+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP and TRV vs ETA

Musti82

Star Member
Oct 9, 2017
hey guys, my wife got her PGWP 1 year for september 2019-sept 2020, at that time they gave her ETA till 2023.

We re-enter Canada when her study permit was valid and we didn't have any problem (as the SP-X extension was still valid)

we never applied for TRV. what i understood was the ETA will let her re-enter as long as she has PGWP and valid ETA.

now we are thinking of going to mexico for a vacation for one week only.

When we come back, will they let her in with the valid ETA and PGWP (she is Brazilian)

We have applied for the sponsorship but its too new(less than 30 days ago)

Musti82

Star Member
Oct 9, 2017
I believe that Brazilians require only an ETA if they fly to Canada. Should be okay.
i think the problem is that its not a short stay, what i understood was this is more for short term situations. gonna check with immigration tomorrow by phone. just to be sure. thanks for the answer

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
So just to clarify that an ETA only allows someone to board a plane destined for Canada and is generally issued to visa exempt passport holders .

Where this is confusing is that if you use the tool in the below link it implies a Brazilian passport holder needs a TRV and do not qualify for an ETA unless the rules have changed very recently.

The tool implies that if already either have a study permit of a work permit the holder should have a TRV already. Also note that if really an ETA they are generally issued for 5 years so obviously if issued in 2019 with the PGWP should be valid until 2024.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

Last edited:

Musti82

Star Member
Oct 9, 2017
So just to clarify that an ETA only allows someone to board a plane destined for Canada and is generally issued to visa exempt passport holders .

Where this is confusing is that if you use the tool in the below link it implies a Brazilian passport holder needs a TRV and do not qualify for an ETA unless the rules have changed very recently.

The tool implies that if already either have a study permit of a work permit the holder should have a TRV already.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp
hey thanks for the reply, i know Brazilians are eligible for ETA thats why she has one, however, she was a student and had her student visa, but it expired, in the mean time she got her post grad work permit(when we applied for work permit we didnt apply for TRV, i guess she should have applied). however after answering this question it looks like ETA is more of a enter for very short term time frame and she does need a new TRV

Select the option that best matches your situation: (required)
I’m applying for my first work permit
I already have my first work permit
I’ve extended or plan to extend my work permit
I’m eligible to work without a permit
I’m not sure what I need to work

edit: i found this : "if you apply for your PGWP from inside of Canada, you will NOT be issued a TRV or an eTA automatically. You must apply separately for your TRV or eTA if they are expired."

we ll double cheque but looks like she is going to have to apply for sure now for travel Visa.

in my time visa was mandatory never had these ETAs , haha now its so complex, i was gonna buy a ticket to mexico, next thing u know i go back and they send my wife back to Brazil :)

the good thing is that now inside Canada visitor visa extension processing is 8 days only.

Last edited: