+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP and CERB

Oswin-Pond

Mar 28, 2020
Hello !
I have recently lost my job due to COVID.
I was under contract as a Level Designer for the last 7 months, renewed every two weeks and meet the 5000$ qualifications.
But I only have a Post-Graduation-Work-Permit so I don't know if the CERB is for only permanent residents or if it applies to me as well.
I only find people saying "probably yeah" but I fail to see an official source.

Also I wonder how can I prove that I lost my job due to COVID ? Do I need a letter from my employees ?
Thanks for your time!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello !
I was under contract as a Level Designer for the last 7 months, renewed every two weeks and meet the 5000$ qualifications.
But I only have a Post-Graduation-Work-Permit so I don't know if the CERB is for only permanent residents or if it applies to me as well.

Also I wonder how can I prove that I lost my job due to COVID ? Do I need a letter from my employees ?
Thanks for your time!
We have to wait and see the application. This is an entirely new program so it impossible for people to guess what will be required.

adam10

Aug 25, 2018
Based on what i've read, and i'm not entirely sure, all workers who made the 5k requirement are eligible. I'm a PGWP holder as well and was under contract job before I lost my job today!. As a proof you did lose your job, i'm thinking we can attach a copy of the latest contract you worked on, showing the date that got reduced since you were laid off.

However, i'm not sure when is it suitable to apply in my case, since it states " you must have not received income for 14 consecutive days". I am being paid on NET 30 basis, which means i will still received an income in May 1st for the hours i've worked in March. Should Apply on May 14th? or can I apply earlier?

Thanks.

Reactions: Oswin-Pond

Oswin-Pond

Mar 28, 2020
Temporary foreign workers are ineligible for CERB

CERB is inaccessible for undocumented and temporary foreign workers (TWF), newcomers and refugees as well as about 650,000 people who were unemployed before the pandemic began.

https://www.rankandfile.ca/cerb-and-ei-coverage/
That's depressing but if that's the case why did some people at the government said that they were eligible

The eligibility criteria relate to workers resident in Canada. Workers who are not citizens or permanent residents, including temporary foreign workers and international students, may be eligible to receive the benefit if they stop working for reasons related to COVID-19 and meet the other eligibility criteria.

coolgal

Star Member
Oct 16, 2016
Hello !

Thanks for your time!
Yes, anyone who has worked legally should qualify in principle, because they qualify for EI too. The special thing about CERB is that it also covers people who are not covered by EI. It's still early days. When putting a stimulus package together it's common to have gaps. They slowly fill these as time goes by.

There are people who have lost jobs even before Covid-19, no one asks if CERB covers them. There are students who didn't make $5k last year, no one talks about that too. These are gaps that will be addressed as time goes by.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, anyone who has worked legally should qualify in principle, because they qualify for EI too. The special thing about CERB is that it also covers people who are not covered by EI. It's still early days. When putting a stimulus package together it's common to have gaps. They slowly fill these as time goes by.

There are people who have lost jobs even before Covid-19, no one asks if CERB covers them. There are students who didn't make $5k last year, no one talks about that too. These are gaps that will be addressed as time goes by.
CERB is not a general unemployment program. It is directly related to job losses due to covid 19. If you were unemployed before covid 19 based on something unrelated you do not qualify for CERB.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

From another post thanks to @Shivaniarora

https://www.rankandfile.ca/cerb-and-ei-coverage/

It states in the third paragraph that "CERB is inaccessible for undocumented and temporary foreign workers (TWF), newcomers and refugees as well as about 650,000 people who were unemployed before the pandemic began. "

coolgal

Star Member
Oct 16, 2016
CERB is not a general unemployment program. It is directly related to job losses due to covid 19. If you were unemployed before covid 19 based on something unrelated you do not qualify for CERB.
As of now, yes. The website is not yet launched, there could be changes coming.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As of now, yes. The website is not yet launched, there could be changes coming.
They have made it pretty clear already but I guess we’ll see.

states in the third paragraph that "CERB is inaccessible for undocumented and temporary foreign workers (TWF), newcomers and refugees as well as about 650,000 people who were unemployed before the pandemic began. "

Oswin-Pond

Mar 28, 2020
But I don't think this website is accurate, it's nothing official and they don't cite their source.

From an official source we have a direct contraction that states that temporary foreign workers do have access to it :

The eligibility criteria relate to workers resident in Canada. Workers who are not citizens or permanent residents, including temporary foreign workers and international students, may be eligible to receive the benefit if they stop working for reasons related to COVID-19 and meet the other eligibility criteria.

Reactions: adam10

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
But I don't think this website is accurate, it's nothing official and they don't cite their source.

From an official source we have a direct contraction that states that temporary foreign workers do have access to it :
Still says may so we will have to see.

Oswin-Pond

Mar 28, 2020
To be eligible for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit, you must reside in Canada and have a valid Social Insurance Number.
Workers who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents – including temporary foreign workers and international students – may be eligible to receive the Benefit if they meet the other eligibility requirements.
So there you go ! It's official now !
The "may" means that you won't receive it if you don't meet the other eligibility requirements