+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP and online classes

Essie

Oct 4, 2016
Hi everyone!

I'm sure this was discussed before but I wanted to ask what you think of my particular situation. I'm currently in Canada on a study permit and I'm due to start the second year of my 2 year diploma program at George Brown.

I know that technically distance education makes you ineligible for post-grad work permit but I was told by an international student adviser at my college that taking SOME online courses is fine as long as you don't overdo it and take majority of them in class.

During my first semester I took 2 classes online out of 7 in total and in the second semester just 1 out of 7. Since I'm registering for the 3 semester now, I'm kinda tempted to take one class online again as it makes it easier for me to schedule my part-time work. But would that be considered "overdoing" it at this point? It would be silly to hurt my chances for PGWP just because of that so I wonder if maybe I shouldn't risk it? I wish the rules were more clear on that...

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

quang940805

Jun 27, 2018
As long as when you graduate, the college provides you a letter of completion state that you complete 2 years full time of that course. then it would be ok, the courseload is arranged by each college, if you study online is the majority, they will write "full time online".

Reactions: Essie

Mayursavaliya

Jan 3, 2018
Some colleges do not give that letter.
In that case, you have to show on your transcript that you were enrolled full time in college over the course of your degree/diploma, taking more than three courses in fall and winter semester (Not online).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone!

I'm sure this was discussed before but I wanted to ask what you think of my particular situation. I'm currently in Canada on a study permit and I'm due to start the second year of my 2 year diploma program at George Brown.

I know that technically distance education makes you ineligible for post-grad work permit but I was told by an international student adviser at my college that taking SOME online courses is fine as long as you don't overdo it and take majority of them in class.

During my first semester I took 2 classes online out of 7 in total and in the second semester just 1 out of 7. Since I'm registering for the 3 semester now, I'm kinda tempted to take one class online again as it makes it easier for me to schedule my part-time work. But would that be considered "overdoing" it at this point? It would be silly to hurt my chances for PGWP just because of that so I wonder if maybe I shouldn't risk it? I wish the rules were more clear on that...

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
There are no black and white rules. What classifies as 'over doing it' is up to the individual IRCC officer who reviews your file. The only 100% safe option is to completely avoid online courses. Ultimately your call - it depends on how much of a risk you're willing to take / how important the PGWP is to you.

Essie

Oct 4, 2016
Thank you all! It's too bad that the rules seem to be so arbitrary but oh well, nothing we can do about it...

I guess I'm not gonna take any online classes this year after all. I don't need them that badly and better not to make the situation more difficult for myself.

Thanks again for all your replies!