+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP and Entry to Canada after finishing studies

Shimmer11

Apr 6, 2017
Hi Folks,

I am "officially" graduating from UoT on June 20th, 2017. I finish all my classes on May 2nd, 2017.
Between May 2nd and June 20th, I want to travel outside Canada. I intend to come back on June 18th and apply for PGWP at the airport and then Work visa from within Canada.

One immigration advisor told me to not leave the country between May 2nd and June 20th until I have got both my PGWP and work visa (which takes 40 days if applying online and I cannot leave the country). He advises this even though I am within the requirements of PGPW: applying within the 90 day period, and before my student visa expires (which is July 30th, 2017). He told me that I may be questioned at the airport that why I want to enter the country after May 2nd when my course has already ended.

Could you please advise if I should NOT leave the country? Or I can reenter because my student visa is still valid and I am within the 90 day period.

Many thanks.

Reactions: jayreddy

kapatid

Sep 27, 2016
Calgary
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
06-05-2006
Shimmer11 said:
Hi Folks,

I am "officially" graduating from UoT on June 20th, 2017. I finish all my classes on May 2nd, 2017.
Between May 2nd and June 20th, I want to travel outside Canada. I intend to come back on June 18th and apply for PGWP at the airport and then Work visa from within Canada.

One immigration advisor told me to not leave the country between May 2nd and June 20th until I have got both my PGWP and work visa (which takes 40 days if applying online and I cannot leave the country). He advises this even though I am within the requirements of PGPW: applying within the 90 day period, and before my student visa expires (which is July 30th, 2017). He told me that I may be questioned at the airport that why I want to enter the country after May 2nd when my course has already ended.

Could you please advise if I should NOT leave the country? Or I can reenter because my student visa is still valid and I am within the 90 day period.

Many thanks.
That immigration adviser is correct.

When you are done with your study it means that you must lave the country because you have no status.
However if you apply for PGWP before your study permit expires you are currently on an "implied" status.
If you are done with your study and you return the officer will question you "why are you going back?"
You will say... I will apply for PGWP to Work.
[DENIED]
Why? because the purpose of your study permit is to study only not to work.

Best option is apply for PGWP and stay put in Canada. You cannot even work legally during those time waiting.
Once you have your PGWP then do whatever you want.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Shimmer11 said:

Note that as you require a TRV to enter Canada, you don't actually qualify to apply for a work permit at a POE. While some are successful at doing this, many others are correctly refused and told to apply to IRCC for the work permit. Also, as long as your current TRV is valid, you are not required to apply for a new one.

You should have no issues leaving and then returning on your student visa. If you look around the forum, you will find that this is a common scenario.

It would seem to be far easier to just apply for your PGWP before leaving.

kapatid said:
If you are done with your study and you return the officer will question you "why are you going back?" You will say... I will apply for PGWP to Work.
[DENIED]
Why? because the purpose of your study permit is to study only not to work.

Best option is apply for PGWP and stay put in Canada. You cannot even work legally during those time waiting.
Once you have your PGWP then do whatever you want.
Bad and incorrect advice.

Many students leave Canada after finishing their studies and then return to start working. There is no issue doing this and the CBSA officer is not going to refuse entry specifically because of that.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1181&top=15. It is completely legal for a student to work while waiting for their PGWP.

Shimmer11

Apr 6, 2017
Thank you both for your response.

@canuck_in_uk : It would seem to be far easier to just apply for your PGWP before leaving.

My understanding was that one cannot leave Canada if PGWP application is in progress. Hence I was going to apply after I return back.
Is there any restriction to that?

If not, I can apply on before May 2nd itself.
PS: My student visa and permit are both valid till Jul 30, 2017.

Thank you.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Shimmer11 said:
My understanding was that one cannot leave Canada if PGWP application is in progress. Hence I was going to apply after I return back.
Is there any restriction to that?

If not, I can apply on before May 2nd itself.
PS: My student visa and permit are both valid till Jul 30, 2017.
There is no such restriction. You can apply for your PGWP and leave.

