Congrats on the PR!

SinagTala

Mar 29, 2016
Hi,

My PGWP expires in April 2019. I have a full time time job now but my company does not sponsor LMIA. I want to keep working in Canada so these are the options I am thinking about:

1. I need to make an application for Express entry and while I wait on the decision I can apply for a bridging open work permit (BOWP) before my PGWP expires.
  2. I apply for another study permit for a program which starts from May 2019. But can I apply for study permit while my PGWP is still active?
  3. Apply for a new work permit after my PGWP expires. I do not know if that is possible.
  4. Search for another job with a company which does LMIA. I am currently doing this but as I understand, it is hard to find a company who will actually sponsor your LMIA.

I complete 1 year of Canadian work experience (in NOC B catgeory) in Aug 2019 and my PGWP expires in April 2019. So I may not be able to apply for express entry under CEC. I need some more time to hit to 12 months work experience after which I can qualify for CEC.

What should be a good option for me to continue my work and stay in Canada after April 2019. Please suggest

Thanks.
Hi,

Hope everything is doing well on you now.
I will be in the same situation soon, may I just ask if you managed to extend your PGWP or if you did apply for another study permit? Hope you can share some inputs , thank you.