+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP and study permit at the same time...

hgunawa

Jan 8, 2017
Hello everyone,

I did my undergrad and got a PGWP in 2015 for three years. But then got accepted to a M.Sc (full time, two years) in later 2015. I just graduated from my M.Sc. program. Therefore I also got a study permit running concurrently with the PGWP.

So I was wondering if the teaching assistant and research assistant work I did as an M.Sc student can be counted as work experience for express entry. I did these jobs under a valid work permit (PGWP of course). I have valid contracts and T4 slips from the employer (my university) for the TA and RA work.

Has anyone ever been in a situation like this or know of anyone who has been accepted for their Masters work experience with a valid work permit?

Please help! I'm desperate for any kind of advice to get my work experience/PR before the PGWP expires next year :'(

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - it cannot be counted as work experience. You were studying at the time.

allthebest90

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
Canada
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Hello everyone,

I did my undergrad and got a PGWP in 2015 for three years. But then got accepted to a M.Sc (full time, two years) in later 2015. I just graduated from my M.Sc. program. Therefore I also got a study permit running concurrently with the PGWP.

So I was wondering if the teaching assistant and research assistant work I did as an M.Sc student can be counted as work experience for express entry. I did these jobs under a valid work permit (PGWP of course). I have valid contracts and T4 slips from the employer (my university) for the TA and RA work.

Has anyone ever been in a situation like this or know of anyone who has been accepted for their Masters work experience with a valid work permit?

Please help! I'm desperate for any kind of advice to get my work experience/PR before the PGWP expires next year :'(
So during the time you had a PGWP you also applied for a Study Permit? Seems like an unfortunate waste of the Work Permit's Validity.

Edit: I might be wrong but you technically can't hold two permits at the same time. The more recent one would have trumped the old one making it void. It's basically an "agreement" between you and Canada and you threw the first agreement down the drain when you got the new one.

Last edited:

hgunawa

Jan 8, 2017
No - it cannot be counted as work experience. You were studying at the time.
Are you sure about this? The technicality of this is quite vague tho

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=855&top=6

There are cases when this could be counted as work experience. And I got T4 slips for the teaching assistant positions, have a valid contract with the employer and is under a PGWP.

Anyway I plan to contact a lawyer to resolve this.

hgunawa

Jan 8, 2017
So during the time you had a PGWP you also applied for a Study Permit? Seems like an unfortunate waste of the Work Permit's Validity.
I agree, hence the urgency to actually figure out if I can use some of the work I did as a teaching assistant count for the work experience.

allawi

Star Member
Jun 21, 2017
Work done as part of your academic studies does not count towards your 1 year Canadian experience. CIC will ask you for transcripts or diploma and when they find that your Masters degree was conferred after the work experience you're claiming they'll reject your application.
Technically a PGWP was not needed for your work as I believe students can work on campus with their study permit (?), at least this was the case for my university's co-op program.

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
If you work under study permit, you'll also have a proper contract and T4 slips. Unless your TA and RA duties were full time, CIC could easily assume you were working under study permit and reject your application.

Last edited:

all_iz_well

Dec 17, 2014
You can NOT hold a Study Permit and a Work Permit at the same time. Your PGWP was null and void as soon as you got approved for study permit.
And I am not sure if you will be able to get another PWGP after your MS for the remaining period since they only issue it once.

Contact CIC. This is a rare case of which even a lawyer or consultant might NOT be able to give you proper direction.

Best wishes.

Last edited:
Reactions: allthebest90

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
You can NOT hold a Study Permit and a Work Permit at the same time. Your PGWP was null and void as soon as you got approved for study permit.
And I am not sure if you will be able to get another PWGP after your MS for the remaining period since they only issue it once.

Contact CIC. This is a rare case of which even a lawyer or consultant might NOT be able to give you proper direction.

Best wishes.
The highlighted is not true. Good luck!

hgunawa

Jan 8, 2017

Best wishes.
Thanks! Do you know if CIC directly respond to messages or calls? I thought there was no way to actually consult a immigration official or get advice from CIC unless I consult a lawyer.

hgunawa

Jan 8, 2017
Also I already have a full time permanent job offer. Even then, I dont think I will be able to fill an year of experience to apply for EE. (I got the job on October 30, 2017 and my permit expires in November 20th, 2018). Is there anyway to extend the work permit even though it's a PGWP?