+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP: appreciate your opinion on my case :(

SophieC

Oct 31, 2021
Hello ppl, would greatly appreciate your opinion on this as I'm at a complete loss now.
  • I’m taking Diploma in Accounting course at UBC Sauder. (2 yrs course)
  • This is my first semester (started September, 2021)
  • I’m currently outside of Canada, taking courses online.
  • I got my correspondence letter of Study visa at 25th September, 2021. Since it got issued after my course start date, I had to take courses online, outside of Canada.
  • I’m a Part-time student, taking 6 credits.
  • I understand that one needs to remain as a Full-time student throughout the whole education course to be eligible for PGWP
  • The school admission told me it’s not possible to defer my program start date, nor could they grant me approved leave of absence, and if I withdraw from all courses, I will have W standing in my transcript.
  • The school's international student advisors told me it would be more favorable to officers' perspective If I withdraw from my classes this semester (with W standing on transcript) and start / remain as a full-time student starting next term through the entire course, in Canada. and of course hand in some supporting documents saying that it wasn't ideal for me to take full-time course online at that time when applying (I can't think of enough excuses for this as there is nothing though.....it was just my stupid misunderstanding.)
So, my question is, basically, is there any chance for m e to get PGWP visa in this situation? what would you say?
I really don't want to give up this school, I like their faculty and curriculums.
but I also understand without PGWP my 2yrs of time and efforts goes into nothing since I wouldn't be allowed to get a job in Canada.... :(

what are my options to have better chance to get PGWP visa?
  • is it better to withdraw from all courses this semester and become full-time student from next semester even if I get W standing on my transcript?
  • Or is it better to withdraw from all courses and change my institution? (In that case, I will renew my study visa before visiting Canada.) if I change my institution from this school to another, would my record from the previous school (being part-time student) have impact on PGWP eligibility when applied?

Rafaelhag43

May 6, 2021
If I was in your shoes, I would go with option 2 to be extra safe. Spending so much on tuition but not being sure of getting a PGWP is not worthed.

No, you will be considered a fresh new student in a new school & program. As long as you remain full-time here, you should be fine.

On a side note regarding curriculum, I find that every college/university has pretty similar classes for the same program -- well, at least of those I researched around the GTA.

SophieC

Oct 31, 2021
If I was in your shoes, I would go with option 2 to be extra safe. Spending so much on tuition but not being sure of getting a PGWP is not worthed.

No, you will be considered a fresh new student in a new school & program. As long as you remain full-time here, you should be fine.

On a side note regarding curriculum, I find that every college/university has pretty similar classes for the same program -- well, at least of those I researched around the GTA.
Thank you for your reply! my school advisor told me having W standing would impact my eligibility, whereas outside consultant saying it wouldn't. so they are giving me conflicting ideas.. I was confused. I know its always better to be safe, but felt kinda sorry to give up the school's reputation.. :/ anyway thank you very much!

Rafaelhag43

May 6, 2021
Thank you for your reply! my school advisor told me having W standing would impact my eligibility, whereas outside consultant saying it wouldn't. so they are giving me conflicting ideas.. I was confused. I know its always better to be safe, but felt kinda sorry to give up the school's reputation.. :/ anyway thank you very much!
It's probably because it's a rare problem in a gray area -- no one is really sure of the answer. Anyways, good luck and stick with your guts !