+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pgwp expires one month before one year work experience

liandeyt

Feb 14, 2018
Hello,
I'm currently on PGWP which will expire in August 2018 but I started working a job in my field of study in September 2017, which leaves me one month short of the required one year experience to apply for CEC. My company is not able to apply for LMIA.
Has anybody been in this situation and how did you go about it?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you want to apply based on your Canadian work experience, you'll need to find an employer who is willing and able to obtain an approved LMIA so that you can obtain a closed work permit and continue working in Canada.

Alternatively, if you have work experience from outside of Canada, you may qualify to apply through FSW/ Express Entry without requiring a year of work experience.

IBTWS

Jan 25, 2018
Hello,
I'm currently on PGWP which will expire in August 2018 but I started working a job in my field of study in September 2017, which leaves me one month short of the required one year experience to apply for CEC. My company is not able to apply for LMIA.
Has anybody been in this situation and how did you go about it?
Why don't you apply for Provincial Nomination? If your are under PGWP is because you studied here, so that, you must be able to get a PN before August 2018. Once approved your PN, you will be able to extend your WP while applying for PR.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Why don't you apply for Provincial Nomination? If your are under PGWP is because you studied here, so that, you must be able to get a PN before August 2018. Once approved your PN, you will be able to extend your WP while applying for PR.
Not necessarily. It depends on the province and level of education completed.

liandeyt

Feb 14, 2018
I moved to Ontario where I got this job, I studied in a different province. Is it still possible to apply for PN?

IBTWS

Jan 25, 2018
I moved to Ontario where I got this job, I studied in a different province. Is it still possible to apply for PN?
In Alberta where I live, it is perfectly possible to get a PN having a situation like yours. It is up to you to do a research and see if the processing times are in your favour, and whether or not you and your employer meets the criteria.

Reactions: scylla

liandeyt

Feb 14, 2018
In Alberta where I live, it is perfectly possible to get a PN having a situation like yours. It is up to you to do a research and see if the processing times are in your favour, and whether or not you and your employer meets the criteria.
I researched on that, and I came across this on the OINP

The International Student must also:

• have graduated from or have met the requirements of a full-time degree or diploma program at an eligible publicly-funded Canadian college or university that is at least two (2) years in length or a one year post-graduate certificate program, which requires a previous degree in order to qualify,
  • have completed at least half of their studies in Canada, and
  • apply within two years from the date on which they graduated.
Unfortunately, I graduated in June 2015, and I've passed the two years from date of graduation already