+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP and new study permit?

lvb125

May 11, 2012
I finished my undergrad this May and convocated in June. My last study permit expired on June 30. I have since accepted a Master's degree offer and got a new study permit allowing me to continue study. However I am changing my mind and thinking of applying for a job. Is there any problem for me to change my status to work permit, i.e. getting the 3 year PGWP? thanks.

Jd5

Star Member
May 6, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

lvb125 said:
I finished my undergrad this May and convocated in June. My last study permit expired on June 30. I have since accepted a Master's degree offer and got a new study permit allowing me to continue study. However I am changing my mind and thinking of applying for a job. Is there any problem for me to change my status to work permit, i.e. getting the 3 year PGWP? thanks.

You have lost your PGWP. Your only option is LMO based work permit.

lvb125

May 11, 2012
Jd5 said:
Hi,

You have lost your PGWP. Your only option is LMO based work permit.
Would you please elaborate on why I am not eligible for PGWP? I read the CIC website on PGWP again and it appears I still satisfy all their requirements, i.e. graduated from a 4 years bachelor's degree from a public institution (UofT), within 90 days of issuing graduation confirmation (Issued on May 22), holding a valid study permit, and haven't got a PGWP before. Or was there any previous failure under a similar situation? Thank you.

duongch4

Aug 1, 2016
Hi Ivb125,

I am in the same situation now. My current study permit will expire on Aug 30 2017, and I will graduate in September. I was planning to do another degree, so I applied for a new study permit (2 years) for a new school. But then I get a job offer and want to apply for the PGWP now. Can you tell me what did you do back then? Should I cancel the application to the new study permit and apply for old study permit extension (3 months) for the PGWP?

Thank you very much

Yunny

Mar 28, 2017
I want to ask the same question too. After study for a master degree, I want to study a pg diploma to enrich my skills for work, so I would apply for a new study permit. If I get a job offer before starting my diploma studies, can I change my mind by canceling the study permit and apply for a PGWP?

Anyone know the answer? Thank you very much!

VietQ

Feb 17, 2021
Hi were you able to receive your PGWPs? I am currently in a masters program in Quebec and I am thinking of dropping out. I received a Canadian bachelors but it may be over 180 days since I’ve received my diploma. Would I still be able to apply? Have any of you experienced any success with getting the PGWP? Would dropping out of my program jeopardize any future study/work permit applications?