+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP expired very soon no LMO, pls help, thanks

yanson

Mar 7, 2011
Here is my situation:

I got my master degree in engineering in 2009 August at university in alberta, and right after that I applied my post graduate work permit. Because my passport will get expired in the end of April, they issued me the PGWP until this April as well. I just submitted my immigration application in Dec. 2010 and have not got anything back yet.

My understanding is I can not renew my PGWP and if I want to renew the work permit, my employer has to get the LMO. However, I was advised by our human resources that they can not get the LMO because of the relatively low payment. My employer had experience getting rejected before. I am kind of sucked here. Can I still apply for an open work permit without a LMO to claim that I was qualified for 3 years PGWP, but because of my passport expiring date I only got 1.5 years.

Or I was thinking to apply with my common law partner. We have been living together for longer than 2 years. My partner is a phd student at university, who is under study permit. Can I apply for an open work permit as his spouse? Which one would be better than the other?

Thx a lot, very appreciate any advice.

Have a good week…….

yanson

Mar 7, 2011
Greetings to everyone, ;)
I was wondering do i have to provide the support documentations to approve our common-law relationship, or the form IMM5257 of STATUTORY DECLARATION OF COMMON-LAW UNION" is good enough?

thanks a lot,

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yanson said:
Here is my situation:

I got my master degree in engineering in 2009 August at university in alberta, and right after that I applied my post graduate work permit. Because my passport will get expired in the end of April, they issued me the PGWP until this April as well. I just submitted my immigration application in Dec. 2010 and have not got anything back yet.

My understanding is I can not renew my PGWP and if I want to renew the work permit, my employer has to get the LMO. However, I was advised by our human resources that they can not get the LMO because of the relatively low payment. My employer had experience getting rejected before. I am kind of sucked here. Can I still apply for an open work permit without a LMO to claim that I was qualified for 3 years PGWP, but because of my passport expiring date I only got 1.5 years.

Or I was thinking to apply with my common law partner. We have been living together for longer than 2 years. My partner is a phd student at university, who is under study permit. Can I apply for an open work permit as his spouse? Which one would be better than the other?

Thx a lot, very appreciate any advice.

Have a good week.......
You CAN actually apply to extend your PGWP in your circumstances. The only reason you weren't given the full amount you were entitled to is because your passport was expiring. They couldn't issue you a permit beyond that date. So use the extension application forms but explain your situation and send a copy of your new passport. They will give you the rest of the PGWP you were entitled to.

yanson

Mar 7, 2011
i sent my application in and see what is gonna happen
hopefully everything will be okay
cross the finger :p

yanson

Mar 7, 2011
Just a heads up, I called CIC and the representative said I should be able to renew it under the PGWP, but send it by paper or even online with a letter of explanation.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yanson said:
Just a heads up, I called CIC and the representative said I should be able to renew it under the PGWP, but send it by paper or even online with a letter of explanation.
Told ya! ;)