+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP approved, out of country

tmacq721

Oct 9, 2018
Hello,

I have a question regarding my PGWP. I applied in July and absolutely did not expect it to get approved, as I didn't technically meet all the requirements (took breaks in my study for a few years, and studied part time at points). Assuming I wasn't getting a PGWP, but figuring it didn't hurt to at least try, I applied and returned to my home in the states. My part time job in Canada (under my student visa) had ended anyways, and I didn't want to get a new one when I assumed I would get denied and have to leave in a few months. Surprisingly enough, my PGWP was approved last week! I am returning to Canada on October 20th, which was planned prior to my approval (going for a wedding). Now I will just plan to remain in Canada after the wedding and start work under my PGWP. However, I don't have the physical visa in my possession. It is being mailed to my old apartment, and my old landlord said he would tell the new tenant to hold onto it for me/mail it my way if needed. Regardless, I do not imagine I will have it in my possession before I enter Canada on October 20th. Will I be able to enter the country if I print out the proof that my application was approved? Has anybody had any experience in this situation? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I have a question regarding my PGWP. I applied in July and absolutely did not expect it to get approved, as I didn't technically meet all the requirements (took breaks in my study for a few years, and studied part time at points). Assuming I wasn't getting a PGWP, but figuring it didn't hurt to at least try, I applied and returned to my home in the states. My part time job in Canada (under my student visa) had ended anyways, and I didn't want to get a new one when I assumed I would get denied and have to leave in a few months. Surprisingly enough, my PGWP was approved last week! I am returning to Canada on October 20th, which was planned prior to my approval (going for a wedding). Now I will just plan to remain in Canada after the wedding and start work under my PGWP. However, I don't have the physical visa in my possession. It is being mailed to my old apartment, and my old landlord said he would tell the new tenant to hold onto it for me/mail it my way if needed. Regardless, I do not imagine I will have it in my possession before I enter Canada on October 20th. Will I be able to enter the country if I print out the proof that my application was approved? Has anybody had any experience in this situation? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Do you have a valid TRV or eTA (depending on what country you are from)? This is what you need to return.

tmacq721

Oct 9, 2018
I'm from the states so don't need an eTA. My student visa that I applied for my PGWP with expired at the end of July. My PGWP became valid on October 2nd for 3 years. I saw on another thread someone asking the same question, and someone replied saying it was fine if they didn't have the physical visa on them and could inform the officer they were just approved, but I'm not sure that's true

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You're from the US so entry is easy with just your Passport. You got lucky definitely not the typical results.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I'm from the states so don't need an eTA. My student visa that I applied for my PGWP with expired at the end of July. My PGWP became valid on October 2nd for 3 years. I saw on another thread someone asking the same question, and someone replied saying it was fine if they didn't have the physical visa on them and could inform the officer they were just approved, but I'm not sure that's true
Yes, that's fine. And CBSA should be able to print your PGWP when you enter.