+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP Expires - what my options are?

Dylan83

Jan 3, 2018
I have Express Entry profile and I am still waiting to receive an invitation.

My PGWP expires on October 2018 and my wife has visitor visa. Now, what my options are to keep working and stay in Canada?

I read that we can apply for visitor visas but the problem is that I can not work. Also, I read that my wife can go to post secondary school and i can apply for open work permit but the problem is that my wife does not meet the language requirements and can attend post secondary school.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you receive an ITA and submit your application you can apply for a bridge open work permit to keep on working.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I have Express Entry profile and I am still waiting to receive an invitation.

My PGWP expires on October 2018 and my wife has visitor visa. Now, what my options are to keep working and stay in Canada?

I read that we can apply for visitor visas but the problem is that I can not work. Also, I read that my wife can go to post secondary school and i can apply for open work permit but the problem is that my wife does not meet the language requirements and can attend post secondary school.
Don't know your CRS score or how likely you are to receive an ITA soon (and become eligilbe for the BOWP). In case that doesn't happen -
'
1) Look into IEC programs and PNP programs to see if you are eligible.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/eligibility.asp
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/provincial-nominees.html
(note: for PNP there are both "traditional" or stand-alone PNP programs, and those linked to Express Entry).

2) Talk to your current employer about applying for an LMIA.

3) Since your wife will need language skills anyway, enroll her in an intensive language program. Depending on how much she needs to improve, some post-secondary can accept "conditionally" - meaning she has to study English first, and when she passes, can begin the study program.

Dylan83

Jan 3, 2018
DelPiero07 & jes_ON. Thank you very much for your reply

DelPiero07, unfortunately my score is low (under 400 points) so I would not be invited before October.

Jes_ON, I believe I'll go for option #3. Do you think my wife's conditional admission will allows me to apply for open work permit?

Note: my wife first is going to study English language at the same college that provides her a conditional admission.

Last edited:

dap87

Star Member
Nov 15, 2017
If your score is lower than 400 then your chances of getting an invitation is very slim. The current score is 440. Best thing to do is to try and improve your score.