CanadianBacon8

Mar 24, 2017
Im kinda in the same situation. My last day of class will be on June 21st I think. Both my visa and study permit will expire August 30th. I am planing to go to the States this print break, will that be alright? I am also planing to go home to my home country may be July and be back here by August. Will they still allow me to enter Canada then even though my studies are done by June? My Visa and permit expires august 30, can I entere Canada then before they expire?

kapatid

Sep 27, 2016
Calgary
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
06-05-2006
canuck_in_uk said:
Bad and incorrect advice.

Many students leave Canada after finishing their studies and then return to start working. There is no issue doing this and the CBSA officer is not going to refuse entry specifically because of that.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1181&top=15. It is completely legal for a student to work while waiting for their PGWP.
I see. Base on my understanding you are in implied status if you study permit expires but waiting for an outcome for your application.
If you are in implied status and you leave Canada they consider your application abandoned.

Thank you for your correction.

krunal2904

May 9, 2016
Canada
NOC Code......
Hi Guys,

I want to share my experience. I was international student in Canada. I had my study permit till March 31 2016 and I graduated in Dec 20, 2015. I went my back home on Dec 26, 2015 and I came back to Canada on Feb 26, 2016 and Once I came back I applied for my PGWP.

Additional Info, When I was in my back home I have renewed my passport so my TRV was in old Passport. I traveled with old and new passport when I can back to Canada.

I believe as long as you have valid study permit and valid TRV, you can leave Canada and come back before your TRV and study permit expired.

Have any question, feel free to ask!

Thanks,
Krunal

Reactions: 17ha15

Naghm

Feb 5, 2018
Hi Guys,

I want to share my experience. I was international student in Canada. I had my study permit till March 31 2016 and I graduated in Dec 20, 2015. I went my back home on Dec 26, 2015 and I came back to Canada on Feb 26, 2016 and Once I came back I applied for my PGWP.

Additional Info, When I was in my back home I have renewed my passport so my TRV was in old Passport. I traveled with old and new passport when I can back to Canada.

I believe as long as you have valid study permit and valid TRV, you can leave Canada and come back before your TRV and study permit expired.

Have any question, feel free to ask!

Thanks,
Krunal
Hello krunal,
I am in the same situation. My studies got over in December 2017, I left for India on 23 December. My study permit and trv are valid till March 31st
I am currently in India and have a flight booked for 14th feb
I haven’t applied for a work permit yet
Should I apply for one before leaving India?

Also, I have been added as a dependant application on my husbands PR who is in Canada now, the PR is still in the loop processing stage, currently he holds an open work permit
Please help me as I am concerned about questions or refusal by visa officer at the airport
Thank you

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Hello krunal,
I am in the same situation. My studies got over in December 2017, I left for India on 23 December. My study permit and trv are valid till March 31st
I am currently in India and have a flight booked for 14th feb
I haven’t applied for a work permit yet
Should I apply for one before leaving India?

Also, I have been added as a dependant application on my husbands PR who is in Canada now, the PR is still in the loop processing stage, currently he holds an open work permit
Please help me as I am concerned about questions or refusal by visa officer at the airport
Thank you
You should apply for PGWP asap because you have 90 days to apply after your school has finished. Going over 90 days will result in refusal of PGWP.

Naghm

Feb 5, 2018
You should apply for PGWP asap because you have 90 days to apply after your school has finished. Going over 90 days will result in refusal of PGWP.
Hello,
I still have a lot of days left, as the college officially got over on January 16 2018, due to the Ontario college strike

Please can you help me with other questions as well
Thank you

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Hello,
I still have a lot of days left, as the college officially got over on January 16 2018, due to the Ontario college strike

Please can you help me with other questions as well
Thank you
You shouldn't have problems entering with your study permit and temporary visa because as long you enter with valid status then you should be fine.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Should I apply for work permit? Or wait till I land in Canada ?
Well you said that your school isn't officially done until Jan 2018 so you should be fine to apply when you come back. Just be sure when is your final date on your transcripts because that is what CIC will look at.

Naghm

Feb 5, 2018
Well you said that your school isn't officially done until Jan 2018 so you should be fine to apply when you come back. Just be sure when is your final date on your transcripts because that is what CIC will look at.
Thank you
It is January 16 on the transcript

Also will the visa officer question my entry ? When my studies have officially got over already ?

It will be very hard to explain that I would go back if work permit or PR either fail as my husband is himself in Canada