+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP expiring - Need big help

mai1995

Sep 17, 2020
I am living in Ottawa. My work permit will expire in May 2022 and I just got a full time job in June 2021 but
  • I can't apply for ONIP: INTERNATIONAL STUDENT STREAM because I graduated in December 2018 and the requirement is that my education credential must be within 2 years of ONIP application submission date.
  • I can't apply for Express Entry because I got my first full-time job in June 2021 (no co-op). I will be lacking 1 month of experience to become a 1 year of experience.
  • My company does not give me an offer for LMIA (closed work permit).
  • There is no news about public policy for PGWP extension like last year.
I wasted too much money for college and time for finding a job but finally I got one (Software Developer) and my work permit is about to expire. I almost got a job but failed 2 interviews in the final round because covid-19 occurred and they didn't want to hire that position anymore in 2020. My life recently is all about unfair and stressful. So what options do I have now because I don't want to go back to my country?
  • Trying to apply for open work permit under public policy and praying that they will approve it?
  • Looking for a consultant lawyer for help and cost money?
  • Getting a new study permit and going back to college again and continue to waste money?
Does anyone continue to stay in Canada after work permit expired or ideas for me?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am living in Ottawa. My work permit will expire in May 2022 and I just got a full time job in June 2021 but
  • I can't apply for ONIP: INTERNATIONAL STUDENT STREAM because I graduated in December 2018 and the requirement is that my education credential must be within 2 years of ONIP application submission date.
  • I can't apply for Express Entry because I got my first full-time job in June 2021 (no co-op). I will be lacking 1 month of experience to become a 1 year of experience.
  • My company does not give me an offer for LMIA (closed work permit).
  • There is no news about public policy for PGWP extension like last year.
I wasted too much money for college and time for finding a job but finally I got one (Software Developer) and my work permit is about to expire. I almost got a job but failed 2 interviews in the final round because covid-19 occurred and they didn't want to hire that position anymore in 2020. My life recently is all about unfair and stressful. So what options do I have now because I don't want to go back to my country?
  • Trying to apply for open work permit under public policy and praying that they will approve it?
  • Looking for a consultant lawyer for help and cost money?
  • Getting a new study permit and going back to college again and continue to waste money?
Does anyone continue to stay in Canada after work permit expired or ideas for me?
- The public policy has ended. There is no point applying under this policy since they are no longer accepting applications. Your application will be refused if you apply.
- I'm not sure how a consultant or lawyer can help you.
- Yes, one option would be to switch back to a study permit and return to school.
- Another option is to change your status to visitor before your PGWP expires which would allow you to continue to remain in Canada as a visitor (but not work).
- People are hoping that a new public policy will be announced for those who are on a PGWP. But so far there is no news. Discussions on this topic are in the CEC section of the forum.
- I assume you are not from a country that participates in the IEC program?

Reactions: Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Look at other OINP streams like Foreign Worker: Job Offer, Human Capital Stream - Tech (Express Entry). What is your CRS score?

mai1995

Sep 17, 2020
Look at other OINP streams like Foreign Worker: Job Offer, Human Capital Stream - Tech (Express Entry). What is your CRS score?
Thanks, I will look at other OINP, but for other OINP, do they help me get a bridge work permit to continue to work here? my CRS score is 339

mai1995

Sep 17, 2020
- The public policy has ended. There is no point applying under this policy since they are no longer accepting applications. Your application will be refused if you apply.
- I'm not sure how a consultant or lawyer can help you.
- Yes, one option would be to switch back to a study permit and return to school.
- Another option is to change your status to visitor before your PGWP expires which would allow you to continue to remain in Canada as a visitor (but not work).
- People are hoping that a new public policy will be announced for those who are on a PGWP. But so far there is no news. Discussions on this topic are in the CEC section of the forum.
- I assume you are not from a country that participates in the IEC program?
Thank you for your answers, I have no options left right? I am from Vietnam and it doesn't in IEC program, but can I still apply for it? Does it help me get a new work permit or stay in Canada and continue to work?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your answers, I have no options left right? I am from Vietnam and it doesn't in IEC program, but can I still apply for it? Does it help me get a new work permit or stay in Canada and continue to work?
You can't apply under IEC. This isn't an option.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks, I will look at other OINP, but for other OINP, do they help me get a bridge work permit to continue to work here? my CRS score is 339
That will be too low for OINP - tech. Your only option is for your employer to support your application with a permanent, full-time job. So talk to your employer, make sure they meet requirements and submit. Check your OINP score and see if eligible. You need to show past work experience in the NOC.

To meet the work experience requirement, you must have at least two years of cumulative paid full-time work experience (or the equivalent in paid part-time work) in the same occupation (same National Occupational Classification code) as your job offer.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/oinp-employer-job-offer-foreign-worker-stream

A BOWP is only an option if you are nominated.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What did you do after your graduation in Decrmber 2018? Have you been in Canada qnd unempliyed since December 2018?

mai1995

Sep 17, 2020
That will be too low for OINP - tech. Your only option is for your employer to support your application with a permanent, full-time job. So talk to your employer, make sure they meet requirements and submit. Check your OINP score and see if eligible. You need to show past work experience in the NOC.

Thank you for your answer but for this one, do you mean LMIA like closed work permit? If not, what kind of application my employer can support me?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you for your answer but for this one, do you mean LMIA like closed work permit? If not, what kind of application my employer can support me?
No. Link for OINP job offer: foreign worker (above). You need to have two years experience in the NOC. Your employer must be eligible and willing to support you.

mai1995

Sep 17, 2020
No. Link for OINP job offer: foreign worker (above). You need to have two years experience in the NOC. Your employer must be eligible and willing to support you.
Like you mentioned, do I really need to have two years experience in the NOC to apply for this program? As I mentioned, I am lacking 1 month of experience to be full 1 year. So do I still have a chance with this option?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Like you mentioned, do I really need to have two years experience in the NOC to apply for this program? As I mentioned, I am lacking 1 month of experience to be full 1 year. So do I still have a chance with this option?
You need to meet requirements or you won’t be nominated. I was giving you OINP options.

mai1995

Sep 17, 2020
You need to meet requirements or you won’t be nominated. I was giving you OINP options.
Thank you, I will keep in mind. But for now, I don't have much time left because my pgwp will expire. It prevents me to continue to work for 1 more year for OINP option. Do you have other options for me to stay in Canada and continue to work except returning to school?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you, I will keep in mind. But for now, I don't have much time left because my pgwp will expire. It prevents me to continue to work for 1 more year for OINP option. Do you have other options for me to stay in Canada and continue to work except returning to school?
You would need a LMIA and then apply for closed work permit.